Whisk(e)y

S John

17 hours ago, aceluby said:

Been on an Old Fashioned kick lately.  Been making it with pure maple syrup and a dash of bitters over a single ice cube.  Stir that together then add 2-3 ounces of whiskey (I've been using Bulliet Bourbon) and stir that together.  While that sits, take an orange peel and get it all up inside a low ball, just mashing those those orange notes around the top of the glass.  Pour the mix over some ice, or one of them fancy ice balls or big cubes, and twist the orange peel to squeeze the last of the orange out of the peel and drop it in.  Get a great orange nose, a spicy/sweet front, and that nice oaky finish.  Seems to go down just as well on hot days as cold.  Just heavenly.

The bar I work at is having we bartenders each create a cocktail using a 5L barrel. I went with a bottled-in-bond applejack with quality maple syrup. I tried several different bitters with it, and simple ol' aromatic works best. I've not settled on a garnish, yet, as I have another month of aging before I have to make a choice. I think I'll get an apple peeler and make some dried apple peel twists. The maple is really dominant, not much apple comes through. It's delicious, even without the standard old fashioned's orange peel. I may stick with that (plus the apple twist dropped on top to keep the theme) just for the balance. A proper old fashioned is my favorite cocktail.

On 9/8/2017 at 0:41 PM, Argonath Diver said:

The bar I work at is having we bartenders each create a cocktail using a 5L barrel. I went with a bottled-in-bond applejack with quality maple syrup. I tried several different bitters with it, and simple ol' aromatic works best. I've not settled on a garnish, yet, as I have another month of aging before I have to make a choice. I think I'll get an apple peeler and make some dried apple peel twists. The maple is really dominant, not much apple comes through. It's delicious, even without the standard old fashioned's orange peel. I may stick with that (plus the apple twist dropped on top to keep the theme) just for the balance. A proper old fashioned is my favorite cocktail.

Yum.  Have you tried a wet apple peel around the top of the glass?  The apple would probably come out a lot more, if that's something you're interested in. 

On 9/2/2017 at 5:46 AM, MisterOJ said:

The main one I'd suggest is Henry McKenna 10-year. I'm pretty sure it's nationally distributed and pretty easy to find.

+1 on the McKenna 10-year bottled-in-bond. Pretty much blows everything else at that price point out of the water.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Suttree said:

Anyone else given King's County Distillery a go? Trippy, nice viscosity and tastes pretty young. Wouldn't turn it down but I'm kinda waffling on it overall.

New, small distilleries are at such a disadvantage. It takes years to produce a good product and most people don't have years to wait before trying to turn a profit. So, these craft distilleries do the best they can, I guess. But at the end of the day, the end result is almost always young and overpriced. So, as a general rule, I stay away from them.

• 5 weeks later...

Can't believe this threads been dead for a month. Anyways, the store I go to won't have Four Roses for a month, so I decided to try other things. Last week I got a bottle of Buffalo Trace, and I gotta say, it's was pretty good. And since I've been in a bad mood today I've decided to treat myself to something a little better, so I picked up my first bottle Woodford Reserve. A little spendy, but I've always heard that it's really good. Now time to drink this bad boy the wrong way by pounding shots down my gullet. 

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Can't believe this threads been dead for a month. Anyways, the store I go to won't have Four Roses for a month, so I decided to try other things. Last week I got a bottle of Buffalo Trace, and I gotta say, it's was pretty good. And since I've been in a bad mood today I've decided to treat myself to something a little better, so I picked up my first bottle Woodford Reserve. A little spendy, but I've always heard that it's really good. Now time to drink this bad boy the wrong way by pounding shots down my gullet. 

I have some four roses that I helped choose the barrel of. we tasted 12 barrels and ended up having one of them bottled and labeled for our restaurant.

it was cool learning how different things tasted being in different areas of the aging warehouse.

I've really been liking Evans Williams 1783 lately. It's wormed its way into my rotation of daily drinkers, despite being lower proofed than the rest. 

Right now, my dailies are the 1783, Very Old Barton bonded, Henry McKenna 10 year and Wild Turkey 101. I also have a bottle of Bernheim Wheat Whiskey that I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to polish off. I liked the first couple drams from the bottle, but a little over halfway through, I've decided it just isn't for me. Too sweet and and boring overall. I won't be buying it again.

One thing I've noticed is that I don't tend to get very drunk on whisky alone.  This is almost certainly because of the way I drink it.   Not sitting there shooting it, but drinking small glasses of it at a relatively slow pace.  Not that I really want to get drunk, I definitely prefer to stay in the mildly buzzed zone, it's just weird to think about.

Case in point, Friday night my girlfriend and I brought a bottle of Dalwhinnie 15 to a Halloween party.  We brought it as part of our contribution to the available booze for everyone at the party and it was on the counter with all the other stuff, but aside from one guy who I personally gave a glass to I don't think anyone else had any of it - yet the bottle was very much empty at the end of the night.  I wasn't keeping too close tabs on the situation, but I do believe that between my girlfriend and myself we killed an entire bottle of scotch in one evening and I know I was probably doing most of the heavy lifting on that.  Granted I had nothing else to drink, not even one beer, but it's hard for me to fathom that I could drink a little over half a bottle of scotch in an evening and not be in a ditch somewhere.  

Definitely a heavy night. I'd expect you had enough food to go along with it that your body processed the alcohol relatively slowly over the night.

The other morning I was a miserable wreck despite only having a couple whiskies and a few beers the night previous. But I'd been exhausted and looking back, had hardly eaten a thing over my shift and the following evening out. I paid for it. Last night I drank two or three times what I had that day, but I ate before and after, had my usual water throughout, and felt 100% today. 

On 10/27/2017 at 5:45 PM, MercurialCannibal said:

I have some four roses that I helped choose the barrel of. we tasted 12 barrels and ended up having one of them bottled and labeled for our restaurant.

it was cool learning how different things tasted being in different areas of the aging warehouse.

That would be an awesome experience. The closest I’ve done to that is taste testing wine at a vineyard in Mendoza, Argentina.

On 10/27/2017 at 6:06 PM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

You inhuman monster. HAVE YOU NO SHAME, SIR?

That was an expensive hangover, lol.

Archived