Watcha Watching? Tell me everything.

Isis

Watched 4 films in the last few weeks that I'd like to share:

A Man called Ove: 8 stars out of 10. At least. Excellent film after the bestselling book. Swedish language.

About an old man who seems to be in a continiously foul mood , and in some way he is, but there is a great backstory to why this is the case, and his life is reinvigorated by new neighbours. Very much worth seeing for anyone.

Me before you: Very charming role from Emilia Clarke. In terms of romantic movies, this almost vaults into my top 3, and is certainly top 5. She just makes this film, and the guy's lead role is very good as well. A film that is quite memorable, same as Man Called Ove. Also 8 stars.

Suburra: Netflix is releasing it's own 10 episode series of this in 2017, it will be a prequel to this excellent Italian film. Superb characters, superb soundtrack. Great stuff, I've even watched it twice in the space of a week. 8.5 stars out of 10. A reminder to watch the two seasons of Gomorrah, the Italian maffia drama from the makers of this film.

Mc Farland: Kevin Costner stars as the white coach who stars a running team in a city of Mexicans who live hard lives as field pickers. Costner is excellent, as he can be. It's a charming film, good story. It's partly about running but far more about the characters and how running changes their lives. 7.5 stars out of 10.

5 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Watched 4 films in the last few weeks that I'd like to share:

A Man called Ove: 8 stars out of 10. At least. Excellent film after the bestselling book. Swedish language.

About an old man who seems to be in a continiously foul mood , and in some way he is, but there is a great backstory to why this is the case, and his life is reinvigorated by new neighbours. Very much worth seeing for anyone.

I just noticed today that this was added to Amazon Prime and I thought it looked interesting. I'll definitely give it a look.

I re-watched the film FURY on bluray and I liked it even more than when I saw it in the theater. The special features are also pretty damn great. I also tried to re-watch the Thomas Jane PUNISHER film. I got about 50 minutes into it and had to stop. I remember it being disappointing, but wow. It's Razzie level horrible. Just...horrible.

13 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Mystery Science Theater 3000 the Return.

Same hilarious format, old fans will have an adjustment period to the new voices of crow and tom servo but it's funny as ever with the new cast.

Best thing so far is Patton Oswalt as TV's Son of TV's Frank.

I'm so stoked to dive into that later. I've been watching through the "season" of old episodes Netflix has up, I genuinely forgot how much I used to watch MST3K when I was a kid. But a couple minutes after turning it on suddenly I'm singing along to the theme song I completely forgot I knew! Looking forward to returning to the Satellite of Love.

Spoiler

That's more or less how I saw it too. He was revealed to be the informant Pietro was going nuts about, but decided not to go full rat after the arrest.

Also, if you want to watch season 2 in HD then check reddit out. My cable company doesn't have Sundance in HD so I had to look for other means of watching it.

I watched Cold in July with Michael C. Hall. Decent movie. Has a A Walk Among the Tombstones and Prisoners vibe (although not nearly as good as the latter). The trailers for this movie were very misleading because the movie had a couple of plot turns that came out of nowhere and changed the overall dynamic and theme of the entire story. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I was definitely caught off guard expecting something entirely different.

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Fate of the Furious. So stupid. So brilliant.

I swear to God I will never understand how people pass all that stupidity :D 

I want to watch some cooking shows :D 

On 4/15/2017 at 3:13 PM, Risto said:

I swear to God I will never understand how people pass all that stupidity :D 

I want to watch some cooking shows :D 

I have a mostly hate relationship with this franchise. I love fun, dumb action movies but with the MCU era there are just so many fun, smart action films that I don't have as much patience or forgiveness for the dumb action films. I saw the original film and thought it okay but forgettable. I skipped the next three films and saw Fast Five in the theater. I thought F5 was a really entertaining film. Fast6 I also caught in the theater and thought it was much weaker, but okay. I saw F7 mainly out of morbid curiosity to see what they'd do with the Pual Walker character. And that film I actively disliked. I was mad at myself in the theater for actually having paid money to see it. It wasn't even dumb and fun, it was just dumb. Horrible. So unless F8 gets some good reviews, I'll be skipping it completely.

I've already gone through all the Great British Bake Off episodes on Netflix.   I think it's the first four or five  seasons we didn't get in the US. :(

2 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

I've already gone through all the Great British Bake Off episodes on Netflix.   I think it's the first four or five  seasons we didn't get in the US. :(

I watched Seasons 1-7 of TGBBO last year... It was amazing. Season 4's episode with gingerbread houses and young James Morton making his spooky barn is my all-time favorite. The faces of the judges, his reaction, it was awesome.

2 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

I have a mostly hate relationship with this franchise. I love fun, dumb action movies but with the MCU era there are just so many fun, smart action films that I don't have as much patience or forgiveness for the dumb action films. I saw the original film and thought it okay but forgettable. I skipped the next three films and saw Fast Five in the theater. I thought F5 was a really entertaining film. Fast6 I also caught in the theater and thought it was much weaker, but okay. I saw F7 mainly out of morbid curiosity to see what they'd do with the Pual Walker character. And that film I actively disliked. I was mad at myself in the theater for actually having paid money to see it. It wasn't even dumb and fun, it was just dumb. Horrible. So unless F8 gets some good reviews, I'll be skipping it completely.

Tbh I think that often the only difference between the MCU and FF in terms of smartness is that the MCU has superpowers to explain its superpowers. The writing's often but not alway sharper in the MCU, of course, but the Fast and Furious films never devolve into total incoherency even when totally departing the plane of physics reason and they have a surprising dedication to maintaining the consistency of the canon.

But really, the dumbness is the joy.

Anyway, once you take out the emotional factor and the moving tribute to Walker this one is a better film than the last one.

Archived