Bakker XLVII: Eär-War - A Nomen of Onomatopoeic Omen

.H.

“I can hear them in your womb,” the Survivor repeated—this time in the woman’s tongue. Though he was far from mastering the language, he knew enough to say at least this much. She gawked at him, too shocked to be dismayed—to be anything other than disarmed. “Taw mirqui pal—” What do you mean … them? One fraction registered the success of his stratagem. Others reaped the signs blaring from her form and face. And still others enacted the remaining articulations of this ploy … The Survivor smiled the old Wizard’s most endearing smile. “You bear twins … Sister.”

1 hour ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Later the Survivor also hears four heartbeats when looking at the others, two of which are referred to as prenatal.

So has the series eclipsed Berserk for you yet?  *wiggles eyebrows*

Teasing of course.

If you are hankering for more canon material you should really read the three Atrocity Tales, two of which are free on Bakker's blog. Knife of Many Hands I think costs about 4$ for both of the Grimdark issues that it is contained in.

3 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

When Koringhus is scrutinizing her, he hears two heartbeats, something like that. It's implied she is carrying twins.

Oh, the twins she's having - I thought there had been some reference to her having a twin of her own and I'd somehow missed it!

Yeah, what's with the still birth babies idea for judging eye mothers, but beating hearts here? Do they come out brain dead, to put it bluntly? Is there going to be a crazy exception here? Maybe because of the twins thing - a shared soul? Will one be christmas future and one christmas past??/?

Anyway, she's already got a +2 sword for each of them, so that's thinking ahead!

8 hours ago, lokisnow said:

Basically he wanted to concretize the traditional subjective belief that women's knowledge was a distinct unique thing.  Since mimara has unique access to sacred intuitive knowledge, he wanted to stylize her parts uniquely.

Esme has had her own chapters - did they get the same treatment?

Exactly. I think it's less about womanhood and more about time. Earwa is getting repeated somehow it seems, but Mimara is a a new element to the repetition. Perhaps in previous repetitions Esme never had a baby.

This is a pain to do on a phone!

why is Mimara's POV in the present tense? I've found this interesting since TJE came out. She's the only present tense POV in the entire series, so it's not by accident. Since the gods (and the rest of the outside) exist outside of time, does this confirm that Mimara is rendered god-like status due to the TJE?... or did you just fancy playing with a different writing style?

The intellectual tradition has been to assign discursive knowledge to men, and intuitive knowledge (the knowledge of angels) to women, and to insist this distinction is actually flattering to women, even as it was used to systematically exclude them from public discourse and debate. I tell Mimara in the present tense because I presume this ontological distinction obtains in my world, and that Mimara is in fact closer to the god, possessing unmediated--immediate--knowledge of good and evil.

Well, we've got Koringus thinking everything has happened before/already happened and the golgoterath like circles on the map that maybe suggest a repeating. I'd suggest in a world of meaning, to have immediate knowledge would put you outside the circle of repeating. The one player character in a world of NPC's, somewhat. I'm not sure the 'being a woman' part really matters at that point - it doesn't explain away the significance of it, anyway (ie, it's not present tense just because she's a woman).

Neuropathy was an interesting Argument that Bakker stated over and over again, repetitively, and repeatedly, and redundantly. Then, in case the reader missed the point, he did it a few more times. 

Neuropath is shit. Not as shit as Disciple of the Dog, but it's still shit.

@bakkerfans, if your goal is to whet people's interest via spoilers - especially more laypeople's interest - I think your first tweet was fine, and the other two were completely lame. 

I think I'm done speculating on what TUC is going to be - there are enough reasonable and contradictory opinions on the outcome that I think our inability to determine the surprise is a failure, not a success. As an example, Westworld had a ton of setup such that many people were able to guess the big 'gotcha' and the framework of the story by the end of the first season, and the big surprise was how they used that information as a narrative payoff. A lot of people were largely able to figure out things like Mallahet = Moe and many of the other twists after reading TWP for TTT, and the payoff was the climax. I'm suspicious that the payoff will be particularly clear or reasonable in explanation.

Instead, I'll go another way: what payoffs would actually be satisfying to read?

• Kellhus is totally wrong. This is my personal favorite - that Kellhus being so completely convinced of his surety that everything he's done save perhaps attempt to save his family has been utterly wrong, and he ends up blowing things in an interesting yet completely irresponsible way. Mimara and Koringhus are most right and are the true key to salvation of the world. Kellhus ends up being the No-God or responsible for its return, and the prophecy that the Consult are defending is basically ensuring that Kellhus creates the No-God, becoming a soul that is not watched and is self-moving without being connected to the cycle of watcher/watched.
  • Kellhus is totally right. We are using Mimara and Koringhus and Sorweel and Kelmomas as little aspects of his rightness, but only he has all the answers, and he'll happily explain it all in a 50-page infodump. The Great Ordeal ends up wiping out the Consult but not before they unleash the No-God. Akka kneels before Kellhus after being shown how awesome he is. This is what I expect to happen, but will dislike it as it ignores a lot about the TWP/TTT stuff. 
  • Kellhus is a lying liar.  He's been working with the Consult this whole time. He knows that the No-God has to be brought into existence. Mimara is the only hope - to be able to gaze on something that cannot be seen. And doing that breaks the final cycle of watcher-watched. The Consult is totally in the right and the Great Ordeal was a sham. Choose consult! I like this one a bit better, but not as much as #1, because, well, a bunch of rape demons as the heroes isn't exactly a fun story.
  • Moe has been orchestrating all of this. Cnaiur came back, so why not Moe? Why not Conphas? Let's bring back Serwe too. This is another one I wouldn't be that shocked about - bringing back Cnaiur was such bullshit fan service, I'd not put it past him to bring back others - but it would also be one of the more disappointing things.
  • All the women are totally wrong. Mimara isn't holy, the gaze does fuck all, Serwa is just to be used as a rape/pregnancy device, Esmenet and Theli die stupidly, and women in general just suck because reasons. I don't think this will exactly happen, but I also think that most of the women will be fridged to cause Great Angst to other characters. (this is especially likely given Esme's likely death and how it's being used to affect both Kellhus and Kelmomas). It will naturally piss me off a lot, too, making some readers who relish anything that upsets me a bit happier.
  • This is all a simulation. The Matrix/Musk idea, except shittier. I think this one is hugely pointless and stupid, but it can also be true.
  • Love is the final element. If the reason that Kellhus is the bestest is because of looooove and that not only is he the smartest he's the most open to loving others, this will be incredibly fucked up - because raping people for their own good is about the most fucked up expression of love I've ever read, far worse than anything Nabokov ever came up with. 

I'd pick up disciple of the dog book. I wish it had found a niche in the detective fiction market on its first try and it could still find one. To me, its more accessible and likely to be made into a show before the fantasy novels are.

Edit: Lovin' this crosspost

I wouldn't get worked up over the "teasers". BAKKERFANS/MG (at SA) is not gonna give out any big revelation as a teaser. I'd say they are to keep people interested and to spark conversation, that's it. The last one, about what on the other side of the Yimalata Mountains or something like that, we'll when has that even been brought up in the books that something is behind them? That's in the Northwest of Eärwa, far away from Eänna. Or, like who the Torturer's son is. That is so out of left field, I don't even care to speculate on who his son is. These teasers are not the good stuff.

MG is a cool dude, he is just fuck u ng with us. And when I said that in the Qurom to him at SA, he never denied it.

16 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Oh god no, DotD should be forgotten to time.

Do you read any detective genre, normally? I followed the VI Washawski books for awhile and I'd say DotD is in their league, if more philosophically charged (and slightly batshit at the end). Maybe the detective genre just doesn't work for you to begin with.

Archived