Name a surprise character who could be king/queen at the end

PCK

I don't think anybody has suggested this one yet...

How about Trystane Martell? He has Targ blood and at the moment his only purpose seems to be to play cyvasse with Myrcella and admire her cuteness..which also means that unlike Arianne and Quentyn he's not getting into any trouble.

On 10/03/2017 at 3:25 PM, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Sansa thought she was destined to be queen, and desperately wanted it. She may well decide in the end that she wants no part of that life, especially if she gets a hefty dose of it as Aegon's bride. I can easily see her retiring to Highgarden or elsewhere and never setting foot in a court again. That's assuming she lives.

Gendry and Arya in the first two books? Yes they would be hopeless and unhappy. Grown up Gendry and Arya will be different. Arya has always cared more about practicalities and the smallfolk than any other member of her family (except maybe Ned), and Gendry knows first-hand what it's like to grow up as a nobody with no protection and no future until Varys found him and got him a job. Put together they could make an amazing team, and would balance each other very well. That's assuming they live.

I don't know if Sansa will necessarily want to be Queen as much as see it as her duty.

There's a difference between being a kind Lord and a good one. I'm sure Gendry and Arya would have the best intentions but that doesn't mean they'd be able to run a Castle much less one of the Seven Kingdoms. Neither has any experience, or interest, in politics and neither knows anybody in the Storm lands that they can truly trust. There'd be a ton of resentment that the Storm Lords have to follow an uneducated, illiterate baseborn, bastard and at least a few of them would seek undermine him at any opportunity. Look at the decisions that Bran was faced with when he was ruling Winterfell in Robb's place. Can you really imagine Gendry trying to decide something along the lines of "Who should marry Lady Hornwood?" without causing serious offense to one party or another.

3 hours ago, UnFit Finlay said:

I don't know if Sansa will necessarily want to be Queen as much as see it as her duty.

1. There's a difference between being a kind Lord and a good one. I'm sure Gendry and Arya would have the best intentions but that doesn't mean they'd be able to run a Castle much less one of the Seven Kingdoms.

2. Neither has any experience, or interest, in politics and neither knows anybody in the Storm lands that they can truly trust.

3. There'd be a ton of resentment that the Storm Lords have to follow an uneducated, illiterate baseborn, bastard and at least a few of them would seek undermine him at any opportunity.

4. Look at the decisions that Bran was faced with when he was ruling Winterfell in Robb's place. Can you really imagine Gendry trying to decide something along the lines of "Who should marry Lady Hornwood?" without causing serious offense to one party or another.

I've separated this into different points for ease of reference.

1. You don't have to know how to run a castle if your servants know how to do it. Arya spent her most formative years in a castle, that gives her an advantage over Gendry and really running the castle is largely the lady's responsibility. They'll have stewards and cooks, and an entire staff of people who need protection and a way to earn a living when most of Westeros has been destroyed by the Short Night, and will be only too happy to help. Same goes for the Stormlands at large. Anyone of any ability will be helping them.

2. I think the climate of the Stormlands, and all of Westeros really, will be vastly different after the war with the Others. Politics aren't going to matter again for a long time. Survival will be the key and they will be well able to show others how that is done and make hard choices that will be necessary...choices that most of the pampered nobility would not know how to make because they've never faced any real hardship.

3. At this point, things will be so bad they'll take any leader they can get, and Robert Baratheon's son will be accepted based on his blood and having proven himself in the War for the Dawn 2. The undermining type will have died off either because they tried to undermine the leadership during the Short Night, or because they were stupid enough to try and run things during the war and the Others got them. Most of the people will be sheep who need someone to herd them.

4. Bran was 7 and then 8 years old. And it was a different time. Who should marry who is not going to be something anybody gives much of a damn about when they've just come through a near-extinction experience and their main priority is survival, followed by rebuilding. The standard crap of the nobility is not going to matter anymore. It will come back, but not for at least a generation.

Admittedly, I expect the changes as a result of the war with the Others to be extreme. My arguments here will not be convincing to anyone who thinks that things will be as they were, or that changes will be few, after the Others are defeated. 

6 hours ago, UnFit Finlay said:

There's a difference between being a kind Lord and a good one. I'm sure Gendry and Arya would have the best intentions but that doesn't mean they'd be able to run a Castle much less one of the Seven Kingdoms. Neither has any experience, or interest, in politics and neither knows anybody in the Storm lands that they can truly trust. There'd be a ton of resentment that the Storm Lords have to follow an uneducated, illiterate baseborn, bastard and at least a few of them would seek undermine him at any opportunity. Look at the decisions that Bran was faced with when he was ruling Winterfell in Robb's place. Can you really imagine Gendry trying to decide something along the lines of "Who should marry Lady Hornwood?" without causing serious offense to one party or another.

One of the first things we learn about Arya is that her skills relating to household management are better than Sansa's - "It hurt that the one thing Arya could do better than her sister was ride a horse. Well, that and manage a household. Sansa had never had much of a head for figures. If she did marry Prince Joff, Arya hoped for his sake that he had a good steward." (AGOT, Arya I)

She always listened to the advice Ned had for the boys on how to rule, even though it was almost certainly never going to be of any use to her - "Her father used to say that a lord needed to eat with his men, if he hoped to keep them." (AGOT, Arya II)

When she speaks with Ned about what will become of Bran, one of things she picks out as a potential future for herself is a King's Councillor, so I don't think it is correct to say that she has never shown any interest in governance. Arya also now can tell whether or not someone is lying to her, which would be enormously useful if any of her lords were hostile.

No, she does not have any experience of managing anything larger than a small group at this point - but neither do Bran or Sansa and there is still two books to learn for all three of them. Gendry would be pretty useless alone (and I think it unlikely that he would ever become Lord of the Stormlands as an unacknowledged bastard) but with Arya or some other strong wife with a notable name, he would do alright.

Lady Whent and Littlefinger

Lady Whent has disappeared early in the story having never been reported death. Littlefinger will after the war/chaos with aegon and cersei loose Sansa to the returned mountain clans. Rallying the Vale he finds not sansa but Lady Whent ruling as queen/batgodess over the fortified clans. powerhouse vale/riverlands and mountainclans they have the resources and the higher grounds. By holding out the longest they win the Game of thrones. 

13 hours ago, Weirwood Ghost said:

Podrick?

I like the idea of that. If Sansa is being set up to be the eventual "winner" of the game of thrones then I'd like to think that for once and after the catastrophe of the battle with the Others, that if she were to become Queen she could choose her own husband. If it's an almost apocalyptic battle I can't see the current rules of nobility holding much sway on the survivors. And I quite like the idea of her and Podrick. He's be quite a sensible choice I think, he knows his heraldry, he's been around knights and powerful people his whole life, and he's exceptionally loyal. He's also living through and seeing the effects of war on the "smallfolk" I think he could be a v. good King. 

Archived