Moments of Foreshadowing v.12

Lost Melnibonean

Foreshadowing is a literary device in which a writer gives an advance hint of what is to come later in the story. 

After eleven threads most of the low-hanging fruit has been discovered and discussed. But this forum gets new members all the time, so feel free to post and identify foreshadowing passages, even if the foreshadowed events have already happened. 

One through Eleven...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/66352-moments-of-foreshadowing/

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/73174-moments-of-foreshadowing-2/

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/78727-moments-of-foreshadowing-3/

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/81408-moments-of-foreshadowing-4/

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/91766-moments-of-foreshadowing-5/

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/98189-moments-of-foreshadowing-6/#entry5040595

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/101984-moments-of-foreshadowing-7-tpatq-spoilers/

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/104421-moments-of-foreshadowing-8-tpatq-spoilers/

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/110630-moments-of-foreshadowing-9/

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/117219-moments-of-foreshadowing-10/

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/137927-moments-of-foreshadowing-v11/

To start this thread, I thought I might ask whether this...

It was a grey day, damp and misty. The wind was from the south, moist as a kiss. The ruins of Moat Cailin were visible in the distance, threaded through with wisps of morning mist. His horse moved toward them at a walk, her hooves making faint wet squelching sounds as they pulled free of the grey-green muck.

I have come this way before. It was a dangerous thought, and he regretted it at once. "No," he said, "no, that was some other man, that was before you knew your name."

His name was Reek. He had to remember that.

Reek II, Dance 20

Foreshadows this...

Farther on, he came upon a man striding in the opposite direction, a hooded cloak flapping behind him. When they found themselves face-to-face their eyes met briefly. The man put a hand on his dagger.

"Theon Turncloak. Theon Kinslayer."

"I'm not. I never … I was ironborn."

"False is all you were. How is it you still breathe?"

"The gods are not done with me," Theon answered, wondering if this could be the killer, the night walker who had stuffed Yellow Dick's cock into his mouth and pushed Roger Ryswell's groom off the battlements. Oddly, he was not afraid. He pulled the glove from his left hand. "Lord Ramsay is not done with me."

The man looked, and laughed. "I leave you to him, then."

A Ghost in Winterfell, Dance 46

And then this...

A girl and an old man, thought Asha, as the two were dumped rudely in the snow before her. The girl was shivering violently, even in her furs. If she had not been so frightened, she might even have been pretty, though the tip of her nose was black with frostbite. The old man … no one would ever think him comely. She had seen scarecrows with more flesh. His face was a skull with skin, his hair bone-white and filthy. And he stank. Just the sight of him filled Asha with revulsion.

He raised his eyes. "Sister. See. This time I knew you."

Asha's heart skipped a beat. "Theon?"

His lips skinned back in what might have been a grin. Half his teeth were gone, and half of those still left him were broken and splintered.

"Theon," he repeated. "My name is Theon. You have to know your name."

The Sacrifice, Dance 62

And just in case you think that the George didn't have Theon's arc plotted out from the beginning...

Theon Greyjoy had once commented that Hodor did not know much, but no one could doubt that he knew his name.

Bran IV, Game 24

Oh, and note the mist--was Bloodraven trying to wake up Theon? 

I burnt the lion's fleet," Victarion insisted. "With mine own hands I flung the first torch onto his flagship."
"The Crow's Eye hatched the scheme." Asha put her hand upon his arm. 
Victarion shuddered. "Show me this dragon's egg."
"I threw it in the sea during one of my dark moods." Euron gave a shrug.

I wonder what Euron will hatch? A sea dragon, a kraken, a leviathan?

He fucked her till she screamed, and then again until she wept, before he finally spent his seed inside her womb. ...

... She would need to brew some moon tea or risk bringing another kraken into the world.

The Wayward Bride, Dance 26

So, when will Asha realize she is pregnant? 

Asha and Theon will challenge Euron’s rule...

“… you will die outcast, with every hand against you. When you put your name before the captains you submitted yourself to their judgment. You cannot go against that judgment now. Only once has the choice of a kingsmoot been overthrown. Read Haereg.”

Asha remembered now. “Torgon came home …”

“… and said the kingsmoot was unlawful since he had not been there to make his claim. Badbrother had proved to be as mean as he was cruel and had few friends left upon the isles. The priests denounced him, the lords rose against him, and his own captains hacked him into pieces. Torgon the Latecomer became the king and ruled for forty years.” 

The Wayard Bride, Dance 26

On 3/11/2017 at 11:14 AM, Lost Melnibonean said:

The Wayward Bride, Dance 26

So, when will Asha realize she is pregnant? 

Early in Winds I'd imagine... can't wait to see the look on Stannis's face.

On 3/11/2017 at 2:28 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Asha and Theon will challenge Euron’s rule...

The Wayard Bride, Dance 26

No doubt helped by the Reader, who gave them the helpful hint.

i have been doing a re-read and just discovered a very bitter sweet moment of foreshadowing. When old Nan is telling Bran the tale of the others there is a knock at the door Bran is scared and afraid but it is only Luwin with Hodor LOOMING are at the door.

Now that I am aware that GRRM is an expert in Norse mythology it is clear that this foreshadows the story of Hodor killing Baldur (Bran). In mythology it is HODR who is King of Winter. He accidentally kills Bran after a bit of trickery.  It has been obvious from the beginning that Bran is King of Summer (his wolf has that name), which was given only AFTER he chose to live after realising he must defeat whatever is in the heart of Winter..

On the bright side, both Hodr and Baldur emerge after Ragnarok to live together. Perhaps they will swap bodies (or share it).

Hmm...

"The bones help," said Melisandre. "The bones remember. The strongest glamors are built of such things. A dead man's boots, a hank of hair, a bag of fingerbones. With whispered words and prayer, a man's shadow can be drawn forth from such and draped about another like a cloak. The wearer's essence does not change, only his seeming."

Melisandre, Dance 31

A dead man's boots...

"Dareon is dead. The black singer who was sleeping at the Happy Port. He was really a deserter from the Night's Watch. Someone slit his throat and pushed him into a canal, but they kept his boots."

"Good boots are hard to find."

"Just so." She tried to keep her face still.

"Who could have done this thing, I wonder?"

"Arya of House Stark." She watched his eyes, his mouth, the muscles of his jaw.

"That girl? I thought she had left Braavos. Who are you?"

"No one."

"You lie."

Cat of the Canals, Feast 34

A hank of hair...

Kevan Lannister had been here, in this very hall when Tywin had laid the bodies of Prince Rhaegar's children at the foot of the Iron Throne, wrapped up in crimson cloaks. The girl had been recognizably the Princess Rhaenys, but the boy … a faceless horror of bone and brain and gore, a few hanks of fair hair. None of us looked long. Tywin said that it was Prince Aegon, and we took him at his word.

Epilogue, Dance

A bag of fingerbones...

Beyond the line of warships, Davos could see the Red Keep up on Aegon's High Hill, dark against a lemon sky, with the mouth of the Rush opening out below. Across the river the south shore was black with men and horses, stirring like angry ants as they caught sight of the approaching ships. Stannis would have kept them busy building rafts and fletching arrows, yet even so the waiting would have been a hard thing to bear. Trumpets sounded from among them, tiny and brazen, soon swallowed by the roar of a thousand shouts. Davos closed his stubby hand around the pouch that held his fingerbones, and mouthed a silent prayer for luck.

Davos III, Clash 58

The sail was almost on him. A few moments more, and the ship would be safely past, and he could die in peace.

His hand reached for his throat, fumbling for the small leather pouch he always wore about his neck. Inside he kept the bones of the four fingers his king had shortened for him, on the day he made Davos a knight. My luck. His shortened fingers patted at his chest, groping, finding nothing. The pouch was gone, and the fingerbones with them. Stannis could never understand why he'd kept the bones. "To remind me of my king's justice," he whispered through cracked lips. But now they were gone. The fire took my luck as well as my sons.

Davos I, Storm 5

I

Little Walder had become Lord Ramsay's best boy and grew more like him every day, but the smaller Frey was made of different stuff and seldom took part in his cousin's games and cruelties.

Reek III, Dance 32

Since Big Walder will go on to kill Little Walder, presumably, does this foreshadow Roose killing Ramsay?

II

There is a theory that Jon Snow and Ramsay will battle at Barrowton. These next two bits could foreshadow that...

The riders had been sixteen days on the hunt, with only hard bread and salt beef to eat, aside from the occasional stolen kid, so that night Lord Ramsay commanded that a feast be laid to celebrate his return to Barrow-ton. Their host, a grizzled one-armed petty lord by the name of Harwood Stout, knew better than to refuse him, though by now his larders must be well nigh exhausted. Reek had heard Stout's servants muttering at how the Bastard and his men were eating through the winter stores. "He'll bed Lord Eddard's little girl, they say," Stout's cook complained when she did not know that Reek was listening, "but we're the ones who'll be fucked when the snows come, you mark my words."

"Barbrey Dustin is my second wife's younger sister, Rodrik Ryswell's daughter, sister to Roger, Rickard, and mine own namesake, Roose, cousin to the other Ryswells. She was fond of my late son and suspects you of having some part in his demise. Lady Barbrey is a woman who knows how to nurse a grievance. Be grateful for that. Barrow-ton is staunch for Bolton largely because she still holds Ned Stark to blame for her husband's death."

"Staunch? " Ramsay seethed. "All she does is spit on me. The day will come when I'll set her precious wooden town afire. Let her spit on that, see if it puts out the flames."

Reek III, Dance 32

I

This...

"You had best run back to your room, little sister. Septa Mordane will surely be lurking. The longer you hide, the sterner the penance. You'll be sewing all through winter. When the spring thaw comes, they will find your body with a needle still locked tight between your frozen fingers."

Arya I, Game 7

Does not foreshadow Arya’s death; it foreshadows the death of Jeyne Poole...

The bride was shivering too. They had dressed her in white lambs-wool trimmed with lace. Her sleeves and bodice were sewn with freshwater pearls, and on her feet were white doeskin slippers—pretty, but not warm. Her face was pale, bloodless.

A face carved of ice, Theon Greyjoy thought as he draped a fur-trimmed cloak about her shoulders. A corpse buried in the snow. "My lady. It is time." Beyond the door, the music called them, lute and pipes and drum.

The bride raised her eyes. Brown eyes, shining in the candlelight.

The Prince of Winterfell, Dance 37

Poor Jeyne...

II

This does not bode well for three of Eddard’s four surviving children...

Jeyne, her name is Jeyne, it rhymes with pain. The music was growing more insistent. "It is time. Wipe those tears from your eyes." Brown eyes. They should be grey. Someone will see. Someone will remember. "Good. Now smile."

The girl tried. Her lips, trembling, twitched up and froze, and he could see her teeth. Pretty white teeth, he thought, but if she angers him, they will not be pretty long. When he pushed the door open, three of the four candles fluttered out. He led the bride into the mist, where the wedding guests were waiting.

III

It was not until Theon pushed himself to his feet that he realized how much he'd drunk. When he stumbled from the table, he knocked a flagon from the hands of a serving girl. Wine splashed across his boots and breeches, a dark red tide.

Perhaps we'll see someone wielding a bronze blade before a weirwood at Winterfell. 

3 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I

This...

Arya I, Game 7

Does not foreshadow Arya’s death; it foreshadows the death of Jeyne Poole...

Poor Jeyne...

II

Hey, that is pretty good. 

Well, not for poor Jeyne. 

Bloodraven's association with R'hllor? He's a fiery Hand of the King who has 1000 juju eyes (fingers) in addition to his one real eye. Bran wanted to be a knight...

ADWD Tyrion VII

The knight nodded. "The red temple buys them as children and makes them priests or temple prostitutes or warriors. Look there." He pointed at the steps, where a line of men in ornate armor and orange cloaks stood before the temple's doors, clasping spears with points like writhing flames. "The Fiery Hand. The Lord of Light's sacred soldiers, defenders of the temple."

Fire knights. "And how many fingers does this hand have, pray?"

"One thousand. Never more, and never less. A new flame is kindled for every one that gutters out."

Benerro jabbed a finger at the moon, made a fist, spread his hands wide. When his voice rose in a crescendo, flames leapt from his fingers with a sudden whoosh and made the crowd gasp. The priest could trace fiery letters in the air as well. Valyrian glyphs. Tyrion recognized perhaps two in ten; one was Doom, the other Darkness.

That night he dreamed that he was back in King's Landing again, a crossbow in his hand. "Wherever whores go," Lord Tywin said, but when Tyrion's finger clenched and the bowstring thrumm ed, it was Penny with the quarrel buried in her belly.

Tyrion IX, Dance 40

Is Tyrion going to kill, or at least cause the death of, Penny?

18 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Penny will get caught in the cross hairs as Tyrion pursues revenge against Jaime for Tysha?

6 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Tyrion IX, Dance 40

My money is on yes, need to help confirm that heel turn.

Robert kicked his horse back into motion and started down the ridge toward the barrows. Ned kept pace with him.

Eddard II, Game 12

Robert was heard for the grave and Eddard was following right behind him.

II

I don't believe that we will read Arya's death but Samwell call her the barrow girl. 

The three most mysteriously magical houses (for the reader) were at the Tower of Joy: Hightower, Dayne, and Whent (along with the whole Harrenhal history that goes with it). Keep that in mind with the Other imagery in the ToJ scene.

AGOT Eddard X:

In the dream they were only shadows, grey wraiths on horses made of mist.

"And now it begins," said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

Ned's wraiths moved up beside him, with shadow swords in hand. They were seven against three.

"No," Ned said with sadness in his voice. "Now it ends." As they came together in a rush of steel and shadow, he could hear Lyanna screaming. "Eddard!" she called. A storm of rose petals blew across a blood-streaked sky, as blue as the eyes of death.

AGOT Prologue:

A shadow emerged from the dark of the wood. It stood in front of Royce. Tall, it was, and gaunt and hard as old bones, with flesh pale as milk. Its armor seemed to change color as it moved; here it was white as new-fallen snow, there black as shadow, everywhere dappled with the deep grey-green of the trees. The patterns ran like moonlight on water with every step it took.

The Other slid forward on silent feet. In its hand was a longsword like none that Will had ever seen. No human metal had gone into the forging of that blade. It was alive with moonlight, translucent, a shard of crystal so thin that it seemed almost to vanish when seen edge-on. There was a faint blue shimmer to the thing, a ghost-light that played around its edges, and somehow Will knew it was sharper than any razor.

The guards were plump, their faces as smooth as babies’ bottoms, and every man of them wore a spiked bronze cap. Tyrion knew eunuchs when he saw them. He knew their sort by reputation. They feared nothing and felt no pain, it was said, and were loyal to their masters unto death. I could make good use of a few hundred of mine own, he reflected.

Tyrion I, Dance 1

What will Tyrion do with a few hundred of Daenerys's Unsullied?

Sansa Tyrion foreshadowing:

It’s Joffrey’s Nameday Tourney and she’s still betrothed to Joffrey —> Sansa then thinks that instead of Joffrey, she’d rather be married to Tommen —> Tommen runs to greet Tyrion, who has just arrived in King’s Landing —> Sansa then compares Tommen to Tyrion: Tommen = Tyrion (height-wise) —> Sansa ends up marrying Tyrion.

We Do Not Sow

and this, coming at the end of Dany's ADWD arc, her battle between her floppy bunny ears and fire and blood self,

"It is such a long way," she complained. "I was tired, Jorah. I was weary of war. I wanted to rest, to laugh, to plant trees and see them grow. I am only a young girl."

No. You are the blood of the dragon. The whispering was growing fainter, as if Ser Jorah were falling farther behind. Dragons plant no trees. Remember that. Remember who you are, what you were made to be. Remember your words. 

"Fire and Blood," Daenerys told the swaying grass.

are not so similar by coincidence.

Archived