Moments of Foreshadowing v.12

Lost Melnibonean

I was listening to @Lady Gwynhyfvar and @yolkboy discuss this vision...

The girl. I must find the girl again, the grey girl on the dying horse. Jon Snow would expect that of her, and soon. It would not be enough to say the girl was fleeing. He would want more, he would want the when and where, and she did not have that for him. She had seen the girl only once. A girl as grey as ash, and even as I watched she crumbled and blew away.

Melisandre, Dance 31

...and how they believe it represents Jeyne Poole rather than Arya, which makes a lot of sense. And as I heard them read the last phrase there, “she crumbled and blew away,” I was reminded of this...

"You had best run back to your room, little sister. Septa Mordane will surely be lurking. The longer you hide, the sterner the penance. You'll be sewing all through winter. When the spring thaw comes, they will find your body with a needle still locked tight between your frozen fingers."

Arya I, Game 7

I have wondered often if this apparent foreshadowing of death applies to Jeyne rather than to Arya.

Perhaps the two passages are related. The word “ash” and the crumbling away phrase strongly suggest that the object of Melisandre's vision will perish, and of course, the earlier passage at least suggests that "Arya" will die. 

We know from Theon’s spoiler chapter that

Spoiler

Justin Massey is to deliver the girl to Castle Black, and that the girl has already proven susceptible to frostbite.

It would not be surprising at all to learn that the girl perishes on the journey north. Perhaps her first mount will die, and then she will follow. Perhaps Justin Massey will explain to Jon Snow, Melisandre, or someone else at Castle Black, or better yet, in no one’s hearing in Braavos, that the ground was frozen, so he laid "Arya" to rest, buried under the snow. Wouldn't that fulfill the foreshadowing from Arya I, Game 7 and Melisandre's vision? 

14 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

It would not be surprising at all to learn that the girl perishes on the journey north. Perhaps her first mount will die, and then she will follow. Perhaps Justin Massey will explain to Jon Snow, Melisandre, or someone else at Castle Black, or better yet, in no one’s hearing in Braavos, that the ground was frozen, so he laid "Arya" to rest, buried under the snow. Wouldn't that fulfill the foreshadowing from Arya I, Game 7 and Melisandre's vision? 

Needle locked tight between her frozen fingers? 

I agree with the Mel vision, but not so sure about Jon’s little prophesy for Arya

7 minutes ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

Needle locked tight between her frozen fingers? 

I agree with the Mel vision, but not so sure about Jon’s little prophesy for Arya

How about Ser Justin says he placed a thin stiletto of the Myrish style in her hands to mark her body? 

11 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

How about Ser Justin says he placed a thin stiletto of the Myrish style in her hands to mark her body? 

Haha, or maybe she died trying to knit a shawl to stay warm... I guess it’s possible

31 minutes ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

Haha, or maybe she died trying to knit a shawl to stay warm... I guess it’s possible

Hmm, from the spoiler chapter we know that

Spoiler

Lady Mormont is to accompany Justin and the presumed Arya.

Perhaps she has a sewing needle in her kit, somewhere near the axe? :dunno:

4 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Hmm, from the spoiler chapter we know that

Hide contents

Lady Mormont is to accompany Justin and the presumed Arya.

Perhaps she has a sewing needle in her kit, somewhere near the axe? :dunno:

I know no queen but the queen of winter, whose name is stark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The height of folly was reached when a plump fool came capering out in gold-painted tin with a cloth lion's head, and chased a dwarf around the tables, whacking him over the head with a bladder. Finally King Renly demanded to know why he was beating his brother. "Why, Your Grace, I'm the Kinslayer," the fool said.

"It's Kingslayer, fool of a fool," Renly said, and the hall rang with laughter.

Catelyn II, Clash 22

Jaime will be a kinslayer before ASOIAF ends, when he slays his sister and fulfills the valonqar prophecy.

I noticed this a while back but never put this here, but shared it with another Bran fan elsewhere. And I have no idea if this means anything at all.

In this quote below, most people think the "king" under the snow means Jon.

A Game of Thrones - Eddard I

"Likely they were too shy to come out," Ned jested. He could feel the chill coming up the stairs, a cold breath from deep within the earth. "Kings are a rare sight in the north."
Robert snorted. "More likely they were hiding under the snow. Snow, Ned!" The king put one hand on the wall to steady himself as they descended.
"Late summer snows are common enough," Ned said. "I hope they did not trouble you. They are usually mild."

But then I re-read this chapter and this popped out at me. It could be nothing, or it could be a Jon is a *something* king, and Bran is KitN??? :dunno: I have a feeling these two brothers are going to have to work together at some point to push back  whatever the baddie will be.

A Dance with Dragons - Bran II

The world moved dizzily around him. White trees, black sky, red flames, everything was whirling, shifting, spinning. He felt himself stumbling. He could hear Hodor screaming, "Hodor hodor hodor hodor. Hodor hodor hodor hodor. Hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor." A cloud of ravens was pouring from the cave, and he saw a little girl with a torch in hand, darting this way and that. For a moment Bran thought it was his sister Arya … madly, for he knew his little sister was a thousand leagues away, or dead. And yet there she was, whirling, a scrawny thing, ragged, wild, her hair atangle. Tears filled Hodor's eyes and froze there.
Everything turned inside out and upside down, and Bran found himself back inside his own skin, half-buried in the snow. The burning wight loomed over him, etched tall against the trees in their snowy shrouds. It was one of the naked ones, Bran saw, in the instant before the nearest tree shook off the snow that covered it and dropped it all down upon his head.
...and then...
The next he knew, he was lying on a bed of pine needles beneath a dark stone roof. The cave. I'm in the cave. His mouth still tasted of blood where he'd bitten his tongue, but a fire was burning to his right, the heat washing over his face, and he had never felt anything so good. Summer was there, sniffing round him, and Hodor, soaking wet. Meera cradled Jojen's head in her lap. And the Arya thing stood over them, clutching her torch.
"The snow," Bran said. "It fell on me. Buried me."
"Hid you. I pulled you out." Meera nodded at the girl. "It was her who saved us, though. The torch … fire kills them."

Stannis ground his teeth again. "I never asked for this crown. Gold is cold and heavy on the head, but so long as I am the king, I have a duty . . . If I must sacrifice one child to the flames to save a million from the dark . . . Sacrifice . . . is never easy, Davos. Or it is no true sacrifice. Tell him, my lady."
Melisandre said, "Azor Ahai tempered Lightbringer with the heart's blood of his own beloved wife. If a man with a thousand cows gives one to god, that is nothing. But a man who offers the only cow he owns . . ."
"She talks of cows," Davos told the king. "I am speaking of a boy, your daughter's friend, your brother's son." 
(Davos VI, ASOS 63)

It really sounds like Davos may have signed Shireen's death warrant when he saved Edric's life.

On 5/10/2018 at 9:12 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

"Why, Your Grace, I'm the Kinslayer," the fool said.

"It's Kingslayer, fool of a fool," Renly said, and the hall rang with laughter.

Catelyn II, Clash 22

Jaime will be a kinslayer before ASOIAF ends, when he slays his sister and fulfills the valonqar prophecy.

Perhaps Jaime's already a kinslayer...

The brazier warmed a chamber at the bottom of a shaft where half a dozen tunnels met. On the floor he'd found a scuffed mosaic of the three-headed dragon of House Targaryen done in tiles of black and red. I know you, Kingslayer, the beast seemed to be saying. I have been here all the time, waiting for you to come to me. 

The beast *seemed* to be saying...because Jaime misheard the dragon...who said, "I know you KIN-slayer"! It's waiting for him to come, and it knows him, because he's one of them. If Jaime is Aerys's bastard, then he might be a Waters instead of a Lannister -- adding another level of irony to Jaime's impatience with encountering the gaoler Rennifer Longwaters with his longwinded tales detailing his drop of dragon's blood.

From a psychoanalytic perspective, the subterranean descent -- i.e. critical stage of the Hero's Journey -- is quintessentially a quest for self-knowledge. Down there, Jaime is encountering clues to none other than his own identity. 

Will add quotes later...

Davos, who isn't a devout worshipper of The Seven and who hasn't much objection to them burning(not a true believer, or a false one if you may) has 7 sons, of which 4 die a fiery death on blackwater. The three (headed dragon) will take the power from the seven again.

Ned and co. who are 7 in number defeat the 3 KG of the 3 headed dragon, so 7 takes place of the 3. However, of the 7 only Howland and Ned survive with a third, hidden character making them 3.

Taken together, the false seven will burn and the hidden dragon to take their place will be revealed.

• 3 weeks later...

“I remind you, the Paynes are bannermen to House Lannister. I thought it best to choose men who owed Lord Tywin no fealty.”
 “Very prudent, no doubt,” Varys said. “Still, I chanced to see Ser Ilyn in the back of the hall, staring at us with those pale eyes of his, and I must say, he did not look pleased, though to be sure it is hard to tell with our silent knight. I hope he outgrows his disappointment as well. He does so love his work . . .

AGOT: When Ned chooses Lord Beric to bring justice to the Mountain.

Lord Eddard!” The shout came from the west side of the hall as a handsome stripling of a boy strode forth boldly.

(AGoT, Ch.43 Eddard XI )

foreshadowing the Tyrell/Lannister union, at the very start of the war of five kings. 

• 3 weeks later...

"Life," Jon repeated bitterly.
"Yes, life," Noye said. "A long life or a short one, it's up to you, Snow. The road you're walking, one of your brothers will slit your throat for you one night."
"They're not my brothers," Jon snapped. "They hate me because I'm better than they are." (Jon III, AGOT 19)

And;

"Wick, put that knife..."
... away, he meant to say. When Wick Whittlestick slashed at his throat, the word turned into a grunt. Jon twisted from the knife, just enough so it barely grazed his skin. He cut me. When he put his hand to the side of his neck, blood welled between his fingers. "Why?" (Jon XIII, ADWD 69)

Another related one involving Jon III, AGOT:

Finally he looked north. He saw the Wall shining like blue crystal, and his bastard brother Jon sleeping alone in a cold bed, his skin growing pale and hard as the memory of all warmth fled from him. (Bran III, AGOT 17)

Inside, Jon hung sword and scabbard from a hook in the stone wall, ignoring the others around him. Methodically, he began to strip off his mail, leather, and sweat-soaked woolens. Chunks of coal burned in iron braziers at either end of the long room, but Jon found himself shivering. The chill was always with him here. In a few years he would forget what it felt like to be warm. (Jon III, AGOT 19)

Edit: And these quotes seem to tie in nicely as well:

"The fort is in a sorry state, admittedly. You will restore it as best you can. Start by clearing back the forest. Steal stones from the structures that have collapsed to repair those still standing." The work will be hard and brutal, he might have added. You'll sleep on stone, too exhausted to complain or plot, and soon you'll forget what it was like to be warm, but you might remember what it was to be a man. (Jon II, ADWD 7)

"You are half the age that Egg was, and your own burden is a crueler one, I fear. You will have little joy of your command, but I think you have the strength in you to do the things that must be done. Kill the boy, Jon Snow. Winter is almost upon us. Kill the boy and let the man be born." (Jon II, ADWD 7)

The flames crackled softly, and in their crackling she heard the whispered name Jon Snow. His long face floated before her, limned in tongues of red and orange, appearing and disappearing again, a shadow half-seen behind a fluttering curtain. Now he was a man, now a wolf, now a man again. (Melisandre I, ADWD 31)

• 1 month later...

"When my brother falls, see that no insult is done to his corpse. He is my own blood, I will not have his head paraded about on a spear."

Catelyn IV, Clash 33

As some of us know, a screen shot of the George's 'puter way back when had a new Winds chapter with 

Spoiler

the Freys parading the head of Mors Umber about on a spear. 

Hothor is gonna be pissed. 

1 minute ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Catelyn IV, Clash 33

As some of us know, a screen shot of the George's 'puter way back when had a new Winds chapter with 

Hide contents

the Freys parading the head of Mors Umber about on a spear. 

Hothor is gonna be pissed. 

That giant is gonna snap some major chains!

Archived