Whisk(e)y

S John

28 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I've been on the Japanese kick lately. Ichiro is my favorite so far. It's so complex and flavorful as the distiller buys barrels from all over the world of whiskies he enjoys and then makes his whisky in them. I understand it's not for everyone but it really works for me. The other one I've been enjoying lately is Kavalan (or King Car) which is a Taiwanese whisky. Also complex and unique. 

Nikka and Hibiki do make good whiskies. I have a bottle of Nikka Coffey Grain which is pretty good (more scotch like) and I've tried several others. Different from scotch/bourbon but not worse. Definitely worth a sip if you haven't tried it.

Fiance brought me back a bottle of Japanese whiskey.  If I had closed my eyes there was no way I was going to be able to tell the difference between it and a lower middle of the road scotch.  I wasn't impressed and don't have a way to try any others :(

4 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Fiance brought me back a bottle of Japanese whiskey.  If I had closed my eyes there was no way I was going to be able to tell the difference between it and a lower middle of the road scotch.  I wasn't impressed and don't have a way to try any others :(

Fair enough. I really like their blended whiskies but as I said, it's not for everyone.

Disagree with the initial premise, they have very different uses, IMO. I do like bourbon quite a bit for sipping (and Scotch as well), but I have never had a good Scotch cocktail (though I drink Rusty Nails when I'm feeling masochistic). As with Week, my go-to cocktail is the Boulevardier, and it's fantastic. 

Two notes on bourbon/American whiskies with weird finishes - have y'all tried either Breckenridge bourbon (out of Breckinridge, Colorado) or King's County Peated Bourbon (out of I-don't-know-where New York)?  Breckinridge I find very interesting, as the initial hit tastes like a bourbon, but the finish has a weird... I dunno, minerality, that I associate much more with Scotches.

The peated bourbon is something my boss has been talking up, but I've never seen it before and would be interested in a review from someone who's tried it.

Re: old-fashioneds, I rarely order them anymore; like Swordfish, I find the range crazy-wide. There are some very good ones and some really awful ones. You can get a shitty Manhattan, but it's not as far from an average Manhattan as a shitty OF is from an average one.

12 hours ago, BLU-RAY said:

King's County Peated Bourbon (out of I-don't-know-where New York)

They're from Kings County, better known as Brooklyn.

And I made Boulevardiers last night because of this thread.

6 hours ago, Mr. X said:

They're from Kings County, better known as Brooklyn.

And I made Boulevardiers last night because of this thread.

:cheers::cheers: (except the libations are colored red, with no foam head, and an orange twist)

5 hours ago, BLU-RAY said:

FML.

True, all three of those subway lines will take you to Brooklyn, but only the F gets you close to the distillery, which is in the Navy Yard. 

:P

So last night I found myself in the local Liquor Barn and decided to just check out the Scotch section. 

Yeah... fuck that shit. Those prices are banana pants crazy. Instead, I picked up a bottle of Heaven Hill White Label BiB for $11. I completely forgot about mentioning it in my previous post about good bourbons at great price points. That one is probably the best value out there. It's "bottled in bond" which means it's the product of one distilling season by one distiller and is bottled at 100 proof. It's also aged for six years, which makes it pretty damn smooth, especially for the price.

I also noticed that the price of Four Roses yellow label has creeped up to $20 a bottle. That makes it not worth it anymore. I think the Heaven Hill white label is pretty comparable for almost half the price.

On 3/7/2017 at 4:25 PM, Swordfish said:

Additionally, you can get into a very nice bourbon at a significantly lower price point than you can for a comparably nice scotch.

The differences are great -- to be a bourbon the mash has to be at least 51% corn.  Scotch isn't made from corn at all -- barley, I think.

So one drinks them differently. As pointed out above, around here for people like me (who hardly ever drinks hard liquor at all) scotch would be for a night like this, with temps falling down to 17° and snow and sleet.-- except I'm heading for the Caribbean at 6 AM and there it will be all rum or all beer all the time.  It's the only place I drink rum, generally speaking -- the Caribbean.  It fits well with that region.  :cheers:

38 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The differences are great -- to be a bourbon the mash has to be at least 51% corn.  Scotch isn't made from corn at all -- barley, I think.

So one drinks them differently. As pointed out above, around here for people like me (who hardly ever drinks hard liquor at all) scotch would be for a night like this, with temps falling down to 17° and snow and sleet.-- except I'm heading for the Caribbean at 6 AM and there it will be all rum or all beer all the time.  It's the only place I drink rum, generally speaking -- the Caribbean.  It fits well with that region.  :cheers:

Totally.  I'm not anti Scotch.  i quite enjoy a good scotch.  Time and place for everything.

Although I can't afford them too often, I'm usually a Scotch person. However, my neighbor moved out lately and gifted me some Jim Beam liqueurs (Apple and Honey) - not really impressed by either (I mixed the Apple one with Tonic Water after the first attempt at the pure stuff that tasted like pure fake apple flavor. The Tonic version was better, but still tasted fake to me; The honey version gets better grades, but I guess I'm not gonne drink it without a bottle of coke at hand). I am kinda disappointed in my former neighbor's taste in spirits...

Picked up a bottle of Laphroaig 10 for £25 the other day which I'm pretty happy about. Laphroaig is definitely my go-to for good quality, affordable whisky at the moment.

Haven't had much exposure to bourbon, though I've enjoyed most of what I've tried. Makers Mark is probably my favourite out of what I've actually had a chance to drink.

I think I've had Rye a few times as well? Can't really remember to be honest. I think it was Crown Royal.

5 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

My drinks cabinet currently contains Johnnie Walker Blue

That's a lovely drop. A whisky like that doesn't last long enough in my household anymore. We have 1/3 of a bottle of Glenfiddich 15 in the house and half a bottle of Bowmores and I doubt they will be around in a week.

Monkey Shoulder is one blended I tried recently and was very impressed at that price.

I see the true beauty of all the colours of the whisk(e)y rainbow.  While I favour the Islay scotches, I thought some of the distilleries in the Nashville area were making some really good stuff (Corsair, Nelson's Green Brier).  I imagine Kentucky and the rest of Tennessee would have plenty of others making top distillations.  

Got a bottle of 12yo Tullamore Dew Special Reserve over the weekend and also inherited a bottle of Bulliet Rye.  Both are delicious in their own wonderful ways.  I also learned that chugging a bottle of Pedialyte before bed after drinking too much whiskey will actually prevent a hangover.

Archived