How did Cersei get Jamie in the KG

that's a good question, I don't think they ever actually say. They make it out like Aerys did it to piss of Tywin, but they also say that Cersei arranged it. Maybe she planted the idea in Aerys' head somehow. I can't imagine her ever having been alone with him, or just around him enough at all to manipulate him so who knows. that is a good point that should be clarified at some point. 

It's mentioned some time when he is with Cleos and Brienne. Tywin and Hoster were arranging things for Jaime to marry Lysa. Cersei found out and had sex with Jaime to convince him that he should instead become KG and stay in KL near her (Tywin hoped to have her marry viserys).
Tywin was pissed, and resigned as hand/took Cersei home after.

I'm pretty sure the topic is somewhat mentioned. Aerys did it as a gesture to piss off Tywin, because being in the Kingsguard means you're revoked of all titles and claims to land and your family name, therefore forcing Tywin to pass down the Lannister lineage and legacy to Tyrion, obviously a spited being during his time of growing up. 

44 minutes ago, dsug said:

that's a good question, I don't think they ever actually say. They make it out like Aerys did it to piss of Tywin, but they also say that Cersei arranged it. Maybe she planted the idea in Aerys' head somehow. I can't imagine her ever having been alone with him, or just around him enough at all to manipulate him so who knows. that is a good point that should be clarified at some point. 

She wouldn't have had to be alone with Aerys. I would imagine he liked seeing Joanna's daughter around and stopped to speak with her occasionally, perhaps invited her to dine with him and the queen. All Cersei would have had to do was jump on any possible opportunities and talk up her brother's fighting skills, how well he worked with Ser Arthur Dayne and looked up to the knights of the Kingsguard, and maybe add how she missed his company but father insisted on keeping him at Casterly Rock. A tiny tear or two would not have gone amiss.

And of course Aerys would think the whole thing was his idea.

My tinfoil is showing here, but I've kind of wondered if it wasn't Pycelle that Cersei got to give Aerys the idea. I don't like to think about how, because eeeewwww, but I've always wondered just why Pycelle is so devoted to Team Lannister (and yet loathes Tyrion), and he is a known lech.

I don't think Cersei would have had all that much conversation with Aerys, even in passing, as he and Tywin were already strained, and he was a paranoid mofo who thought everyone was trying to kill him.

Cersei getting a private audience with Aerys would seem unlikely. Though I guess it's not impossible Cersei might try seducing Aerys, and/or Aerys would like to get one over on Tywin by sleeping with his daughter, it seems improbable at best.

Most likely she used an intermediary be it Queen Rhaella, Varys or Pycelle.

5 hours ago, Westerosi Coast Gangster said:

I'm not sure if it's been discussed before, but is the common belief that Varys pulled the strings?

Cersei set it up. With their dad as hand, if Jamie became KG then they would be together in KL as Jaime was a squire and away from the capital doing squirely stuff like fighting the smiling knight while waiting for the Sword of the Morning to show up. Cersei convinced Jaime to do it out of love/sex. During the intervening time, Tywin and Aerys fell out and Tywin took his blonde incesty sexpot teenage daughter back to the rock and Jaime was left with only his hand and his sworn brothers for company, until his opportunistic dad saw the rebel victory as assured, then he sped to the capital, married his blonde incesty sexpot teenage daughter to Bob and then she could start banging her brother again. The rest is the novels  

18 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Cersei set it up. With their dad as hand, if Jamie became KG then they would be together in KL as Jaime was a squire and away from the capital doing squirely stuff like fighting the smiling knight while waiting for the Sword of the Morning to show up. Cersei convinced Jaime to do it out of love/sex. During the intervening time, Tywin and Aerys fell out and Tywin took his blonde incesty sexpot teenage daughter back to the rock and Jaime was left with only his hand and his sworn brothers for company, until his opportunistic dad saw the rebel victory as assured, then he sped to the capital, married his blonde incesty sexpot teenage daughter to Bob and then she could start banging her brother again. The rest is the novels  

that doesn't answer the question of how, though. did she speak to Aerys herself, of did someone else mention it to Aerys? I've read each book numerous times, I'm familiar with the back story.

14 minutes ago, Westerosi Coast Gangster said:

that doesn't answer the question of how, though. did she speak to Aerys herself, of did someone else mention it to Aerys? I've read each book numerous times, I'm familiar with the back story.

Cersei talked to Jaime, Jaime talked to Arthur Dayne, Arthur Dayne talked to Lord Commander Hightower. The lord commander talked to the king

3 hours ago, Therae said:

My tinfoil is showing here, but I've kind of wondered if it wasn't Pycelle that Cersei got to give Aerys the idea. I don't like to think about how, because eeeewwww, but I've always wondered just why Pycelle is so devoted to Team Lannister (and yet loathes Tyrion), and he is a known lech.

I don't think Cersei would have had all that much conversation with Aerys, even in passing, as he and Tywin were already strained, and he was a paranoid mofo who thought everyone was trying to kill him.

I don't think Pycelle would ever have crossed Tywin like that. Pycelle seems very much like Tywin's lapdog.

1 hour ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Cersei talked to Jaime, Jaime talked to Arthur Dayne, Arthur Dayne talked to Lord Commander Hightower. The lord commander talked to the king

I wonder if Grandisson (KG who Jamie replaced) died before or after Cersei tried arranging it. Also, it says Grandisson died in his sleep, wonder if anyone was involved in putting him to sleep forever.

4 minutes ago, Westerosi Coast Gangster said:

I wonder if Grandisson (KG who Jamie replaced) died before or after Cersei tried arranging it. Also, it says Grandisson died in his sleep, wonder if anyone was involved in putting him to sleep forever.

I doubt anyone got killed to get Jamie on the guard. The guard is for life, and Barristan was over 60 at the end of the last book. He probably did die in his sleep. The KG was pretty honorable under Aerys looked after each other. It was truly a brotherhood of honor and respect 

2 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Nah.  All Cersei had to do was put it into someone's head at court....Cersei had been at court for a long time with her father and I'm sure she was friendly with lots of people (women) that had the ability to get close to Aerys.  Hell it's possible that Cersei could have mentioned that Jamie would be great for the KG in front of Rhaella herself.  If not that then she could've easily mentioned it to Elia, Ashara, or any number of other ladies at court and one of them could've put it in Aery's head.

I think if it happened the way you are describing above, Jamie would've given it away in one of his POV chapters.  I do not get the feeling that he asked Dayne to go make it happen.

Archived