Get Out! SPOILER THREAD Jordan Peele Triumph

Lily Valley

1 hour ago, Baitac said:

There was a photograph in Chris' apartment of a little girl with a mask over her face. It reminded me of Rose and how fake she was. That younger brother was totally messed up. He was totally unhinged whereas Rose kept it cool. I had no idea what this movie was about. I'm still obsessed with it. I can't get over how all the guests were eyeing Chris to see how he fit their needs. Awful. 

The theater I was in was pretty interactive during the film, but there was silence as people were leaving.  I know I needed to go home and unpack what I had just seen.  Horrific and very real.  

My skin crawled the most during the early parts of the film.  Rose's refusal to warn her parents that her boyfriend was black was incredibly inconsiderate. The "racism lite" of the parents trumpeting their support of Obama, apologizing for their servants and struggling to keep the conversation "relevant".  Rose's ill-advised interference with the police officer.  The escalation within the family to grilling Chris, patronizing him and finally the brother challenging him over dinner.  After looking into a VERY uncomfortable mirror of white liberal racism, it was almost a relief for me to continue the escalation to the more blatant party guests.  Sadly, nothing was said at the party that we haven't heard said before.  Rose's complicity by leaving him alone with that crowd was so disturbing.  Her failure to take him seriously when he wanted to leave was heartbreaking.

Classic horror style,  this started with a trickle that escalated to a hammer and then literally went into a nightmare.  It was like a hearing test where the volume starts below what I could detect.  I am white and I'll guess the "volume" had to be up to a 4 or 5 before I could hear.  On my rewatch I'm going to be looking for where that shit starts.  

There is much in this film that went completely past me.  The parts of this film that were directed at white liberal racism were damning.  Those scenes felt to me like reading a letter from a friend whom I had betrayed.  This one really hurt to watch.  I told my family to go see it.  It's magnificent.

4 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Is this in reference to something? Because if it is, to my everlasting shame, I don't get it.

Nothing to be ashamed of.  You have better peers than I do.  I'm queer and southern, so unfortunately I am familiar.

Young black men were advertised as "bucks" on the auction block in US slave trade.   Specifically in fetish or queer circles, they are still referred to that way.  It is a sexualized term, loaded with the kind of racism that reduces black men to an exotic body.  

One of the most horrible images in the film to me was Chris immobile on that chair across from that mounted head.  Seeing him rip that thing down to save his own life was incredible.  Peele made a few references to queer black men's struggles in the film (the Jeffrey Dahmer scene with Lil Rey), I wondered if this was another one.  Either way, it was a powerful image.  I had also raised an eyebrow about the father's tirade on deer until I saw that head mounted on the wall.  Then I wanted to weep.

What's remarkable is that Peele managed to convey the significance to viewers who were NOT familiar with the word / image play.  There was not a single wasted scene in this film.  

Baita, I totally missed the masked girl in the early scene.  I'm going to be looking HARD at all of the pictures next time through.  

Oh, did anyone else think of Heinlein's "I Shall Fear No Evil" / "Puppetmasters"?  The whole body switching thing gave me the willies in the worst way.  Jordan Peele is a total nerd, so I am curious if Heinlein was an influence.  

On 3/9/2017 at 0:01 AM, Lily Valley said:

The theater I was in was pretty interactive during the film, but there was silence as people were leaving.  I know I needed to go home and unpack what I had just seen.  Horrific and very real.  

My skin crawled the most during the early parts of the film.  Rose's refusal to warn her parents that her boyfriend was black was incredibly inconsiderate. The "racism lite" of the parents trumpeting their support of Obama, apologizing for their servants and struggling to keep the conversation "relevant".  Rose's ill-advised interference with the police officer.  The escalation within the family to grilling Chris, patronizing him and finally the brother challenging him over dinner.  After looking into a VERY uncomfortable mirror of white liberal racism, it was almost a relief for me to continue the escalation to the more blatant party guests.  Sadly, nothing was said at the party that we haven't heard said before.  Rose's complicity by leaving him alone with that crowd was so disturbing.  Her failure to take him seriously when he wanted to leave was heartbreaking.

Classic horror style,  this started with a trickle that escalated to a hammer and then literally went into a nightmare.  It was like a hearing test where the volume starts below what I could detect.  I am white and I'll guess the "volume" had to be up to a 4 or 5 before I could hear.  On my rewatch I'm going to be looking for where that shit starts.  

There is much in this film that went completely past me.  The parts of this film that were directed at white liberal racism were damning.  Those scenes felt to me like reading a letter from a friend whom I had betrayed.  This one really hurt to watch.  I told my family to go see it.  It's magnificent.

Excellent and sadly spot on analysis. At the party they were all "praising" as well as appraising. A horrible throwback to slave sales. In the link I posted, Jordan said that Chris' use of cotton was very much intentional. So much sadness and yet it was a damn good thriller. This is a very very unique film.

Lilly, it could also be that the buck took revenge on the father through Chris. I found it satisfying. This is what you think about us? This what I think about you. 

A very interesting thing to me was the way the brother cried after being hit on the head and after the second fight. It was very peculiar and not so rehearsed/fake.

I just remembered that Rose told Chris that he was one of her favorites. To me this raises the question of how many other friends she brought in who may have died in the process. Seems like she wouldn't have said that when there were only three other people involved. 

• 2 weeks later...

Saw it today.

it was decent, quite entertaining and I was cheering by the end. It wasn't even close to being as good as the reviews mentioned however and that was a disappointment for me. 

I went in expecting a clever deconstruction of racial tensions in America using the Horror genre. It tried to do a little of that and there were some interesting elements such as the patronising liberal attitudes to race, the nods towards idolising black culture and inadvertent racism that occurs when people are trying really hard not to be.

That was there, but I expected something a lot cleverer, a lot more intelligent. I also hoped it would be funny, considering who made it. But I didn't laugh once. It worked ok as a middle of the road horror, not really scary , not really funny, not really gripping, playing off a load of obvious tropes but not really getting the tone right. 

Its hard to know how to take the whole 'white people as the bad guy' construct either. On one level it could be an interesting way of subverting the usual use of black people in movies ( although I don't think that any movie would get away with casting black people as villains these days, wouldn't have done for many years now).

But at the same time, is it helpful to create a movie that depicts two races as enemies? Is that in any way helpful to racial harmony? It's questionable. I felt uncomfortable by it , and maybe that was the point , but I'm unsure that it's actually a good thing in the way the movie might think it is, because it's being held up as a liberal left wing piece, not sure it should be.

9 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I also hoped it would be funny, considering who made it. But I didn't laugh once. It worked ok as a middle of the road horror, not really scary , not really funny, not really gripping, playing off a load of obvious tropes but not really getting the tone right. 

Oh come on! The best friend (TSA agent) was hilarious. He stole every scene he was in. The conversation he had with the girlfriend was scary and laugh out loud funny at the same time. I loved the humor in this film.

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Oh come on! The best friend (TSA agent) was hilarious. He stole every scene he was in. The conversation he had with the girlfriend was scary and laugh out loud funny at the same time. I loved the humor in this film.

I hated that character. Really wasn't my sense of humour at all.

i like key and peele, they are funny. This wasn't though. They are witty and don't just resort to lowest common denominator humour. That character was mostly about that. 

Just now, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I hated that character. Really wasn't my sense of humour at all.

i like key and peele, they are funny. This wasn't though. They are witty and don't just resort to lowest common denominator humour. That character was mostly about that. 

I thought he was the perfect comic relief.

I love Key and Peele as well, but they will resort to lowest common denominator humor at times, and often to great effect. The East/West Collegiate Bowl pieces are a great example of this. 

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I thought he was the perfect comic relief.

I love Key and Peele as well, but they will resort to lowest common denominator humor at times, and often to great effect. The East/West Collegiate Bowl pieces are a great example of this. 

His character annoyed the hell out of me. It was like the standard 'token funny black guy' they have in movies who just says random thing in a zany way and we're expected to find it funny. The sort of thing you'd see in Transformers and think it was really misjudged.

his humour didn't really work in the movie at all. He didn't even seem to be part of the same film. 

2 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

His character annoyed the hell out of me. It was like the standard 'token funny black guy' they have in movies who just says random thing in a zany way and we're expected to find it funny. The sort of thing you'd see in Transformers and think it was really misjudged.

his humour didn't really work in the movie at all. He didn't even seem to be part of the same film. 

Couldn't disagree more. He was a highlight for me. 

Just now, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Matter of taste I think. Seemed very popular in the theatre I was in, but didn't work for me. The humour was too obvious for my liking. The sort of thing Martin Lawrence or Adam sander might come out with

Not a big Martin Lawrence fan, but Sandler was a master of the craft before he started making the same movie every year. Sophmoric, yes, but a master at that sort of comedy.  

6 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Not a big Martin Lawrence fan, but Sandler was a master of the craft before he started making the same movie every year. Sophmoric, yes, but a master at that sort of comedy.  

Yep I don't like either and would struggle to even raise a smile at early Sandler stuff.  Just not my thing 

One of my friends, who is from Zimbabwe watched this last night. Her reaction was that she liked it but was shocked by the audience reaction, which was basically a lot of people cheering about 'the white guy' getting killed, that didn't seem to just be about the characters on sceen. I have to say I had the same experience in my theatre.

I know the intentions of this movie are good, and there is some good satire going on. But I do worry that its getting the wrong reactions from the people who watch it, and is giving off a very different message to the one that was intended.

4 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

One of my friends, who is from Zimbabwe watched this last night. Her reaction was that she liked it but was shocked by the audience reaction, which was basically a lot of people cheering about 'the white guy' getting killed, that didn't seem to just be about the characters on sceen. I have to say I had the same experience in my theatre.

I know the intentions of this movie are good, and there is some good satire going on. But I do worry that its getting the wrong reactions from the people who watch it, and is giving off a very different message to the one that was intended.

But all the "white guys" who were killed were horrific. They could have been of any ethnicity and their deaths would've been rightfully applauded. Not sure where you're going with this. How should one react to the violent death of a horrific villain who's attempting to cast the protagonist into a terrifying form of mental/emotional/physical slavery? 

27 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

But all the "white guys" who were killed were horrific. They could have been of any ethnicity and their deaths would've been rightfully applauded. Not sure where you're going with this. How should one react to the violent death of a horrific villain who's attempting to cast the protagonist into a terrifying form of mental/emotional/physical slavery? 

What I'm getting at is that during a time of high racial tensions, its a little uncomfortable watching a movie where the white guys are the villains trying to kill black people.

Of course that is not the actual message of the movie, which is saying something else entirely. But I don't think the intended message is the one that is being delivered. 

My friend certainly didn't feel it was very helpful when it comes to race relations and I'm inclined to agree with her. 

Archived