Han Solo Movie Cast First Shot

Manhole Eunuchsbane

17 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Not sure how that applies. GOT is a seperate entity from thr books. The SW books were meant to be part of the film continuity.

I don’t understand your objection.  GoT was promoted as an adaptation with only loose assurances from D&D that they wanted to keep as close to the source material as possible.  And, even with only those vague assurances, I still had (perhaps unreasonable) expectations of the show that were unpleasantly dashed.  So, I’m saying that I can understand why SWEU purists would be reasonably pissed.

16 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

The Xmas special was taken out of continuity by Lucas before the prequels even came out.

Disney seems to be slowly reintroducing the good parts of the old EU into things. I just read an interview a week or so ago were the guy in charge said they have plans to bring in a few major characters from the OLD EU.

I don;t get why everyone says this has a dark tone, it looks like fun to me.

I was laughing when Han was talking to the recruiter for the Empire.

Wasn’t thrilled when I heard Emilia was cast. Her brief appearance in the trailer didn’t do much to inspire confidence either.

dont have a lot of interest in this one but I’ll certainly go and see it anyway :) looks gorgeous if nothing else

9 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Wasn’t thrilled when I heard Emilia was cast. Her brief appearance in the trailer didn’t do much to inspire confidence either.

dont have a lot of interest in this one but I’ll certainly go and see it anyway :) looks gorgeous if nothing else

It's weird, I find her utterly lacking in screen presence in everything except GOT.  

I am pessimistic about this film for a number of reasons.  But so far Star Wars is still a money machine for Disney,

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Visually it looks good. Donald Glover looks good, and Woody Harrelson is usually a welcome addition to any movie. Main guy seems ok, too. My main reservations are for Emilia Clarke.

This might be the first Star Wars without a light-saber wielding, force user in it. I've always felt that the Jedi/Sith or some other representation of them have always been a core component of the Star Wars verse, despite the potential for other stuff, and that's way I'm less enthusiastic about this; that and I really don't think we we needed this film; even less than Rogue One.

But a heist film in the SW verse, directed by Ron Howard, and finally in the summer. Yeah, I'll go watch it.

I'm sure they'll squeeze a light saber in somewhere. Could be any of the ones from rebels (similar time frame?) or Obi Wan/Darth. If the trailers don't go down well they can always throw in some Vader - it worked for R1.

I think I'd be more excited by the trailer if it didn't have Han it. There's something about the character where I fear doing his backstory (which I never needed) wrong could be damaging to the character overall and I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

But heist film in star wars by a very dependable director almost wins me over. I think I'll be putting faith in my trusted reviewers on this one as I'm too torn/on the fence otherwise.

6 minutes ago, red snow said:

I think I'd be more excited by the trailer if it didn't have Han it. 

Yeah, that's exactly it. It looks awesome but I wish they had the confidence to just give us some unrelated character's doing basically the same shit set in that universe.

New Han is just distracting, so far.  I wonder if they ever considered hiring someone who could go a better Han impression to redo his lines. 

15 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Eh, he has several lines in that teaser. 

I'd only seen the Superbowl spot when I made that comment. The trailer does indeed have lines, and it looks like more fun even if it's still a bit dramatic and dark for a Han Solo movie. 

Aldenreich's Solo . . . he still comes across a little stiff in that trailer. Maybe it will be better in the full movie, or it's supposed to be that way - he hasn't picked up that easy-going arrogance that he has in ANH yet. 

14 hours ago, Ran said:

Agreed on tone -- actually, that's the #1 reason the teaser left me cold, I now realize. The portentous music, the dark settings -- the teaser's making it look kind of grim-and-gritty, which isn't exactly the tone that should dominate in ... lets say the "Platonic" Han Solo film.

Agreed on that. I feel like it should be sillier and flashier, and I'd prefer more of an "Ocean's 11 in space"/Cowboy-Bebop-hustle vibe (although in fairness they are hinting that a team heist is going to be the big thing in the film). 

Lando looks cool, though, in both the superbowl spot and the longer trailer. In my ideal universe, we'd be having a Lando origin movie coming out the same year as a Han Solo origin film, and at some point they'd overlap and we'd see some sequence of events from their different perspectives. 

10 hours ago, mormont said:

Watching that trailer, I'm reminded of the line about how Han Solo isn't an iconic character. He's an iconic performance

Maybe Ehrenreich can prove that wrong, but so far... not feeling it. 

So far, I agree with you.

A character's soul is in their voice, so you can recast and get away with not looking identical as long as you get the voice right, and Ehrenreich's Han doesn't even sound close to Ford's Han.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

I think I'd be more excited by the trailer if it didn't have Han it. There's something about the character where I fear doing his backstory (which I never needed) wrong could be damaging to the character overall and I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

I hear you, although I doubt anything a story like this could show us would damage the character we fell in love with in the OT more than The Force Awakens showing us Han Solo ended his days as such an abysmal failure he died separated from his wife with his own son's lightsaber driven through his guts.

2 hours ago, Fall Bass said:

Agreed on that. I feel like it should be sillier and flashier, and I'd prefer more of an "Ocean's 11 in space"/Cowboy-Bebop-hustle vibe (although in fairness they are hinting that a team heist is going to be the big thing in the film). 

1,000,000,000 points for the Cowboy Bebop reference.

9 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm sure they'll squeeze a light saber in somewhere. Could be any of the ones from rebels (similar time frame?) or Obi Wan/Darth. If the trailers don't go down well they can always throw in some Vader - it worked for R1.

Except you can't, because Han can't encounter a Force user without making a nonsense of his dialogue in ANH. 

There are ways you could get around that, but none of them seem like a good idea. 

2 hours ago, mormont said:

Except you can't, because Han can't encounter a Force user without making a nonsense of his dialogue in ANH. 

There are ways you could get around that, but none of them seem like a good idea. 

Wouldn’t have to happen in one of Han’s scenes though. Vader’s scene in R1 was entirely extras after all. I take your point though, and it applies equally to anything Force related

10 hours ago, Davrum said:

So far, I agree with you.

A character's soul is in their voice, so you can recast and get away with not looking identical as long as you get the voice right, and Ehrenreich's Han doesn't even sound close to Ford's Han.

A point of mine I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else - Harrison Ford's Chicagoland accent is very prominent in the OT. It seems when casting for this film they would've tried to find someone else who grew up there, or at least could passably imitate the accent.

5 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

A point of mine I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else - Harrison Ford's Chicagoland accent is very prominent in the OT. It seems when casting for his film they would've tried to find someone else who grew up there, or at least could passably imitate the accent.

I'm with you 100%. It's not just his higher pitched tone that's off, it's the accent.

As a non-American myself I'm not the best at picking apart the nuances of Murican accents - but Ehrenreich's sounds more East Coast to me than Ford's. The way Ehrenreich says "scam", for instance, comes across as one of the New York accents or somewhere like that, although the actor grew up in Cali.

Either way, Ford's sounds very different to me.

41 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Fairly certain Han Solo has a Corellian accent.

Not sure about this Chicagoland place you're talking about.

It's a myth. Like Finland.

12 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Man, I'm not even that excited and the preview was seriously underwhelming.  Anyone else feeling some Star Wars over-saturation? 

Unfortunately, yes. I had a long conversation with my family about this same thing and it made me sad. This may be the first Star Wars movie I don't see in the theatre. 

On 2/7/2018 at 8:50 AM, aceluby said:

Man, I'm not even that excited and the preview was seriously underwhelming.  Anyone else feeling some Star Wars over-saturation? 

Not yet, but by the time Marvel had ramped up to 3 per year I was skipping most of them, so the night is young.

Archived