Braavos conquest

Why hasn't Braavos conquered the western part of Essos yet? I feel like a city that is the most advanced in the world and is anti slavery would take control of their lesser counterparts. most of the FC rely on sellswords. they could bye them all up and use them as the main force to enlighten Essos. bringing law and order to essos would seem like the best way to prosper. instead the cities are constantly at war with each other. plus a city that was founded by free slaves would try and free the other slaves.

Thanks for your participation!

Welcome to the board my friend.

To answer your question, war is bad for trade. 

The Braavosi, while powerful, seem to be more preoccupied with trade than conquest. Starting a war with the rest of the FC is a good way to upset the cart unnecessarily. The Braavosi are in an excellent position. The city is strongly defended, and they have no real threat to them. 

The 7K have been at war for years, SB is devastated, the FC are reeling from the abrupt change of the status quo due to the actions of Abraham Daenarys and are on the brink of a slave rebellion, Valyria is gone, and the Dothraki have no navy.

The only other power that is even close to Braavos is Qarth, and they are too far away to be a threat and are about to squander some of their power dancing with the Dragon Queen. 

If I was the Sealord, I would sit back and fund all the wars through the Iron Bank a la the Rothschilds.

• 2 weeks later...

The free cities are far weaker but if the brvavosi attacked one the rest would unite to face the bigger threat like they did for daenarys. She would lose hands down if it wasn't for her dragons. The bravosi would also have to spend a ton of money fighting that was and then have to rebuild those cities and deal with the same thing daenerys is. The best way to do it would be to find some way to make the iron bank call in all of the people in the free cities debt and after they got repaid the bravosi send troops and mercs to fight them since they would be in economic collapse and unable to pay for mercs.

• 1 month later...

1. They care more about trade than war and only resort to the later as a result of trade disputes(or slavery).

2. Volantis learned the hard way what happens when one Free City tries to invade others.

3. Braavos is founded upon freedom. They don't do subjugation. They fight it (IE Volantis Crushing/Pentos Emancipation)

Archived