Get Out! SPOILER THREAD Jordan Peele Triumph

Lily Valley

Go see this movie right now.  

Go see it in the theaters.  

Go throw your money at this film to send Hollywood a message.  

For all my fellow nerds, there is no end to unpacking this brilliant horror film.  Go see it and avoid spoilers.  

Just read an article this morning about how the ending was supposed to be darker initially...

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a822662/jordan-peele-get-out-alternative-ending-much-darker/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

/Here there be Spoilers. And I concur with Lily. Great Horror flick. Best I've seen since Cabin in the Woods.

I am going to see it again this week after reviewing some of the noticeable influences in the film.  Much to my dismay, I can't find a copy of:

The 1975 film The Stepford Wives 

The 1956 Tale of the Bodysnatchers

So I am going to watch Rosemary's Baby

12 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

Go see this movie right now.  

Go see it in the theaters.  

Go throw your money at this film to send Hollywood a message.  

For all my fellow nerds, there is no end to unpacking this brilliant horror film.  Go see it and avoid spoilers.  

Lilly, can you make it spoilerific so we can talk about it? I want to discuss it so much!!

8 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Just read an article this morning about how the ending was supposed to be darker initially...

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a822662/jordan-peele-get-out-alternative-ending-much-darker/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

/Here there be Spoilers. And I concur with Lily. Great Horror flick. Best I've seen since Cabin in the Woods.

One of those alternatives was what I was expecting right up until the actual end of the movie so I'm glad they changed it honestly.

1 hour ago, Baitac said:

Lilly, can you make it spoilerific so we can talk about it? I want to discuss it so much!!

Done.  I am going later this week.  What to look for on a second view?  To start, much of the symbolism was completely lost on me until the end of the film the first time through.  Much more (I'm sure) was lost because of the ignorance of my lensing.   In addition, I normally always tune in actors and 

I have a couple of questions about the way female characters were handled that I am going to pay more attention to this time through.  There is some serious discussion travelling around the internet on the police detective's role and the way the ending violence was handled as far as "on screen" vs. "off screen" and the choice made for Chris not to strangle Rose that I am paying attention to.  

The scene leading up to the original hypnotism makes me want to watch the background.  The close ups of both Kaluuya and Keener were so intense I paid very little attention to the set.  

Got my horror channel set.  I cannot watch The Shining by myself or Misery, but I can do Rosemary's baby because Mia Farrow has always annoyed the crap out of me and I've been clapping for the Satanists since I was 10.

3 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Loved how the father was killed by a deer antler after his 30 second rant on how all deer need to die.

3 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Loved how the father was killed by a deer antler after his 30 second rant on how all deer need to die.

Dude.  He killed him with a Buck.  

15 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

I am going to see it again this week after reviewing some of the noticeable influences in the film.  Much to my dismay, I can't find a copy of:

Hide contents

The 1975 film The Stepford Wives 

The 1956 Tale of the Bodysnatchers

So I am going to watch Rosemary's Baby

Spoiler

Stepford Wives '75 is on You Tube... 

Little fuzzy, but watchable

13 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

I have a couple of questions about the way female characters were handled that I am going to pay more attention to this time through.  There is some serious discussion travelling around the internet on the police detective's role and the way the ending violence was handled as far as "on screen" vs. "off screen" and the choice made for Chris not to strangle Rose that I am paying attention to.  

Spoiler

You could argue that choking her out at that point would've been a mercy compared to the slow death of being gutshot. I thought it was more of a nod to the fact that he did love her, and once the danger had passed he wasn't willing to be a cold-blooded murderer.

After I watched it, I figured out that Walter ran because he had been a sprinter. I still don't know why he ran towards Chris that way. Also, after watching it again, I paid attention to when Georgina was introduced. Dean sad that his mother loved the kitchen. I thought it was mean of them to keep her in the kitchen until I heard this. The grandad must have liked feats of strength. 

I adore Catherine Keener. She looks great. That spoon swirling was making me feel sleepy.

Board crash ate my post.

THANK YOU MANHOLE!  Watched it, grainy and all.  I haven't seen that version since I was a tween.  Trying to figure out which version of Body Snatchers to watch.  This little walk down Horror Memory Lane has been enlightening.  I distinctly remember seeing several different versions of both that movie and Bride of Frankenstein as a young girl.  I used to LIKE horror films.  One of the reasons I love this movie so much is that it plays this genre like a violin.

Baita, cameras and photography feature heavily in Stepford Wives.  The heavy emphasis on the camera made me notice the photographs in the film.  Chris admires a photo of Jesse Owens.  Walter came in behind Owens in the Olympic trials, the whole family business stems from Walter's rage over this.  I saw running at Chris as a threat and a challenge.

Catherine Keener was terrifying.  She most reminded me of De Niro as the Devil in Angel Heart.

No worries. Glad to be of service. You'd be surprised at how many flicks you can find on You Tube.

I'd go with the '78 version of Body Snatchers. The 50's version is really dated. For some reason the 70's really excelled at that brand of paranoid/The Enemy is Amongst Us sort of Sci-Fi. Maybe it had to do with the Cold War? Anyway, Donald Sutherland is amazing in it.

Agree with your assessment of Walter running at Chris. His conversation with him where he's chopping wood is really aggressive as well. Ironically enough, he is probably the most overtly racist character in the film, with the possible exception of the younger brother.

Catherine Keener was fantastic. Plenty of really solid performances in this flick. I thought Betty Gabriel Georgina and Lil Rey Howard were both amazing as well. 

Thanks a lot.  I agree on Georgina.  That close-up of her face where she is laughing with tears nearly made me lose it.  It was so horrible.  Lil Rey did a stellar job providing the only comic relief.  It was so great for me to hear a man being the one with all the "crazy" conspiracy theories.  He was perfectly set up for this being a way too serious TSA agent.  I mean c'mon.  Nobody is ever happy to see TSA.  NOBODY.  That may have been the biggest miracle of the film.  

I am going to try to pull up Southerland's version of the Body snatchers tonight.  Plans with pal to go see it again tomorrow.  I will report!

23 minutes ago, Lily Valley said:

Lil Rey did a stellar job providing the only comic relief.  It was so great for me to hear a man being the one with all the "crazy" conspiracy theories.  He was perfectly set up for this being a way too serious TSA agent.  I mean c'mon.  Nobody is ever happy to see TSA.  NOBODY.  That may have been the biggest miracle of the film.  

Yeah, it was really remarkable that there was that much really effective humor in such a dark film. Howard cracked me up in every single scene he was in. I'm really interested in seeing what Peele does next. So much promise there.

There was a photograph in Chris' apartment of a little girl with a mask over her face. It reminded me of Rose and how fake she was. That younger brother was totally messed up. He was totally unhinged whereas Rose kept it cool. I had no idea what this movie was about. I'm still obsessed with it. I can't get over how all the guests were eyeing Chris to see how he fit their needs. Awful. 

Also, I loved the Theme Song, Sikilisa Kwa Wahenga. 

Here's a Vanity Fair article on five things you missed the first time around. 

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/03/get-out-five-things

Archived