College Basketball: Tournament Time

S John

13 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

????  I have no memory of this.  Maybe you're referring to the Year That Never Happened.

(besides, that was the NIT, so it doesn't count) :P 

And that why it's so much worse.  28 straight NCAA appearances!  New record set this season!  KU fans never deny any of our seasons have happened.  I'm going to go watch Highlander 2.

I don't understand why we get shit for this, we haven't lost in the first round for more than a decade.  Duke lost in the first round in '12 and '14, but they don't get this.  Is it the alliteration?  

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

If the number of teams from the state of Florida in your Final Four is greater than zero... then you have too many.

FGCU gonna go Dunk City all up on this bitch!  They actually have more dunks this season than they did the year they went to the sweet 16.

15 hours ago, Rhom said:

If the number of teams from the state of Florida in your Final Four is greater than zero... then you have too many.

Pretty much yeah...

I kinda did go blue bloods in the final 4 - KU, UK, Duke and AZ.  Coin flip for UK/KU and of course Duke taking it all...

I went Nova and UK in the final...

As to my other Final Four teams, I have West Virginia and...

Is REG around?  No?  So its just us?  Okay...

Purdue.

No one tell REG though.

15 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I never thought I would be mentioned in this thread LMAO 

I'm confused ! What is a bracket! I don't know anything about basketball! 

That's kind of the point. March Madness is one of the few sporting events here in the U.S. that people who don't care about sports participate in. The bracket is a 64 team single elimination tournament, and it only takes a few minutes to fill out. It'll be funny to see how many people you beat, especially if you can beat some of the college basketball junkies. 

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

That's kind of the point. March Madness is one of the few sporting events here in the U.S. that people who don't care about sports participate in. The bracket is a 64 team single elimination tournament, and it only takes a few minutes to fill out. It'll be funny to see how many people you beat, especially if you can beat some of the college basketball junkies. 

I guarantee she will beat more than one of us.

My ex-wife picked an entire bracket based off which mascot could beat the other and won the pool we were in. 

"Stanford... what are they?"

"The Cardinal."

"So a bird?"

"No... its a tree actually..."

"That makes no sense..."

:lol: 

This was the chalkiest bracket I've ever filled out, but I just didn't feel confident with any of the sleepers. Ended up with what will be by far the most common final four of KU, AZ, Duke, UK. KU beating Zona in the championship.

1 hour ago, sperry said:

This was the chalkiest bracket I've ever filled out, but I just didn't feel confident with any of the sleepers. Ended up with what will be by far the most common final four of KU, AZ, Duke, UK. KU beating Zona in the championship.

Mine is similar with taking the higher seeds most of the way through. My one "upset" is Gonzaga, I actually picked them to win it all just for the hell of it.

This sums up my knowledge of college basketball in 2017...some guys dad wants a billion dollars from Nike for his kids, the balls on that guy huh!.....Connecticut is still the most dominant team around(womens)....a player from Duke is seen as a jerk.....and Michigan won the B1G Ten for the first time in forever, and played a game in their warm ups after their plane skidded of the runway.

11 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

And that why it's so much worse.  28 straight NCAA appearances!  New record set this season!  KU fans never deny any of our seasons have happened.  I'm going to go watch Highlander 2.

I don't understand why we get shit for this, we haven't lost in the first round for more than a decade.  Duke lost in the first round in '12 and '14, but they don't get this.  Is it the alliteration?  

FGCU gonna go Dunk City all up on this bitch!  They actually have more dunks this season than they did the year they went to the sweet 16.

If they hadn't won in '15 I think you would hear a lot more about it - especially with the up and down play they have had this year.  That and that it is in the NCAA bylaws that no one can talk negatively about Duke.

I didn't spend a lot of time doing my picks this year, maybe 10 minutes each.  I just have no idea.  Watched a lot of Big 12 basketball but only a smattering of games from other conferences.  But I did 3 brackets this year, the westeros one and then 2 for a little $$, and I have different Final 4's in all of them.  I've got:

Duke, Purdue, Arizona, Butler

Villanova, Louisville, WVU, UCLA

and for Westeros I went pretty chalk-y

Duke, Arizona, Kansas, Kentucky

19 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Perfect! You're sure to beat us all. :D   

My 7 year old is in, so @Theda Baratheon has a challenger!  I do have to say, other than refusing to pick Duke to win a single game (love that kid!), he pretty much went chalk through to the final 4, with UK winning it all (a requirement in this household, if you only have 1 bracket).  

On 3/8/2017 at 8:10 PM, Ded As Ned said:

2017 Westeros Bracket Challenge is up!  Get 'em in before noonish tomorrow EST!

https://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/t1/group/32543/invitation?key=4bbf4f07be8cad74&soc_trk=lnk

Password: westeros

I'll post this in the Forum Games in coming days as well as bumping here. 

Bumping one last time... the Madness starts tomorrow! 

12 hours ago, Rhom said:

I went Nova and UK in the final...

As to my other Final Four teams, I have West Virginia and...

Is REG around?  No?  So its just us?  Okay...

Purdue.

No one tell REG though.

No worries.  I've got you going down to UCLA :) 

Lorenzo Romar is finally fired.  Michael Porter Jr could be back on the market... but sounds like new Mizzou coach Cuonzo Martin may be hiring Porter Sr.

5 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Lorenzo Romar is finally fired.  Michael Porter Jr could be back on the market... but sounds like new Mizzou coach Cuonzo Martin may be hiring Porter Sr.

Washington and then Mizzou. This kid is dead set on not sniffing the tournament. I just don't get why you'd waste your 1 year in college if you were a 1 and done kid. Just go train for the draft in Florida or something if you aren't interested in competing in college.

I just don't understand why Martin would leave Cal for Mizzou.  Baffling.  Okay, I just looked it up, and Mizzou is going to Cuonzo Martin $3.5 Million per year.  Why the fuck would anybody pay him that much money.  Baffling.

USC finally figured out that they were in a game.

ETA: Martin has winning percentages of:

• .589 at Missouri St (0 NCAA tournament appearances)
  • .606 at Tennessee (1 tournament)
  • .614 at Cal (1 tournament)

And this fool will now be the sixth highest paid coach in college basketball?  :shocked:  Missouri... time to put down the meth pipe.

36 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I just don't understand why Martin would leave Cal for Mizzou.  Baffling.  Okay, I just looked it up, and Mizzou is going to Cuonzo Martin $3.5 Million per year.  Why the fuck would anybody pay him that much money.  Baffling.

USC finally figured out that they were in a game.

ETA: Martin has winning percentages of:

• .589 at Missouri St (0 NCAA tournament appearances)
  • .606 at Tennessee (1 tournament)
  • .614 at Cal (1 tournament)

And this fool will now be the sixth highest paid coach in college basketball?  :shocked:  Missouri... time to put down the meth pipe.

Mizzou basketball is one of those all time delusions of grandeur programs, up there with Arkansas and Texas A&M football.

3 minutes ago, sperry said:

Mizzou basketball is one of those all time delusions of grandeur programs, up there with Arkansas and Texas A&M football.

Oh... I was getting ready to respond about Arkansas basketball being great in the early 90's then realized you meant football.

Carry on.  I agree.

Archived