College Basketball: Tournament Time

S John

Decided to start a new thread since the old one was at 20 pages and had gone off the first page.  Was looking at the top 6 seeds in Lunardi's bracket today:

Midwest:

1. Kansas
2. Louisville
3. UCLA
4. Purdue
5. Virginia
6. St. Mary's

East:

1. Villanova
2. Baylor
3. Florida State
4. Florida
5. Notre Dame
6. Wisconsin

West:

1. Gonzaga
2. Oregon
3. Butler
4. Duke
5. SMU
6. ISU

South:

1. North Carolina
2. Kentucky
3. Arizona
4. West Virginia
5. Cincinnati
6. Minnesota

Is there a rule that WVU always has to be in Kentucky's region?   If WVU is indeed a 4, I wonder if we could trade regions with Duke.  Of course, while Lunardi is decent at predicting the field and the seeding he doesn't do as well guessing the actual match-ups.  In any case, hopefully the Mountaineers can win a couple in the Big 12 tournament and get to the 3 line.  

5 minutes ago, S John said:

Decided to start a new thread since the old one was at 20 pages and had gone off the first page.  Was looking at the top 6 seeds in Lunardi's bracket today:

Midwest:

1. Kansas
2. Louisville
3. UCLA
4. Purdue
5. Virginia
6. St. Mary's

East:

1. Villanova
2. Baylor
3. Florida State
4. Florida
5. Notre Dame
6. Wisconsin

West:

1. Gonzaga
2. Oregon
3. Butler
4. Duke
5. SMU
6. ISU

South:

1. North Carolina
2. Kentucky
3. Arizona
4. West Virginia
5. Cincinnati
6. Minnesota

Is there a rule that WVU always has to be in Kentucky's region?   If WVU is indeed a 4, I wonder if we could trade regions with Duke.  Of course, while Lunardi is decent at predicting the field and the seeding he doesn't do as well guessing the actual match-ups.  In any case, hopefully the Mountaineers can win a couple in the Big 12 tournament and get to the 3 line.  

Funny, earlier today I was going to post about a discussion on Kentucky Sports Radio today where they were going through probable seeding.  He came up with the UNC and Kentucky region as well, but he figured that WVU would get the three there and we'd meet in the Sweet 16.

Other humorous anecdote, I got in a brief discussion last week with a poster on another message board about whether or not we still "owe" West Virginia for 2010.  My argument was that we've beaten them twice (once in embarrassing fashion) since then... his argument was that it cost us a national title.  I absolutely do agree with that, but I think the debt has been paid.

Also, they talked about a rule I hadn't heard of where they now will not put the top three from a conference into the same region.  So I had been thinking that you could have UNC and UofL in a region together because they wouldn't meet until the E8; but apparently they try to protect even that for top seeds now.

Lastly, UofL got an absolute killer slot in the ACC tourney.  Their first game is against Duke and if they win that, they play UNC.  :lol: 

24 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Funny, earlier today I was going to post about a discussion on Kentucky Sports Radio today where they were going through probable seeding.  He came up with the UNC and Kentucky region as well, but he figured that WVU would get the three there and we'd meet in the Sweet 16.

Other humorous anecdote, I got in a brief discussion last week with a poster on another message board about whether or not we still "owe" West Virginia for 2010.  My argument was that we've beaten them twice (once in embarrassing fashion) since then... his argument was that it cost us a national title.  I absolutely do agree with that, but I think the debt has been paid.

Um, yea.  Debt paid, clean slate!  

In all honesty I don't care too much who we draw in the NCAA because everyone will be fighting for their lives and pretty much every team is dangerous.  WVU has proven that they can beat some of the best in the country, but they also lost to several teams who won't make the field.  So whatever, lets just play and see what happens.  

Worst match-up for WVU are teams that can match us in rebounding, have elite guards, and don't mind playing fast.  Other than that, since WVU's style is to take whatever your style is, and ruin it, I'd say we have at least a puncher's chance against anyone in the field.  :lol:

Part of me wants to run into Duke just because I want to see if WVU could frustrate Grayson Allen and bait him to the penultimate lash-out on the national stage.  I think the combo of Daxter Miles, Tarik Phillip, and Jevon Carter might be the best pests for the job in the whole NCAA.   But probably we'll end up on the same seed line in a different region, so we're unlikely to see them.  And they shoot so well, they'd be a tough out even if we succeeded in really pissing Allen off.  

Also, regarding that embarrassing loss a couple of years ago.  Even in hindsight I still love what Daxter Miles Jr. said before the game against Kentucky.  "Tomorrow they're gonna be 36-1."  :lol:  

I mean, come on, you gotta love the spirit of the (then) freshman.  We got killed and he had to eat a big slice of humble pie, but I'm honestly glad his attitude was that we were going out there to win the game instead of awed deference to the team that had eaten everyone's lunch up to that point.  I guess it could be argued that UK didn't need the extra motivation to thump WVU, but whatever, they were trying to win a national title, they were motivated either way.  

6 minutes ago, S John said:

Also, regarding that embarrassing loss a couple of years ago.  Even in hindsight I still love what Daxter Miles Jr. said before the game against Kentucky.  "Tomorrow they're gonna be 36-1."  :lol:  

I mean, come on, you gotta love the spirit of the (then) freshman.  We got killed and he had to eat a big slice of humble pie, but I'm honestly glad his attitude was that we were going out there to win the game instead of awed deference to the team that had eaten everyone's lunch up to that point.  I guess it could be argued that UK didn't need the extra motivation to thump WVU, but whatever, they were trying to win a national title, they were motivated either way.  

Oh for sure.  And we all need a "Don't poke the bear" lesson every once in a while.

Just wish someone from Wisconsin had poked them a little harder.  :crying: 

55 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Oh for sure.  And we all need a "Don't poke the bear" lesson every once in a while.

Just wish someone from Wisconsin had poked them a little harder.  :crying: 

Who the hell is the Bear? Lol. WVU took down The Holy Basketball team of Kentucky. We ain't scared @Rhom! We had a off night is all, it happens.

On a more serious note, it seems as if the committee likes a WVU vs UK match up for some reason. I'm with @S John, I'd loventure to play Duke and I wholeheartedly believe Allen would lose his shit. I'd bet Huggs would make a point to have him lose his shit. 

I would really, really love to win the BIGXII tournament. And, I really like our chances. As long as we hit our free throws and stay composed I think we can pull it off. Last couple of years it was a forgone conclusion Kansas was gonna win, but when I watch us play them, our guys look like they think they are better than Kansas. There is no more awe, we know we belong.

32 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Last couple of years it was a forgone conclusion Kansas was gonna win, but when I watch us play them, our guys look like they think they are better than Kansas. There is no more awe, we know we belong.

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Be scrurred. We gonna fuck your shit up.

26 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Be scrurred. We gonna fuck your shit up.

We done fucked your shit up once, then gave the other one away while we fucked your shit up for 33 mins. We're gonna whoop that ass. As long as we can find a way to take out Graham.

ETA: This is all in fun, I hope you know that! :)

1 hour ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

We done fucked your shit up once, then gave the other one away while we fucked your shit up for 33 mins. We're gonna whoop that ass. As long as we can find a way to take out Graham.

ETA: This is all in fun, I hope you know that! :)

:D of course, though I do sniff a sig bet somewhere down the road. 

Since the trash talking is rolling out a little bit, havent we had some Cyclones fans around here in the past?  I have to get this off my chest.  

I kind of wish ISU would've gotten the third seed in the Big 12 tournament to increase our chances of meeting again.  I read thier basketball forum after WVU swept them and salty doesn't even begin to describe it.  You'd think WVU was throwing punches out there the way they complained about the refs and blamed them totally for both losses against WVU.  Many of them claimed that the officials were literally physically afraid of Bob Huggins and not calling fouls because of it.  What a bunch of bullshit.  And of course all the typical hillbilly stereotypes that get thrown around when a fan base is pissed at WVU for some reason were used liberally.

Made me want to play them again because I think we'd make it 3-0.  They got out hustled and out-muscled, end of story.  

No ref interference, or lacktherof, will make up for the fact that they cannot out-rebound WVU so we are going to get to take more shots than them.  Nor can refs make up for the fact that they lack the size to drive on WVU consistently without having half thier takes flung out of bounds by our rim protectors.  

That leaves them one option - live or die by the three - hence ISU would have to be on absolute fire for the entire 40 minutes to beat WVU, which means that they get less fouls called in thier favor because they aren't effective at driving into the paint where most contact happens.  

And finally, perhaps the most decisive advantage WVU has over ISU is depth.  Thier starters are good, but WVU comes in waves and thier best players are gonna be gassed at the end every time.  That's going to make them less accurate and sloppy and get ground down.

In all honesty they are the Big 12 team I fear the least.  I think they are a good basketball team, but West Virginia is thier nightmare match up and I was annoyed that very few of thier fans could accept that they were simply beaten twice by WVU without it being some kind of conspiracy against them.

As for KU, hope we see them in the final and then they can go rock chalk themselves. :)

I'm personally fine with not having to play WVU.  Seems like they've turned into our Utah of the 90's, whom we seemed to meet every year in the tourney (except I don't think we ever lost any of our games against them Utah).  

I'd be fine with ending up in Wisconsin's bracket this year.  

2 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

@Ded As Ned, we beat the Wall and Cousins team in the Sweet 16....you got Pittsnoggled!!!!

ETA: eh, you was meaning UTAH, right? Still felt good to being it up though. :P

Yeah I meant we had never lost to those Utah teams... I definitely remember being Pittsnoggled :crying:

3 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

Yeah I meant we had never lost to those Utah teams... I definitely remember being Pittsnoggled :crying:

Yea, I remember Press Virginia being whatever you wanna call it a few years ago. That was worse than getting Pittsnoggled. I'd say we owe you one now. That loss was at least worth two on the embarrassment scale.

4 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Yea, I remember Press Virginia being whatever you wanna call it a few years ago. That was worse than getting Pittsnoggled. I'd say we owe you one now. That loss was at least worth two on the embarrassment scale.

Haha you're illustrating my point of why I don't want to play WVU this year.  That was only 2 years ago, and there's probably a more than a few players on your team who remember it vividly.  

9 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

Haha you're illustrating my point of why I don't want to play WVU this year.  That was only 2 years ago, and there's probably a more than a few players on your team who remember it vividly.  

Daxter Miles, for one hahaha.

3 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

@Ded As Ned, we beat the Wall and Cousins team in the Sweet 16....you got Pittsnoggled!!!!

ETA: eh, you was meaning UTAH, right? Still felt good to being it up though. :P

Elite 8.

This is why you WVU fans can't be allowed to be proper college basketball fans.  Stick to football!  You have to remember the exact detail and time and place of every major loss and win... but mainly losses.  :crying: 

I can still show you the tiny scar on my knuckles that I got from scraping them across the popcorn ceiling in my living room when I jumped in excitement when Sean Woods put Kentucky up on Duke with 2.1 seconds to play...

Archived