The Return of JV Jones

Werthead

12 hours ago, Werthead said:

Interestingly, she even gives an insight into what may have been a problem on the delays on the earlier books: she used to write in a very linear fashion, strictly one chapter after another. When she got stuck on one chapter, the entire novel got held up, sometimes for weeks or months, until she figured out how to get past the problem.

When I read this I wonder where her editor was ( Frenkel I believe), or maybe even her agent.

You'd think there is someone who is guiding the process somewhat when the delays keep following each other. A solution as simple as this is something I thought would surely have been tried already.

9 hours ago, Calibandar said:

When I read this I wonder where her editor was ( Frenkel I believe), or maybe even her agent.

You'd think there is someone who is guiding the process somewhat when the delays keep following each other. A solution as simple as this is something I thought would surely have been tried already.

Jim Frenkel left Tor under a cloud in 2013, less than two years into the writing of Endlords, around the same time the massive Tor editing shitstorm erupted. I suspect Jones got lost in the mix with all of that going on.

3 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Jim Frenkel left Tor under a cloud in 2013, less than two years into the writing of Endlords, around the same time the massive Tor editing shitstorm erupted. I suspect Jones got lost in the mix with all of that going on.

Man, there's still fallout from that thing. That shit was crazy.

51 minutes ago, Werthead said:

??

27 minutes ago, redeagl said:

??

You had Frenkel leaving (or getting fired for gross misconduct, that still seems to be debatable and is probably still under NDAs) and you also had Patrick Nielsen Hayden getting behind on editing, which threw Tor's entire schedule into turmoil for a couple of years.

• 5 weeks later...

https://www.patreon.com/posts/i-dont-why-you-15574667

What is in my hands is ENDLORDS and getting the book started again after a six year break. I know I can write now, though I appear to be slower than before. Perhaps it's just old age. What I do know is that ENDLORDS will be a different book than the one I began six years ago. I've changed. Which means the book will change too. I may start from the beginning. At this point I'm not sure. I'll let you know what happens.

• 4 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:12 PM, shortstark said:

indeed, it will be good to get the Raina and Mace showdown. we have been waiting a long time.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 3:41 PM, Werthead said:

The first sample from the book. It's very brief.

What this tells me is that when the publish date is announced, I'll need a reread of the series before reading the last book.  That's ok tho.    :read:

• 3 months later...

https://www.patreon.com/posts/sunday-updatery-20395302

I've been taking time this week to think about the long picture of the Sword of Shadows series. While writing the first four books, I held the entirety of the series as a possibility in my head. I didn't necessarily know  what was going to happen to the characters on a chapter-by-chapter basis but I did know their general direction. I knew the shape. I no longer know the shape so I'm currently writing the chapters sequentially: Raif, Raina, the Dog Lord, Effie etc. Moving the characters forward to gain momentum, whilst unsure of their endpoints (finales). I have enough confidence in myself as a writer not to worry about the plot too much--I haven't outlined a book since A Man Betrayed--but I have seven POV characters here, that's seven plot lines  (eight if we count Baralis which we really should) and it's time I got Planet Endlords spinning in my head. Once it's spinning everything will work out, plots will overlap and intertwine, characters will meet unexpectedly or be reunited, and the series as a whole will move forward. Breaking my wrist and the ensuing slowdown has hampered the process. To get and keep a book spinning requires daily application of force.

• 1 month later...

https://www.patreon.com/posts/prepare-for-21615364

Prepare For Raif's Arrival

The first chapter of Endlords is the next Reward Goal. When I first posted it as a goal over a year ago, I didn't have a first chapter. Now I do. 

I wrote an entire book to get ready for writing ENDLORDS. I wasn't sure it was possible to write again and I needed to prove to myself I have the discipline, concentration and skill necessary to finish a book. I do.

Breaking my wrist was a big setback. I lost three months to it. It's getting stronger.

---

It will be October next week. It's always been my favorite month. A week from now, on October 1, I'll be posting Chapter One of ENDLORDS.

• 11 months later...

Archived