Moments of Foreshadowing v.12

Lost Melnibonean

Illyrio's fate...

Illyrio was reclining on a padded couch, gobbling hot peppers and pearl onions from a wooden bowl. His brow was dotted with beads of sweat, his pig's eyes shining above his fat cheeks. Jewels danced when he moved his hands; onyx and opal, tiger's eye and tourmaline, ruby, amethyst, sapphire, emerald, jet and jade, a black diamond, and a green pearl. I could live for years on his rings, Tyrion mused, though I' d need a cleaver to claim them.

Tyrion I, Dance 1

The corsairs had come aboard in the darkness before the dawn, as the Meadowlark was anchored off the coast of the Disputed Lands. The crew had beaten them off, at the cost of twelve lives. Afterward the sailors stripped the dead corsairs of boots and belts and weapons, divvied up their purses, and yanked gemstones from their ears and rings from their fingers. One of the corpses was so fat that the ships cook had to cut his fingers off with a meat cleaver to claim his rings. It took three Meadowlarks to roll the body into the sea. The other pirates were chucked in after him, without a word of prayer or ceremony. 

The Merchant's Man, Dance 6

On that dire day, a dozen of Flea Bottom's less savory denizens were chasing a piglet down an alley when they chanced to come upon Lord Rego moving through the streets. ...

... Even then his assailants were not done with him. Before they ran, they ripped of his fine clothes and cut off all his fingers to lay claim to his rings. 

The Long Reign, Fire and Blood

• 2 weeks later...

People probably noticed this already, but, the Stoneheart foreshadowing very early on:

"We learned that to our sorrow, Ser Donnel," Catelyn said. Sometimes she felt as though her heart had turned to stone; six brave men had died to bring her this far, and she could not even find it in her to weep for them. Even their names were fading. - Catelyn, AGOT VI

Daenerys has similar heart imagery about corruption:

A long stone table filled this room. Above it floated a human heart, swollen and blue with corruption, yet still alive. It beat, a deep ponderous throb of sound, and each pulse sent out a wash of indigo light. The figures around the table were no more than blue shadows. As Dany walked to the empty chair at the foot of the table, they did not stir, nor speak, nor turn to face her. There was no sound but the slow, deep beat of the rotting heart.” - Daenerys IV ACOK

Dany with a warning that she’ll become like the bricks that make up Astapor:

"Then leave this place before your heart turns to brick as well. Sail this very night, on the evening tide."

Would that I could, thought Dany. "When I leave Astapor it must be with an army, Ser Jorah says." - Daenerys II ASOS 

Dany as Kurtz from Conrad?

“Daenerys Targaryen stepped into the hot heart of darkness and stopped at the lip of a deep pit.” - Daenerys II, ADWD

Arya, with a heart dark from grief:

“You are cruel to come to my hill, cruel. I gorged on grief at Summerhall, I need none of yours. Begone from here, dark heart. Begone!" - Arya VIII, ASOS

Jon, with a black heart meaning turning away from family, which he does not do, but could still do later:

“Dark dreams, he thought, and guilt. His thoughts kept returning to Arya. There is no way I can help her. I put all kin aside when I said my words. If one of my men told me his sister was in peril, I would tell him that was no concern of his. Once a man had said the words his blood was black. Black as a bastard's heart.” - Jon VI, ADWD

• 2 weeks later...

Although dragon gender is tricky, and it's even possible they might be able to produce eggs asexually, Caraxes is said to be male, and Vhagar and Syrax are female. Just before all of the Targaryen dragons begin their fateful dance, Caraxes, Vhagar, and Syrex are ridden together often by their riders Daemon, his second wife Laena, and his niece Rhaenyra, respectively. That we are told that Syrax produces several clutches of eggs during this period foreshadows the future relationship between Daeman and Rhaenyra. 

ETA

Laena was totally pushed down those tower steps to her death, and I got ten thousand dragons says that Daemon paid Ser Qarl to off Laenor, and then offed Ser Qarl himself as Mushroom testifies. 

Initially both claimants to the Iron Throne flew the three-headed dragon of House Targaryen, red on black, but by the end of 129 AC, both Aegon and Rhaenyra had introduced variations to distinguish their own supporters from their foes. The king changed the color of the dragon on his banners from red to gold, to celebrate the brilliant golden scales of his dragon, Sunfyre...

The Red Dragon and the Gold, Fire and Blood

I got a copper says our wee Aegon, the noblest lad that ever lived, changes the color of the dragon on his banners from red to green. 

I, and others, have argued that Brown Ben Plumm will ride Viserion. Part of that argument is that Tyrion will help him do it. I am just now noticing that when Jacaerys called on the dragonseeds of Dragonstone, including Nettles, to claim the riderless dragons of the island, he did so at the suggestion of Mushroom the dwarf. 

Maester Pylos trying to kill Melisandre with the Strangler....Foreshadowing Littlefinger being associated with the Strangler before he helps kill Joffrey:

On the bottom shelf behind a row of salves in squat clay jars he found a vial of indigo glass, no larger than his little finger. -ACOK, Prologue

The chain around his throat felt very heavy. He touched one of the crystals lightly with the tips of his little finger.  -ACOK, Prologue.

• 3 weeks later...

"When the hammer shall fall upon the dragon, a new king shall arise, and none shall stand before him." 

Rhaenyra Triumphant, Fire and Blood

Foreshadows Robert's Rebellion, and suggests that Robert's Rebellion was not an accident of history but a necessary antecedant to the promised prince. 

I am wondering whether Queen Helaena's possible murder might foreshadow Margaery's fate. If Mace and Randyll meet their ends near Bronzegate, and with her brothers far from King's Landing, I could totally see Cersei having Margaery chucked out the window, and trying to spin it as grief for Loras and her father. 

"Only the Mother's mercy can save you, but you drove your Mother from this coty with your pride and lust and avarice. Now it is the Stanger who comes. On a dark horse with burning eyes he comes, a scourge of fire in his hand to cleanse this pit of sinnof demons and all who bow before them. Listen! Can you hear the sound of burning hooves? He comes! He comes!!" 

Rhaenyra Overthrown, Fire and Blood

The way this is written recalls the stallion that mounts the world. The prophet/preacher is definitely referring to a dragon, and no dragon burns King's Landing, but perhaps he has had a vision of Drogon, and Drogon's mother? 

1)

On 7/31/2019 at 8:32 AM, LynnS said:

This one stands out for me:

A Storm of Swords - Jaime IV

"The Boltons skin their enemies." Jaime remembered that much about the northman. Tyrion would have known all there was to know about the Lord of the Dreadfort, but Tyrion was a thousand leagues away, with Cersei. I cannot die while Cersei lives, he told himself. We will die together as we were born together.

There are more lines like that too:

He could not die. Cersei was waiting for him. (Jaime IV, ASOS)

We will leave this world together, as we once came into it. (Cersei X, AFFC)

"If he were dead, I would know it. We came into this world together, Uncle. He would not go without me." (Epilogue, ADWD)

2)

On 8/31/2019 at 11:14 AM, Rose of Red Lake said:

People probably noticed this already, but, the Stoneheart foreshadowing very early on:

"We learned that to our sorrow, Ser Donnel," Catelyn said. Sometimes she felt as though her heart had turned to stone; six brave men had died to bring her this far, and she could not even find it in her to weep for them. Even their names were fading. - Catelyn, AGOT VI

Also, there is one other person whose "heart had turned to stone":

You would weep as well if you had a son and lost him, Sam almost said. He could not blame Gilly for her grief. Instead, he blamed Jon Snow and wondered when Jon's heart had turned to stone. Once he asked Maester Aemon that very question, when Gilly was down at the canal fetching water for them. "When you raised him up to be the lord commander," the old man answered. (Samwell III, AFFC)

I take this as more supporting evidence that Jon will die and be resurrected.

3)

On 9/19/2019 at 11:22 AM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Initially both claimants to the Iron Throne flew the three-headed dragon of House Targaryen, red on black, but by the end of 129 AC, both Aegon and Rhaenyra had introduced variations to distinguish their own supporters from their foes. The king changed the color of the dragon on his banners from red to gold, to celebrate the brilliant golden scales of his dragon, Sunfyre...

The Red Dragon and the Gold, Fire and Blood

I got a copper says our wee Aegon, the noblest lad that ever lived, changes the color of the dragon on his banners from red to green. 

And/or Dany could introduce this variation to her sigil:

I ought to have a banner sewn, she thought as she led her tattered band up along Astapor's meandering river. She closed her eyes to imagine how it would look: all flowing black silk, and on it the red three-headed dragon of Targaryen, breathing golden flames. A banner such as Rhaegar might have borne. (Daenerys III, ASOS)

Interestingly, golden flames were on Prince Aerion's personal arms:

Aerion bore a three-headed dragon on his shield, but it was rendered in colors much more vivid than Valarr's; one head was orange, one yellow, one red, and the flames they breathed had the sheen of gold leaf. [...]

The great three-headed beast covered the prince's shield, red wings and gold fire. (The Hedge Knight)

7 hours ago, Shmedricko said:

1)

2)

3)

I noticed that comment about golden flames a while ago. Paired with Dany’s multiple connections to Maegor and Aerion, GRRM has been building something up for her since book 1 :blink:

14 hours ago, Shmedricko said:

1)

2)

3)

Shmedricko... Shmedricko... Now, that's a name I've not heard in a long time... a long time. 

6 hours ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

Why would he when he got to Westeros first? 

When he gets up on that green dragon, proving without a doubt [smiles enigmatically] once and for all that the noblest lad that ever lived is a true Targaryen, he might want to draw a lot of attention to that dagon of his. But I'm only wagering a copper. :)

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

When he gets up on that green dragon, proving without a doubt [smiles enigmatically] once and for all that the noblest lad that ever lived is a true Targaryen, he might want to draw a lot of attention to that dagon of his. But I'm only wagering a copper. :)

Bold move! You seem like a nice guy. I'd hate to see you lose all your coin ;) 

• 1 month later...

Arianne will die and second life a dragon, her fiery soul fuelling the dragon's flame, as how it works and happened with Drogo and Rhaego. As a consequence there's subtle hints in the language of Arianne towards the symbolism associated with Drogo's and Rhaego's rebirths.

Arianne thinks,

That is Nymeria's star, burning bright, and that milky band behind her, those are ten thousand ships. She burned as bright as any man, and so shall I. You will not rob me of my birthright!

Shining/burning stars as a symbol of a second life aligns with the khal afterlife story fed us during Drogo's death.

When a horselord dies, his horse is slain with him, so he might ride proud into the night lands. The bodies are burned beneath the open sky, and the khal rises on his fiery steed to take his place among the stars. The more fiercely the man burned in life, the brighter his star will shine in the darkness.

And his portion of Dany's wake the dragon dream.

She saw sunlight on the Dothraki sea, the living plain, rich with the smells of earth and death. Wind stirred the grasses, and they rippled like water. Drogo held her in strong arms, and his hand stroked her sex and opened her and woke that sweet wetness that was his alone, and the stars smiled down on them, starsin a daylight sky. "Home," she whispered as he entered her and filled her with his seed, but suddenly the stars were gone, and across the blue sky swept the great wings, and the world took flame.

Arianne given a flaming heart.

Arianne clung to that, feeding the flame within her heart.

Echoing Rhaego's fate as portrayed in the wake the dragon dream.

She could feel the heat inside her, a terrible burning in her womb. Her son was tall and proud, with Drogo's copper skin and her own silver-gold hair, violet eyes shaped like almonds. And he smiled for her and began to lift his hand toward hers, but when he opened his mouth the fire poured out. She saw his heart burning through his chest, and in an instant he was gone, consumed like a moth by a candle, turned to ash. She wept for her child, the promise of a sweet mouth on her breast, but her tears turned to steam as they touched her skin.

As is Mel's (R'hllor's) symbol for AA.

The passage with Arianne's flaming heart gives insight into the circumstances of her second life.

"Someone told," Hotah had said. The memory still made her angry. Arianne clung to that, feeding the flame within her heart. Anger was better than tears, better than grief, better than guilt. Someone told, someone she had trusted. Arys Oakheart had died because of that, slain by the traitor's whisper as much as by the captain's axe. The blood that had streamed down Myrcella's face, that was the betrayer's work as well. Someone told, someone she had loved. That was the cruelest cut of all.

Arianne is going to be betrayed by someone she loves, and be a very angry dragon.

• 4 weeks later...

Two things that struck me as a bit odd and had me wondering if there could be a bit of foreshadowing.

The world is gone. King's Landing, Riverrun, Pyke, and the Iron Islands, all the Seven Kingdoms, every place that he had ever known, every place he had ever read about or dreamed of, all gone. Only Winterfell remained. (A Ghost in Winterfell, ADwD 46)

When the horns start sounding outside Winterfell;

"Do they mean to try and blow our walls down?" japed a Flint when the warhorn sounded once again. "Mayhaps he thinks he's found the Horn of Joramun." (A Ghost in Winterfell, ADwD 46)

Otto Hightower = Tywin Lannister: Lord of one of the richest and most powerful Houses in the Realm. The Hand with ambitions above his station. Seeks marriage ties with the royal dynasty and eventually gets it by marrying his daughter to the king. But in the end, all those efforts and schemes go to dust.

Alicent Hightower = Cersei Lannister: Ambitious and vindictive queen. Conspires to see her own blood on the Iron Throne. Favorite color: green. Lives long enough to see all her plots fail and all her children die.

Viserys I Targaryen = Robert Baratheon: Not an exact match like the above but it still works. Robert has the drunken whoremongering of Aegon II (at least before he was incapacitated by injuries). But more than that, Robert has the unwillingness to rule and indifference to the scheming of the ambitious wife from Viserys. Also just like Viserys, Robert’s death (i.e. murder by the ambitious queen) causes a war of succession in his wake.

With these parallels from Fire & Blood established, the following quote from Fire & Blood comes as strong foreshadowing for not only Myrcella=YMBQ but also her tragic fate:

The price was high; a golden dragon for Queen Alicent, three dragons for Queen Helaena, who was younger and more beautiful.

The daughter of Cersei’s direct parallel from the Dance of Dragons is deliberately referred to as the “younger and more beautiful” queen. This is not random. And truth be told, Alicent was more beautiful than Helaena but GRRM still used this specific phrase to make the foreshadowing work. That in itself might be another clue as well.

Archived