Football - Leicester's Shakespearean Tragedy

Philokles

Yes, but ter Stegen was never going be cheap either. His release clause is afaik taxed at 80m €. And there was no indication on Barcelona's side, that they want him gone. They have always dubbed him as their future goalkeeper and offered him an extension till 2021. And the coaching staff and team mates there usually praise his ability with his feet. So  ter Stegen basically forced the issue with Bravo. He's made it clear, he wants to be their clear number one goalkeeper right away, or to be transfered, so he can play regular first team football. Because it's all about positioning himself for the German team once Neuer retires there. And his eternal rival Leno has similar ideas. 

Anyway, the situation with ter Stegen at Barcelona left me wondering why Cillessen (Dutch #1) decided the Barcelona bench is a better option than actually playing for Ajax. I mean Cillessen is just 27 himself, so it's not like he wants to collect silverware at the twilight of his career. Ok, the paycheck is bigger, but his chances to oust ter Stegen were rather slim.

20 minutes ago, Notone said:

Ok, the paycheck is bigger, but his chances to oust ter Stegen were rather slim.

People say this kind of thing a lot, but honestly? A player who looks at the current 'keeper and says 'I have no chance of dislodging that guy', doesn't have the correct mentality to play at a big club. Big club players should all believe that they should be in the team. It's just that for 'keepers, the stakes are higher because there are fewer chances to force your way in.

1 hour ago, Real Heir of Bear Island said:

I'm hoping Roma can overcome, if they do I think they become one of the favorites. With the schudetto all but out of reach, I think Spaletti must make something happen or be out of a job. 

I'd love for Totti to end his career with some European success for Roma! 

I do like them or wish them good things in Europa League but Scudetto for Juventus. 

Totti would deserve some trophy and De Rossi for that matter. Both are legends of AS Roma and I admire them.

Could really have done with Lingard and Rashford on there, taking players on and taking chances. Though I understand why he'd want to save Rashford for the weekend (Boro have just sacked Karanka, btw which isn't a shock at all really).

Slight worry over the injury to Pogba especially given Herrera's out for the two games. A Carrick/Fellaini midfield is not what I want to be seeing.

51 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

That england squad is seriously depressing. Our best strikers now are Vardy, Rashford and Defoe?! 

Especially when France can't even fit Coman, Martial, Lacazette, Benzema, Fekir, Modeste and Gignac in their squad. 

8 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

CL QF draw:

Atletico vs Leicester

Dortmund vs Monaco

Bayern vs Real Madrid

Juventus vs Barca

I'm most looking forward to the Dortmund/Monaco game. That one should be entertaining as hell and full of goals too.

Not a good draw for Leicester. Simeone's football is very well suited to facing theirs.

1 hour ago, Horse of Kent said:

Especially when France can't even fit Coman, Martial, Lacazette, Benzema, Fekir, Modeste and Gignac in their squad. 

Not a good draw for Leicester. Simeone's football is very well suited to facing theirs.

Especially Lacazette who has been in fine, rest of them don't really deserve it over those in the squad. Deschamps got plenty to choose from.

2 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

That england squad is seriously depressing. Our best strikers now are Vardy, Rashford and Defoe?! 

Let's be honest Kane is pretty elite level but shame he got injured. I'd even go on to say he might be best in England (considering missed few weeks at the start of the season and then this injury), his goal tally and they way he contributes to this team in overall play is impressive. But in general from the times of Shearer, Rooney (in prime), Sherringham, Fowler, Owen to this is pretty sad. Maybe less expectations, better results.

Archived