Watcha Watching? Tell me everything.

Isis

10 hours ago, briantw said:

Watched Get Out.  Enjoyable horror film.  I thought the first half of the movie was a bit slow and boring, but the second half was great.  It definitely went in a direction I wasn't expecting and had a couple of cool twists.

Reveal hidden contents

I do think it was beyond stupid when Chris called 911 at the end of the movie, though.  It's like, dude, you're a black guy who just murdered a handful of rich white people in their home and then set the home on fire.  If the cops show up, you're going to jail for the rest of your life.  No cop is going to believe your crazy story.  Kill them all, burn the house down, destroy any evidence you were ever there, and get the fuck out of dodge.  

Stopping after hitting Georgina was idiotic too, but at least they explained why he would do that.  Of course, it did feel like the writer retroactively added that tidbit about his past to justify his stupid dumb horror movie behavior at the end, but I'll at least accept it because it was a dumb decision with a logical explanation, which is rare in the horror genre.  

Great performances from the cast as well, and it's always fun to see Stephen Root pop up in anything.  Dude is awesome in every role.

Really wanted to see this but it has proved tricky to find at the cinema, at a decent time. I think I am going to wait for it to appear on the small screen.

Last night I had a bit of time to kill and decided to watch Manhattan. Having loved Annie Hall I thought it would be in a similar vein. But even though Diane Keaton is still as glorious as ever, the 'character'* played by Woody Allen is absolutely fucking awful, a terrible human being. So self-centred and egotsistical. And the final scene? I was suppressing a scream. What an absolute horrorshow. URGH. I mean, yeah, there is a lot of humour in the film, but his character, Isaac, is so bloody poisonous that it gets hard to engage with because you just want him to get run ovber or something.

*excuse my ignorance, I guess this is my fault for watching these films so long after their release (but you know, serious, grown up black and white films didn't interest me as a child) but are these characters he plays meant to be 100% fictional characters or is it meant to be/intended/accepted that they are semi-autobiographical roles or what?

10 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Yeah Sky Atlantic dropped all episodes at once here, 13th April. The end of the second episode bothered me so much

Hide contents

I'm talking about Jas walking into an unguarded Rhodesia house, holding them at gunpoint and then walking out in front of the police car and getting away. It wouldn't  really be enough to make me quit, usually. But I have too many other shows I'm enjoying at the minute so I dropped it. Might come back to it if there is a TV lull, but we're getting into prime tv season for me now. American Gods and Sense8 are next week, after all

Hahahaha..... Right.... I see your point... it was really lazy direction...

On 4/25/2017 at 4:28 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Watched the finale of Big Little Lies (which we only got in the U.K. yesterday). The series as a whole was brilliant but the finale really brought everything together in such a powerful, emotional way. The entire cast killed it throughout, I can't even say that one cast member stood out because they were all so good. I loved it. The highlight of the year so far, as far as TV goes. 

I also just finished it this week.  Just amazing.  The only complaint I had is that I had the ending figured out about midway through the third episode and the 'about the episode' for every one was incredibly stupid.  The actual performances though were amazing.

Spoiler

That Perry was the rapist and he's the one that dies at the end.

Binge watched Dear White People (there are only 10 episodes, and they aren't all that long). I thought it was good, though I need to consider it some more before I come to any judgments. 

I did really like how they fleshed out the characters though, and made them all so enjoyable to watch. I loved Lionel, and Sam and Coco were wonderfully layered characters offering different perspectives on racial issues. 

Also , "Defamation" (not-Scandal-I-swear) was hilarious. They had quite a few really funny moments throughout. "I thought [racism] only happened in the 50's or Buzzfeed articles!"

just watched the 2016 " The Magnifcent Seven". What a waste of time. I get frustrated when a good concept (that has been shown to work at least twice), excellent cast (pretty much all of them shone), and diversification of the seven should have allowed them to keep things fresh and interesting. And instead we wind up with a snooze fest. There's a good shout-out halfway through and an overly long one at the end and in a similar fashion to "Rogue One" makes the mistake of not getting us to invest in the core cast and simply relies on archetypes/actors to sell it. Bit of a problem when the final act kind of needs you to care about them. At least Rogue One's plot moved along nicely but this was a chore. Such a waste of talent.

At least I watched it on Netflix.

I wonder if Marvel fans would claim the film would have worked better with several lead in films?

I watched Rogue One. Wow.. this has been the Star Wars movie I have been waiting so long for. I don't know what took so long. I'm tempted to say it's my favorite (and not a lightsaber anywhere!). This was a much better use of the Death Star than the Starkiller base (and the shots themselves of the Death Star in orbit were very good). I really felt the looming terror of it. That 40 minute battle at the end was awesome and far better than any of the wretched space battles in the prequels (though I wish we would have seen more of the different ships like the Y-wings in action). But for all of the CGI and spectacular shots, Grand Moff Tarkin was the best of them all. I rewinded his scenes a couple of times just out of amazement. It really puts into perspective how bad and overdone the special effects in the prequels were.

1 hour ago, WarGalley said:

I'm tempted to say it's my favorite (and not a lightsaber anywhere!).

Given that perhaps the most iconic scene has Vader advancing down a corridor wielding his lightsaber, I'm not sure that's an entirely accurate description.

34 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Given that perhaps the most iconic scene has Vader advancing down a corridor wielding his lightsaber, I'm not sure that's an entirely accurate description.

Argh, I forgot. I actually thought that scene was overrated. Also, Vader's voice seemed off which felt odd -- I thought with James Earl Jones still being alive and the mechanized tone Vader has, that they would be able to re-create his voice perfectly.

I watched Get Out yesterday. I had heard some pretty good things about it so I had fairly high expectations and it managed to live up to them. It was great and I loved it. Easily my favourite movie of the year so far. I hoping for good things in the future for Jordan Peele and Daniel Kaluuya.

5 hours ago, WarGalley said:

I watched Rogue One. Wow.. this has been the Star Wars movie I have been waiting so long for. I don't know what took so long. I'm tempted to say it's my favorite (and not a lightsaber anywhere!). This was a much better use of the Death Star than the Starkiller base (and the shots themselves of the Death Star in orbit were very good). I really felt the looming terror of it. That 40 minute battle at the end was awesome and far better than any of the wretched space battles in the prequels (though I wish we would have seen more of the different ships like the Y-wings in action). But for all of the CGI and spectacular shots, Grand Moff Tarkin was the best of them all. I rewinded his scenes a couple of times just out of amazement. It really puts into perspective how bad and overdone the special effects in the prequels were.

Apparently you missed the best scene of the movie. :P

10 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Watched the 2002 Count of Monte Cristo randomly today. I forgot how much I liked it, and how good Guy Pearce is at playing a complete douche. I also didn't know a teenage Henry "Superman" Cavill was in this.

Completely agree, so much so one of the reasons I find the 2002 remake of The Time Machine so distracting is Pearce plays the protagonist. Also I've always like Jim Caviezel (sp?) and Monte Cristo along with Don Quixote have long been my favorites of classic literature.

The West Wing was my favorite show for the first few seasons in aired, then around season 5 I stopped watching just because I had other distractions going on. I figured I'd get back and catch up with it but never did and then I kind of got turned off Sorkin series with The Newsroom. But I started back with TWW with season 4 and have rekindled my old love for the show.

Just watched Rogue One.  Hated it.  So boring.  They rush here.  Fight some people. Blah blah.  Wash. Rinse. Repeat.  The visuals were spectacular, but the characters, so dull.  The story, so so dull. I am obviously not seeing what most people saw.  

22 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

I think I liked it more than you but yeah it wasn't very memorable aside from the last scene. The characters were very flat (especially in comparison with TFA) Couldn't even tell you any of the rogues names except for Jyn.

I thought she was flat and boring too, like a poorly done version of J. Lawrence Katniss, but without the gravitas, only memorable because she was female and the 'lead' so was in more scenes.  They didn't spend enough time to set up anyone's character or give anyone good enough dialogue to get a handle on their personality.  Best personality manifestation would have to go to the dead guy, Peter Cushing CGI.  I thought even James Earl Jones vocals sounded super bored and muddled.  But then I also disliked the Mad Max remake for much the same reason, run, run run, bang, bang, bang and not much else going on in the actual film on the screen.

I was highly entertained by Suicide Squad though, so maybe it was just an issue of too high expectations based on the reviews.

15 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

highly entertained by Suicide Squad though, so maybe it was just an issue of too high expectations based on the reviews.

You win today's "Strangest Thing I've  Read On The Internet"   trophy.   Doesn't like Rogue one and Fury Road,  but liked Suicide Squad. 

6 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Lmao ye darth vader  (WHICH MY PHONE JUST AUTO CORRECTED TO DARTS CADET HAHAHAH) was badass 

Darts Cadet sounds like Anakin Skywalker's pseudonym in an alternate universe where he took up professional darts rather than pod racing as a child.

Episode 6 of the new Mystery Science Theater.

The movie is Starcrash, a 1978 Star Wars knockoff with an appearance from a young David Hasselhoff. The Hoff was a stone cold fox back then, perfectly feathered hair and eyes as blue as the sky.

Already up there in the running for my funniest MST3K episode ever. The whole episode is hilarious but starting from around the 40 minute mark it until the end I was gut bust laughing. Even a guest appearance by Jerry Seinfeld. So great to see MST3K humor updated to the current era, godamn hilarious. 

Archived