Moments of Foreshadowing v.12

Lost Melnibonean

Those were done in maester's ink, made of soot and coal tar, but the message above was scrawled in brown in a huge, spiky hand. It spoke of the fall of Moat Cailin, of the triumpant return of the Warden of the North to his domains, of a marriage soon to be made. The first words were, "I write this in the blood of ironmen," the last, "I send you each a piece of prince. Linger in my lands, and share his fate."
Asha had believed her little brother dead. Better dead than this. The scrap of skin had fallen into her lap. She held it to the candle and watched the smoke curl up, until the last of it had been consumed and the flame was licking at her fingers. (The Wayward Bride, ADWD 26)

On 8/18/2018 at 11:44 AM, Widow's Watch said:

Those were done in maester's ink, made of soot and coal tar, but the message above was scrawled in brown in a huge, spiky hand. It spoke of the fall of Moat Cailin, of the triumpant return of the Warden of the North to his domains, of a marriage soon to be made. The first words were, "I write this in the blood of ironmen," the last, "I send you each a piece of prince. Linger in my lands, and share his fate."
Asha had believed her little brother dead. Better dead than this. The scrap of skin had fallen into her lap. She held it to the candle and watched the smoke curl up, until the last of it had been consumed and the flame was licking at her fingers. (The Wayward Bride, ADWD 26)

Nice. 

On 8/18/2018 at 11:44 AM, Widow's Watch said:

You're pretty good at this MoF game :)

• The weirwood was the heart of Winterfell, Lord Eddard always said . . . but to save the castle Jon would have to tear that heart up by its ancient roots, and feed it to the red woman's hungry fire god. I have no right, he thought. Winterfell belongs to the old gods.

It was a good start. "Drink with me." Dany filled his cup herself. "You know why you are here. The Green Grace seems to feel that if I take you for my husband, all my woes will vanish."

"I would never make so bold a claim. Men are born to strive and suffer. Our woes only vanish when we die. I can be of help to you, however.

A nod to Dany's simpler and sweeter second life as a dragon.

• 5 months later...

Alyn Velaryon as he was when he was summoned by Lord Peake to go to battle on behalf of the throne, a young man of unknown dubious birth. Capable, cocky and eager for battle, reward and glory, as he proved when he rushed into battle in the Stepstones. There he kicked ass and promptly went to King's Landing where he road the streets on an elephant amidst cheering crowds.

The elephant gives it away, Alyn is at this stage of the story a(n) (F)aegon parallel.

A cloth dragon swayed on poles amidst a cheering crowd.

Same same.

Upon arriving in KL the hero, Alyn then has to deal with Unwin Peake, the wily more experienced man who had consolidated power in the city. Unwin outmanoeuvred Alyn into having to go and fight the Ironborn invading the West on behalf of the Iron throne.

Alyn's situation is foreshadowing what will happen to Faegon, and what will happen is this. Faegon will win his way into KL on the back of his elephants crushing all opposition. When he arrives the city will have been in a state of chaos, blood running in the streets, as the Faith and Tyrells come to swords. Thus his arrival will be that of a hero's, as it will bring peace to the city. Faegon will then have to deal with the Faith, particularly the High Sparrow. And the wily old High Sparrow will manoeuvre in such a way that will have Faegon headed west to battle the Ironborn in the Reach.

This has probably been noticed before, but it wasy first time. 

Bran on his sick bed as a Child of the Forest (before we knew what the CotF looked like). 

She was holding one of his hands. It looked like a claw. This was not the Bran he remembered. The flesh had all gone from him. His skin stretched tight over bones like sticks. Under the blanket, his legs bent in ways that made Jon sick. His eyes were sunken deep into black pits; open, but they saw nothing. The fall had shrunken him somehow. He looked half a leaf, as if the first strong wind would carry him off to his grave.

I love that he is described as a leaf. I wonder if this is why George named Leaf Leaf. Also the eyes saw nothing, but the reader will learn that they will see everything. And of course, wind will carry him to his grave...

"Arya has the hands of a blacksmith." 

Arya I, Game 7

Gendry was wearing oiled chainmail under his cloak, she saw, and he had his blacksmith's hammer slung across his back. 

Arya X, Clash 64

"You can still make swords if you want," said Arya. "You can make them for my brother Robb when we get to Riverrun."

"Riverrun." Gendry put the hammer down and looked at her. "You look different now. Like a proper little girl."

"I look like an oak tree, with all these stupid acorns."

"Nice, though. A nice oak tree." He stepped closer, and sniffed at her. "You even smell nice for a change."

"You don't. You stink." Arya shoved him back against the anvil and made to run, but Gendry caught her arm. She stuck a foot between his legs and tripped him, but he yanked her down with him, and they rolled across the floor of the smithy. He was very strong, but she was quicker. Every time he tried to hold her still she wriggled free and punched him. Gendry only laughed at the blows, which made her mad. He finally caught both her wrists in one hand and started to tickle her with the other, so Arya slammed her knee between his legs, and wrenched free. Both of them were covered in dirt, and one sleeve was torn on her stupid acorn dress. "I bet I don't look so nice now," she shouted.

Tom was singing when they returned to the hall.

My featherbed is deep and soft,

and there I'll lay you down,

I'll dress you all in yellow silk,

and on your head a crown.

For you shall be my lady love,

and I shall be your lord.

I'll always keep you warm and safe,

and guard you with my sword.

Harwin took one look at them and burst out laughing, and Anguy smiled one of his stupid freckly smiles and said, "Are we certain this one is a highborn lady?" But Lem Lemoncloak gave Gendry a clout alongside the head. "You want to fight, fight with me! She's a girl, and half your age! You keep your hands off o' her, you hear me?"

"I started it " said Arya. "Gendry was just talking."

"Leave the boy, Lem," said Harwin. "Arya did start it, I have no doubt. She was much the same at Winterfell."

Tom winked at her as he sang:

And how she smiled and how she laughed,

the maiden of the tree.

She spun away and said to him, no featherbed for me.

I'll wear a gown of golden leaves,

and bind my hair with grass,

But you can be my forest love,

and me your forest lass.

Arya IV, Storm 22

• 2 weeks later...

When he got out from under it and scrambled up near the sky, Bran could see all of Winterfell in a glance. He liked the way it looked, spread out beneath him, only birds wheeling over his head while all the lifie of the castle went on below. Bran could perch for hours among the shapeless, rain-worn gargoyles that brooded over the First Keep, watching it all: the men drilling with wood and steel in the yard, the cooks tending their vegetabales in the glass garden, restless dogs running back and forth in the kennels, the silence of the godswood, the girls gossing beside the washing well. It made him feel like he was lord of the castle, in a way even Robb would never know. (Bran II, AGoT 8)

I guess that's that!

Jaime Lannister regarded his brother thoughtfully with those cool green eyes. "Stark will never consent to leave Winterfell with his son lingering in the shadow of death."
"He will if Robert commands it," Tyrion said. "And Robert will command it. There is nothing Lord Eddard can do for the boy in any case."
"He could end his torment," Jaime said. "I would, if it were my son. It would be a mercy." (Tyrion I, AGoT 9)

Jaime has one son who is still alive and who may be marked for death if we go by what Maggy the Frog told Cersei.

(Also, Myrcella is never mentioned, but she's essentially been disfigured after her attack, making her join the rank of the "grotesques" as Jaime put it).

• 1 month later...

I don't know if this was ever brought up;

A mob of men followed him up the slope, dirty and dented and grinning, with Theon and the Greatjon at their head. Between them they dragged Ser Jaime Lannister. They threw him down in front of her horse. "The Kingslayer," Hal announced, unnecessarily.
Lannister raised his head. "Lady Stark," he said from his knees. Blood ran down one cheek from a gash across his scalp, but the pale light dawn had put the glint of gold back in his hair. "I would offer you my sword, but I seem to have mislaid it." (Catelyn X, AGoT 63)

Last we see Jaime, he leaves Pennytree with Brienne and she is supposed to deliver him to Lady Stoneheart and the BwB.

It almost seems like we're going to get a repeat of what happened at whispering wood.

• 2 months later...

This is after Jaime and Brienne are rounded up by the Brave Companions;

The Dornishman bound them back to back atop Brienne's plow horse while the other Mummers were stripping Cleos Frey to his skin to divvy up his possessions. Rorge won the bloodstained surcoat with its proud Lannister and Frey quarterings. The arrows had punched holes through lions and towers alike.

• 3 weeks later...

So I was rereading Jaime's weirwood fever dream and I came out with some observations. The dream takes place below Casterly Rock, but it sounds like the setting is maybe used as a stand-in for hollow hill. I think there is some foreshadowing going on here of future events.

First thing is this;

"Us? This is your place, Brother. This is your darkness." Her torch was the only light in the cavern. Her torch was the only light in the world. She turned to go.
"Stay with me," Jaime pleaded. "Don't leave me here alone." But they were leaving. "Don't leave me in the dark!" Something terrible lived down here. "Give me a sword, at least."

"I gave you a sword," Lord Tywin said. (Jaime VI, ASoS 44)

This is interesting because earlier in the story we see the gift that Tywin plans on giving Jaime, a Valyrian steel sword. And later, Jaime receives the sword and turns around and gives it to Brienne.

From behind came a great splash. Jaime whirled toward the sound . . . but the faint light revealed only Brienne of Tarth, her hands bound in heavy chains. "I swore to keep you safe," the wench said stubbornly. "I swore an oath." Naked, she raised her hands to Jaime. "Ser. Please. If you would be so good."
The steel links parted like silk. "A sword," Brienne begged, and there it was, scabbard, belt, and all. She buckled it around her thick waist. "The light was so dim that Jaime could scarcely see her, though they stood a scant few feet apart. In this light she could almost be a beauty, he thought. In this light she could almost be a knight. Brienne's sword took flame as well, burning silvery blue. The darkness retreated a little more. (Jaime VI, ASoS 44)

Brienne swore an oath to Catelyn to keep Jaime safe and deliver him to King's Landing. We don't know if she was made to swear another to Lady Stoneheart before she rode out to find Jaime (I think there's a good chance she did).

Brienne felt the hemp constricting, digging into her skin, jerking her chin upward. Ser Hyle was cursing them eloquently, but not the boy. Podrick never lifted his eyes, not even when his feet were jerked up off the ground. If this is another dream, it is time for me to awaken. If this is real, it is time for me to die. All she could see was Podrick, the noose around his thin neck, his legs twitching. Her mouth open. Pod was kicking, choking, dying. Brienne sucked the air in desperately, even as the rope was strangling her. Nothing had ever hurt so much.
She screamed a word. (Brienne VIII, AFFC 42)

GRRM told us that the word Brienne screamed was "sword," which is what she is asking of Jaime. Then she goes to find find Jaime and Pennytree.

"Do they keep a bear down here?" Brienne was moving, slow and wary, sword in hand; step, turn, and listen. Each step made a little splash. "A cave lion? Direwolves? Some bear? Tell me, Jaime. What lives here? What lives in the darkness?"
"Doom."
No bear, he knew. No lion. "Only doom." (Jaime VI, ASoS 44, p. 610-1)

Brienne asks Jaime if they keep a bear down where they are. When Jaime rides back to Harrenhal, he finds Brienne fighting a bear. 

And his answer about only doom waiting for them is rather accurate if he is headed to hollow hill.

Jaime, we assume, is being taken to hollow hill by Brienne to be confronted by Lady Stoneheart and the BwB. So his answer about only doom waiting for them is And there is a confrontation of sorts in Jaime's fever dream, between him and Rhaegar and the deceased Kingsguard.

"I swore an oath to keep him safe," she said to Rhaegar's shade. "I swore a holy oath."
"We all swear oaths," said Ser Arthur Dayne, so sadly.
The shades dismounted from their ghostly horses. When they drew their longswords, it made not a sound. "He was going to burn the city," Jaime said. "To leave Robert only ashes."
"He was your king," said Darry.
"You swore to keep him safe," said Whent.
"And the children, them as well," said Prince Lewyn.
Prince Rhaegar burned with a cold light, now white, now red, now dark. "I left my wife and children in your hands."
"I never thought he'd hurt them." Jaime's sword was burning less brightly now. "I was with the king . . ."
"Killing the king," said Ser Arthur.
"Cutting his throat," said Prince Lewyn.
"The king you had sworn to die for," said the White Bull. (Jaime VI, ASoS 44)

This sort of confrontation is kind of interesting. Rhaegar talks about leaving his wife and children under Jaime's protection. He doesn't even seem to be concerned with the fact that Jaime killed Aerys. But he reproaches him the deaths of wife and children.

The Kingsguard, though, because of their oath reproach Jaime the murder of Aerys, all five of them do, and Lewyn Martell brings up the children as well because he was their uncle. 

Bran was pushed out the window by Jaime, something he acknowledged to Catelyn. And then we have the whole business of "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" at the Red Wedding. That's two of her children's faiths she can lay at Jaime's feet, plus the BwB is not exactly fair when it comes to delivering justice as we saw with all those accusations leveled at Sandor Clegane.

But I think there are elements in the fever dream that foreshadow and might parallel the confrontation between Jaime and LS. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think know if this was brought up before. This had me wondering if this is foreshadowing for the destruction or partial destruction of the Twins and Casterly Rock.

She threw back the shutters and shivered as gooseprickles rose along her arms. There were clouds massing in the eastern sky, pierced by shafts of sunlight. They look like two huge castles, afloat in the morning sky. Sansa could see their walls of tumbled stone, their mighty keeps and barbicans. Wispy banners swirled from atop their towers and reached for the fast-fading stars. The sun was coming up behind them, and she watched them go from black to grey to a thousand shades or rose and gold and crimson. Soon the wind mushed them together, and there was only one castle where there had been two.
[snip] "Come, see," she told them. "There's a castle in the sky."
They came to have a look. "It's made of gold." Shae had short dark hair and bold eyes. [snip] "A castle all of gold, there's a sight I'd like to see."
"A castle, is it?" Brella had to squint. "That tower's tumbling over, looks. It's all ruins, that is." (Sansa IV, ASoS 59)

It seems like there's a reference here to the the Twins, two huge castles. The clouds change colors because of the rising sun and we end with Lannister colors, gold and crimson. Then Sansa's mentions that the wind mushes the two castles together and there's only one left.

Shae mentions the castle being made of gold which could be a Lannister reference. Casterly Rock itself isn't made of gold, but there is gold in its depths.

Then Brella tells them that the tower is tumbling over and that the castle is a ruin. 

Sansa, Brella and Shae express what they see and I think there could be something here as to the future of the Twins and the Rock.

It could also be used symbolically for the Freys and Lannisters themselves, in the same way Cleos Frey's quartered sigil (with Lannister and Frey sigils) was punched by arrows when he was killed.

I wonder if there is some foreshadowing in the tale of Alaric Stark in Fire & Blood? The Night’s Watch uprising that led to the death of his older brother Walton, Lord of Winterfell, has similarities with Janos’s banishment and with Cersei’s plot to send disloyal men to the Night’s Watch. That the ringleader of the uprising was named Olyver seems to be too coincidental to the Ollie character in the show. That Ser Olyver and Ser Raymund attempted to set themselves up as lords of castles belonging to the Night’s Watch sounds similar to Stannis’s plan to take the Nightfort and possibly install his own captains as lords of other Night’s Watch castles. After beheading Olyver with Ice, Lord Walton pursued the fleeing mutineers into the Haunted Forest, where he was set upon by giants. He slew two of the giants, but was ripped apart by others.

This one stands out for me:

A Storm of Swords - Jaime IV

"The Boltons skin their enemies." Jaime remembered that much about the northman. Tyrion would have known all there was to know about the Lord of the Dreadfort, but Tyrion was a thousand leagues away, with Cersei. I cannot die while Cersei lives, he told himself. We will die together as we were born together.

53 minutes ago, LynnS said:

This one stands out for me:

It sure does. There is little doubt in my mind that Jaime will off his sister fulfilling the valonqar prophecy, but I think Jaime might end up taking the black, unwittingly protecting Rhaegar's son as he was charged to do. 

On 7/17/2019 at 7:30 AM, Alexis-something-Rose said:

From behind came a great splash. Jaime whirled toward the sound . . . but the faint light revealed only Brienne of Tarth, her hands bound in heavy chains. "I swore to keep you safe," the wench said stubbornly. "I swore an oath." Naked, she raised her hands to Jaime.

"I swore an oath to keep him safe," she said to Rhaegar's shade. "I swore a holy oath."
"We all swear oaths," said Ser Arthur Dayne, so sadly.
The shades dismounted from their ghostly horses. When they drew their longswords, it made not a sound. "He was going to burn the city," Jaime said. "To leave Robert only ashes."
"He was your king," said Darry.
"You swore to keep him safe," said Whent.
"And the children, them as well," said Prince Lewyn.

Prince Rhaegar burned with a cold light, now white, now red, now dark. "I left my wife and children in your hands."
"I never thought he'd hurt them." Jaime's sword was burning less brightly now. "I was with the king . . ."
"Killing the king," said Ser Arthur.
"Cutting his throat," said Prince Lewyn.
"The king you had sworn to die for," said the White Bull. (Jaime VI, ASoS 44)

Brienne's nightmare:

All the candles were guttering out and the cold was thick around her. Something was moving through green darkness, something foul and horrible was hurtling toward her king. She wanted to protect him, but her limbs felt stiff and frozen, and it took more strength than she had just to lift her hand. And when the shadow sword sliced through the green steel gorget and the blood began to flow, she saw that the dying king was not Renly after all but

Jaime Lannister, and she had failed him.

In Jaime's fever dream, the same comments to Jamie made by the shades of the Kingsguard also apply to Brienne.  She swore an oath to protect her king, she was a member of the Kingsguard, Renly's throat was slit (and she is blamed for it), and she swore to find and protect Sansa and Arya.  She failed the same as Jamie.

Their fates are intertwined at this point and I agree something dark is going to happen between them and LSH.

• 3 weeks later...

“Poison. It had to be poison. The honeyed locusts. Hizdahr urged them on me, but Belwas ate them all. She had made Hizdahr her king, taken him into her bed, opened the fighting pits for him, he had no reason to want her dead. Yet who else could it have been? Reznak, her perfumed seneschal? The Yunkai'i? The Sons of the Harpy?

Off in the distance, a wolf howled. The sound made her feel sad and lonely, but no less hungry.”

A wolf howling “answers” Dany’s broader question about betrayals. Later she thinks of being eaten by wolves and lions. Tyrion and a Stark will betray her.

"Thrice I flew Silverwing high above Castle Black, and thrice I tried to take her north beyond the Wall, Alysanne wrote to Jaehaerys, "but every time she veered back south again and refused to go. Never before has she refused to take me where I wished to go. I laughed about it when I came down again, so the black brothers would not realize anything was amiss, but it troubled me then and it troubles me still."

Jaehaerys and Alysanne, Fire and Blood

Drogon et al. will refuse to fly beyond the Wall. 

Archived