Moments of Foreshadowing v.12

Lost Melnibonean

In AFFC, Brienne V :

The master of Gulltown Girl took Brienne for a whore and told them that his ship was not a bawdy house

Foreshadowing of Brienne being taken for "the Kingslayer's whore" by Stoneheart and her men?

Bran is the wind:

The wind was blowing from the west, swirling and gusting, clutching at ropes and cloaks like a mischievous child.'(ADWD Tyrion IX)

He found himself listening to the night. The wind did sound like a wailing child, and from time to time he could hear men’s voices, a horse’s whinny, a log spitting in the fire. (ASOS Prologue)

Varys will be killed with the Valyrian steel dagger:

Varys lifted the knife with exaggerated delicacy and ran a thumb along its edge. Blood welled, and he let out a squeal and dropped the dagger back on the table. (AGOT Catelyn)

I should have killed the eunuch as well. A little more blood on his hands, what would it matter? He could not say what had stayed his dagger. Not gratitude. Varys had saved him from a headsman's sword, but only because Jaime had compelled him. Jaime … no, better not to think of Jaime. (ADWD Tyrion)

Drogon will be killed with a weirwood arrow:

But then Drogon leapt from her shoulder. He flew to the top of the ebony-and-weirwood door, perched there, and began to bite at the carved wood. (ACOK Daenerys IV)

Here, Drogon seems to display some animosity towards the weirwood, perhaps because it'll one day be used to kill him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2017 at 5:43 PM, Lollygag said:

Sansa Tyrion foreshadowing:

It’s Joffrey’s Nameday Tourney and she’s still betrothed to Joffrey —> Sansa then thinks that instead of Joffrey, she’d rather be married to Tommen —> Tommen runs to greet Tyrion, who has just arrived in King’s Landing —> Sansa then compares Tommen to Tyrion: Tommen = Tyrion (height-wise) —> Sansa ends up marrying Tyrion.

Another: Sansa is sorta betrothed to Willas --> Willas has a close protective brother named Garlan --> Garlan is very protective of Tyrion (assumed explanation: because Tyrion reminds him of Willas as they're both described at crippled and very smart) --> Sansa ends up marrying Tyrion.

"The woman is important too!" Arya protested. 

Jon chuckled. "Perhaps you should do the same thing, little sister. Wed Tully to Stark in your arms."

Arya to marry Robert Arryn by Jon's doing.

Arya cocked her head to one side. "Can I be a king's councillor and build castles and become the High Septon?"

"You," Ned said, kissing her lightly on the brow, "will marry a king and rule his castle, and your sons will be knights and princes and lords and, yes, perhaps even a High Septon." 

Arya screwed up her face. "No," she said, "that's Sansa." She folded up her right leg and resumed her balancing. Ned sighed and left her there.

Note the similarities between this and below.

Spoiler

"He doesn't," Lord Robert insisted. "He wants my father's castle, that's all, so he pretends." The boy clutched the blanket to his pimply chest. "I don't want you to marry him, Alayne. I am the Lord of the Eyrie, and I forbid it." He sounded as if he were about to cry. "You should marry me instead. We could sleep in the same bed every night, and you could read me stories." 

No man can wed me so long as my dwarf husband still lives somewhere in this world. Queen Cersei had collected the head of a dozen dwarfs, Petyr claimed, but none were Tyrion's. "Sweetrobin, you must not say such things. You are the Lord of the Eyrie and Defender of the Vale, and you must wed a highborn lady and father a son to sit in the High Hall of House Arryn after you are gone."

Robert wiped his nose. "But I want—"

Arya and Robert are to be made a match, against their naive childish wishes, particularly in the interest of dutious things. Ying and Yang paragraphs here, it's not coincidence.

Ned's dead, he won't be marrying off Arya, Jon will step into those shoes as per the first quote, as her Lord and KITN. Jon will find out just how important the woman can be as Arya's marriage will seal his conquest. LF will die and won't be marrying off SR, Sansa will be stepping into those shoes, as his custodian and the Queen dowager.

Back to this one, of particularly interest is the bolded.

Arya cocked her head to one side. "Can I be a king's councillor and build castles and become the High Septon?"

"You," Ned said, kissing her lightly on the brow, "will marry a king and rule his castle, and your sons will be knights and princes and lords and, yes, perhaps even a High Septon." 

Arya screwed up her face. "No," she said, "that's Sansa." She folded up her right leg and resumed her balancing. Ned sighed and left her there.

Look for Arya to steal the face of a king's councillor, someone on a Small Council. Nymeria Sand I suggest (but in Aegon's council). And look for her to take a face of a High Septon. Maybe Dany executes the current one (for refusing to crown here which is very on the cards) and Arya returns him from the dead by taking his face, to stir up rebellion.

"Three thousand." The brown-skinned man pushed through the crowd, his fellow sellswords shoving buyers aside to clear a path. Yes. Come closer. Tyrion knew how to deal with sellswords. He did not think for a moment that this man wanted him to frolic at feasts. He knows me. He means to take me back to Westeros and sell me to my sister. The dwarf rubbed his mouth to hide his smile. Cersei and the Seven Kingdoms were half a world away. Much and more could happen before he got there. I turned Bronn. Give me half a chance, might be I could turn this one too.

Tyrion X, Dance 47

Foreshadows Tyrion winning Brown Ben loyalty as he won Bronn's. 

• 4 weeks later...

Take it for granted Jon will be resurrected or not die and live on in a regular capacity, and that the attack on him by his brothers will cause him to leave the NW. Basically what the show has done, and in this passage I believe is the foreshadowing.

Mance Rayder smiled, as Jon had hoped he would. The king was plainly a man who liked the sound of his own voice. "You will have heard stories of my desertion, I have no doubt."

"Some say it was for a crown. Some say for a woman. Others that you had the wildling blood."

"The wildling blood is the blood of the First Men, the same blood that flows in the veins of the Starks. As to a crown, do you see one?"

"I see a woman." He glanced at Dalla.

Mance took her by the hand and pulled her close. "My lady is blameless. I met her on my return from your father's castle. The Halfhand was carved of old oak, but I am made of flesh, and I have a great fondness for the charms of women . . . which makes me no different from three-quarters of the Watch. There are men still wearing black who have had ten times as many women as this poor king. You must guess again, Jon Snow."

Jon considered a moment. "The Halfhand said you had a passion for wildling music."

"I did. I do. That's closer to the mark, yes. But not a hit." Mance Rayder rose, unfastened the clasp that held his cloak, and swept it over the bench. "It was for this."

"A cloak?"

"The black wool cloak of a Sworn Brother of the Night's Watch," said the King-beyond-the-Wall. "One day on a ranging we brought down a fine big elk. We were skinning it when the smell of blood drew a shadow-cat out of its lair. I drove it off, but not before it shredded my cloak to ribbons. Do you see? Here, here, and here?" He chuckled. "It shredded my arm and back as well, and I bled worse than the elk. My brothers feared I might die before they got me back to Maester Mullin at the Shadow Tower, so they carried me to a wildling village where we knew an old wisewoman did some healing. She was dead, as it happened, but her daughter saw to me. Cleaned my wounds, sewed me up, and fed me porridge and potions until I was strong enough to ride again. And she sewed up the rents in my cloak as well, with some scarlet silk from Asshai that her grandmother had pulled from the wreck of a cog washed up on the Frozen Shore. It was the greatest treasure she had, and her gift to me." He swept the cloak back over his shoulders. "But at the Shadow Tower, I was given a new wool cloak from stores, black and black, and trimmed with black, to go with my black breeches and black boots, my black doublet and black mail. The new cloak had no frays nor rips nor tears . . . and most of all, no red. The men of the Night's Watch dressed in black, Ser Denys Mallister reminded me sternly, as if I had forgotten. My old cloak was fit for burning now, he said.

"I left the next morning . . . for a place where a kiss was not a crime, and a man could wear any cloak he chose." He closed the clasp and sat back down again. "And you, Jon Snow?"

To take a straightforward reading would be to trade Jon in for Mance.

Why would Jon leave the NW? Some will say for crown, KITN, king on the IT. Some will say a woman, Val, Dany? Some will say his bastard blood, others maybe his Stark blood to take back WF, others still maybe his Targ blood to take the IT.

Mance is nearly killed by a shadowcat. Trade a shadowcat in for his black brothers.

Mance is taken to an old healer, turns out she's dead but he's healed anyway by the woman's daughter, potions amongst her wares. And she sews his cloak back up in scarlet silk from Asshai, the healer's greatest gift. Uncomplicated reading, Jon is healed by Melisandre of Asshai, the scarlet woman who is adept with potions and so old that she should long ago be dead, but through magic means takes the visage of a young woman. The woman giving Mance her greatest gift in the thread suggests that unlike in the show there will be a cost to Melisandre (Her red ruby perhaps?) to revive Jon.

Mance left the NW afterwards, prompted by the near death experience and having to part with his red sewn cloak. To go more speculative, Mel may revive Jon, and because she did so Jon may leave the NW to do what Mel believes he must, why he was resurrected. But the foreshadowing does not necessarily need to extend this far.

Mance taking the cloak before it being burned suggests Jon being revived before his corpse is burnt.

To throw out other options, Selyse tends Jon him, Shireen is sacrificed and Jon is revived by her sacrifice. The daughter's greatest gift. Or Mel revives Jon at the cost of her own life.

There's likely something in that music line too.

Getting close to the dreaded Red Wedding in my reread. Lots of foreshadowing and ironic lines throughout Catelyn's chapter before. A couple that out:

We’ll have music, such sweet music, and wine, heh, the red will run, and we’ll put some wrongs aright."

Martin, George R.R.. A Storm of Swords: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Three (p. 678). Random House Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

Fairly obvious what he was speaking of here.

“Your fondness for a pretty face is well known,” Catelyn reminded him. “Perhaps Lord Walder actually wants you to be happy with your bride.” Or more like, he did not want you balking over a boil and upsetting all his plans. “Or it may be that Roslin is the old man’s favorite. The Lord of Riverrun is a much better match than most of his daughters can hope for.”

Martin, George R.R.. A Storm of Swords: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Three (p. 680). Random House Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

Making sure Edmure didn't throw a fit and disrupt their diabolical plans.

Gregor Clegane was always ill news, Catelyn reflected.

Martin, George R.R.. A Storm of Swords: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Three (p. 685). Random House Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

She has all the evidence in front of her, but is not seeing that Gregor is being fed insider information.

Duskendale was done and cold; it was the battles still to come that worried Catelyn. “How many men have you brought my son?” she asked Roose Bolton pointedly.

His queer colorless eyes studied her face a moment before he answered. “Some five hundred horse and three thousand foot, my lady.

Martin, George R.R.. A Storm of Swords: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Three (p. 685). Random House Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

He had given her similar looks a couple of times throughout this scene in the chapter. He is acknowledging that of all people in the room, Catelyn is the most astute. Her unique ability is her worry for her children that allows for tireless analytical thinking to try and ensure their safety. Later on during the wedding, she is the first to be suspicious and discover the treachery that is about to happen moments later.

AGOT Ch. 70:

Jon wheeled around to face them, drawing his sword. "Get back. I don't wish to hurt you, but I will if I have to."

"One against seven?" Halder gave a signal. The boys spread out, surrounding him.

"What do you want with me?" Jon demanded.

"We want to take you back where you belong," Pyp said.

Jon will one day be surrounded by 7 swords again after reluctantly taking the kingship of the 7K.

1 hour ago, tf13 said:

Jon will one day be surrounded by 7 swords again after reluctantly taking the kingship of the 7K.

Nice catch. But maybe it's merely another subtle hint at Jon's true heritage, and this was his kingsguard. We're any of those seven still at Castle Black on the Ides of Marsh? 

• 2 weeks later...

Mance Rayder shares a number of similarities with both Bael the Bard and Rhaegar Targaryen. Bael died in battle at the Frozen Ford, Rhaegar died in battle at the Ruby Ford, so will Mance also die in battle at a ford? Fighting against the Others/wights, perhaps?

I don't know if its strictly foreshadowing, but early in GOT Eddard executes Gared with Ice and the last we see of Eddard is his own execution with Ice. This symmetry was brought out more in the show, I think. Anyway, it has occurred to me that while the Starks and Jon behaved seriously Theon showed his immaturity by kicking the head of the executed man. If Theon ends up being executed By Stannis then its also a bit of bookending as far as he is concerned.

On 3/29/2017 at 6:54 PM, Lollygag said:

The three most mysteriously magical houses (for the reader) were at the Tower of Joy: Hightower, Dayne, and Whent (along with the whole Harrenhal history that goes with it). Keep that in mind with the Other imagery in the ToJ scene.

AGOT Eddard X:

In the dream they were only shadows, grey wraiths on horses made of mist.

"And now it begins," said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

Ned's wraiths moved up beside him, with shadow swords in hand. They were seven against three.

"No," Ned said with sadness in his voice. "Now it ends." As they came together in a rush of steel and shadow, he could hear Lyanna screaming. "Eddard!" she called. A storm of rose petals blew across a blood-streaked sky, as blue as the eyes of death.

AGOT Prologue:

A shadow emerged from the dark of the wood. It stood in front of Royce. Tall, it was, and gaunt and hard as old bones, with flesh pale as milk. Its armor seemed to change color as it moved; here it was white as new-fallen snow, there black as shadow, everywhere dappled with the deep grey-green of the trees. The patterns ran like moonlight on water with every step it took.

The Other slid forward on silent feet. In its hand was a longsword like none that Will had ever seen. No human metal had gone into the forging of that blade. It was alive with moonlight, translucent, a shard of crystal so thin that it seemed almost to vanish when seen edge-on. There was a faint blue shimmer to the thing, a ghost-light that played around its edges, and somehow Will knew it was sharper than any razor.

I am not sure what are you implying? That Arthur Dayne got turned into a Other after his death?

3 minutes ago, Nocturne said:

I am not sure what are you implying? That Arthur Dayne got turned into a Other after his death?

Ha! No, but that would have been a fun read.

Just that there will be some tie together later in the series concerning whatever Rhaegar was up to, the Others and these mysterious houses which are all connected to magic. It could be just placing related things together which will be placed together again in the future in a different way.

Or it could be that Dayne, Whent and Hightower personally may have chosen to guard the TOJ because they and their houses know something the reader doesn't and it concerns Rhaegar's plans and the Others.

I don't think this is something Ned thinks, or he wouldn't have gone South. Just using a dream to tell the reader something.

Arya IV, ACOK

If it could burn, the Lannisters had burned it; if it could die, they‟d killed it. They had even set the woods ablaze where they could, though the leaves were still green and wet from recent rains, and the fires had not spread. “They would have burned the lake if they could have,” Gendry had said, and Arya knew he was right.

One Lannister is about to set a body on fire of water quite soon.

Tyrion IV (?), ACOK

Yes.” That fast, she was all queen again. “How do you come to have them? They should have come to me.” “What else is a Hand for, if not to hand you things?” Tyrion handed her the letter. His cheek still throbbed where Cersei‟s hand had left its mark. Let her flay half my face, it will be a small price to pay for her consent to the Dornish marriage. He would have that now, he could sense it.

Cersei has Ser Mandon Moore try to kill Tyrion during the Battle of the Blackwater and essentially slices off half of his face.

8 hours ago, tf13 said:

Cersei has Ser Mandon Moore try to kill Tyrion during the Battle of the Blackwater and essentially slices off half of his face.

There is considerable debate about whether Cersei was behind it, but the foreshadowing is a nice catch, and it at least supports the argument in favor of Cersei. 

9 hours ago, tf13 said:

Very nice catch.

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

There is considerable debate about whether Cersei was behind it, but the foreshadowing is a nice catch, and it at least supports the argument in favor of Cersei. 

Indeed puts the scales back in her favor.

Archived