Why do people want Aegon to be real?

For me it's actually the opposite: the chance that there's this conspiracy behind the scenes regarding his true identity is the character's saving grace and an indication that he might be in for the long run. Sure, the whole Young Griff -> Aegon -> Possible Pretender thing is convoluted as hell for a number of reasons but slightly more credible than Varys' supposed baby swapping. 

What I'm trying to say is that I think the one thing that's remotely interesting about Aegon is that he may not be who he says he is, so I don't get why people want him to be the ol' boring real Aegon.

I'm with The Wolves and shortguy257.  Plus, I look forward to the discussions of how the most evil thing Varys ever did was procuring a baby to be killed, a la Theon and the miller's boys. Now Varys is indisputably BAD!!

(sorry; I've been on the Internets too long ...)

12 hours ago, Lyin' Ned said:

For me it's actually the opposite: the chance that there's this conspiracy behind the scenes regarding his true identity is the character's saving grace and an indication that he might be in for the long run. Sure, the whole Young Griff -> Aegon -> Possible Pretender thing is convoluted as hell for a number of reasons but slightly more credible than Varys' supposed baby swapping. 

What I'm trying to say is that I think the one thing that's remotely interesting about Aegon is that he may not be who he says he is, so I don't get why people want him to be the ol' boring real Aegon.

99% of people think that he is a Blackfyre. If you look deeper it seems like he is Lyanna and Rhaegar's baby. 

It would be very very very boring if he was a Blackfyre because 99% of the community thinks he is and there are 1,000,000 videos circle jerking this theory.

I don't think George would have Aegon be Aegon Blackfyre because of how obvious it is on the surface.

Aegon is Rhaegar's son. The prince that was promised. He is his father reincarnate but instead of a preferance for music and weed he likes fighting.

9 hours ago, shortguy457 said:

Why do people want Aegon to be fake? I feel like the story comes full circle with George taking something from the past that we thought was gone and bringing it to the present storyline. The whole thing feels right to me. That Varys' has been the realm's man since the beginning.

If Varys only wanted what was best for the realm, then why did he support Aerys over Rhaegar the first time around?

Because, despite that I actually like him and hope he takes the Throne (which he may do, briefly), he is going to be killed by Dany. I would love the irony if Dany; who throughout the entire series has always claimed that the throne is hers by right; kills the real rightful heir in a bid for the throne.

Alternatively, if he is a Blackfyre, I would much prefer it for him to live (for longer than if he was a Targ anyway) and join forces with Dany to fight the Others; again, I would like the irony if after decades of fighting, the last Targaryen actually hands the throne to the Blackfyre's on a silver platter.

28 minutes ago, Coolbeard the Exile said:

99% of people think that he is a Blackfyre. If you look deeper it seems like he is Lyanna and Rhaegar's baby. 

It would be very very very boring if he was a Blackfyre because 99% of the community thinks he is and there are 1,000,000 videos circle jerking this theory.

I don't think George would have Aegon be Aegon Blackfyre because of how obvious it is on the surface.

Aegon is Rhaegar's son. The prince that was promised. He is his father reincarnate but instead of a preference for music and weed he likes fighting.

There is nothing suggesting that Aegon is Lyanna and Rhaegar's. Literally every other theory makes more sense than that one.

I personally believe that Aegon IS Rhaegar's son, but I don't think he's the PTWP. I also don't see how he can be Rhaegar reincarnate if he doesn't have that preference for music; if he likes fighting, which I think is a bold claim, then he is more like Daeron I, Daemon Blackfyre or the Rogue Prince reincarnate. They're the famous Targ warriors who loved fighting.

49 minutes ago, Coolbeard the Exile said:

99% of people think that he is a Blackfyre. If you look deeper it seems like he is Lyanna and Rhaegar's baby

Aegon is Rhaegar's son. The prince that was promised. He is his father reincarnate but instead of a preferance for music and weed he likes fighting.

50% of people think he's a Blackfyre. There have been polls. If you look deeper you see that many things are possible. 

You do realize that if he's real he is still Rhaegar's son, right?

Back to the OP's question...I don't "want" him to be real, I just think he could be because it's one of the options we've been given and we have nothing that proves otherwise. Plus I think it ups the drama value if Dany kills him and then learns he really was her nephew, or if he goes mad and Varys has to kill him for the sake of the realm.

2 hours ago, Adam Yozza said:

There is nothing suggesting that Aegon is Lyanna and Rhaegar's. Literally every other theory makes more sense than that one.

I personally believe that Aegon IS Rhaegar's son, but I don't think he's the PTWP. I also don't see how he can be Rhaegar reincarnate if he doesn't have that preference for music; if he likes fighting, which I think is a bold claim, then he is more like Daeron I, Daemon Blackfyre or the Rogue Prince reincarnate. They're the famous Targ warriors who loved fighting.

There is alot of evidence for this theory trust me it is right :)

In him being Rhaegar incarnate i mean that he is good at everything he does and he is liked by everyone. Only diffrence is that Aegon has a preferance for fighting whilst his father liked music.

16 hours ago, Lyin' Ned said:

It isn't a matter of want. If he is real then he is real. 

I'd love if he was a Blackfyre just because he could be something like the first Daemon Blackfyre. I don't think it matters too much either way he's real or he isn't he. Regardless I don't think he's going to survive. He might sit on the throne for a bit and then be deposed. He's been introduced too late and we don't really know him. Plus George said there will be a few on the throne before the end so I can't see him coming out on top.

12 minutes ago, theblackdragonI said:

I'd love if he was a Blackfyre just because he could be something like the first Daemon Blackfyre. I don't think it matters too much either way he's real or he isn't he. Regardless I don't think he's going to survive. He might sit on the throne for a bit and then be deposed. He's been introduced too late and we don't really know him. Plus George said there will be a few on the throne before the end so I can't see him coming out on top.

But you should keep in mind that deposition does not necessarily mean death. If Euron ever captures him he is dead. But Dany might pardon him. He could very well live on to fight in the war against the Others.

5 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

But you should keep in mind that deposition does not necessarily mean death. If Euron ever captures him he is dead. But Dany might pardon him. He could very well live on to fight in the war against the Others.

I hope so, him wielding blackfyre against the others would be great to read about.

While the evidence seems to point to Aegon not being Rhaegars son, and I tend to sway towards the Blackfyre theory,  I just don't find Varys' tale about baby swapping to particularly unbelievable. Certainly unlikely, but when discussing a man who engages in international conspiracies is anything likely? The epilogue of Dance shows Varys making full use of his Little Birds, organising them to help kill two powerful political figures. Would it be impossible for his young employees to transport baby Aegon away through some secret passage ways? 

I'm cool with either option, but what i really want to see is Aegon living up to his billing of being the perfect prince and join forces with Daenerys. A united, dragon weilding House Targaryen would be beautiful to see in the main books. Hell, get some more of the silver haired characters on board like Lysonno Maar, Aurane Waters, Lord Celtigar, Salladhor, Longwaters and Darkstar and it could be like the good old days of The Hedge knight, with the Blood of The Dragon looming large.

Archived