Watcha Watching? Tell me everything.

Isis

Went to see Logan last night. I liked it a lot - in an unchallenging comic book film kind of way. My husband has an unhealthy Wolverine obsession and he seemed pretty happy with it too.

On 16/03/2017 at 2:40 AM, Dr. Pepper said:

I seem to be on a bad movie kick lately.  Watched X-Men Apocalypse.  Bad!  It wasn't even entertaining like most comic movies are.  This franchise must be toast by now.  

Quicksilver was once again the standout.  They should just make shorts about Quicksilver speeding people away from crazy attacks.

That movie is truly horrible. 

On ‎03‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:40 PM, Dr. Pepper said:

I seem to be on a bad movie kick lately.  Watched X-Men Apocalypse.  Bad!  It wasn't even entertaining like most comic movies are.  This franchise must be toast by now.  

Quicksilver was once again the standout.  They should just make shorts about Quicksilver speeding people away from crazy attacks.

Due to time I've only seen the first half of it...I let movies wash over me for the most part, but I'm a little scared about the 2nd half.

Watched The Night Manager with Tom Hiddleston - really enjoyed it.  Interesting antihero portrayal

Just watch the first episode of Sneaky Pete last night. I have mixed feelings about it. Giovanni Ribisi is great and the rest of the cast does a pretty good job. There seem to be some plot holes, but maybe those will resolve as the show progresses. I'm hoping the story arc takes some twists and turns because otherwise it could easily be tad cliche. But, I'm gonna have to watch a couple more episodes before I can really evaluate it.

Last night the Stallone movie Bullet To The Head came on and I watched it for the second time. I remember the movie came out around the same time as a post governator Schwarzenegger movie and A Good Day To Die Hard, all during movie studios usual January-February put out the trash months. I remember thinking of the three, none of them very good, Bullet was the best. On rewatching the movie I confirmed that opinion, but not only is it not that bad, it's actually barely a smidgeon on the side of good.

It's got an 80's sub par Lethal Weapon feel or an 80's Schwarzenegger cop or revenge movie feel (you know, any of the movies he did in the 80's that wasn't sci-fi/fantasy or Commando).

I'd actually recommend it.

5 minutes ago, Joey Crows said:

Just watch the first episode of Sneaky Pete last night. I have mixed feelings about it. Giovanni Ribisi is great and the rest of the cast does a pretty good job. There seem to be some plot holes, but maybe those will resolve as the show progresses. I'm hoping the story arc takes some twists and turns because otherwise it could easily be tad cliche. But, I'm gonna have to watch a couple more episodes before I can really evaluate it.

I felt pretty similar to you did after watching the first episode. I was unenthusiastic about to keep going with it and dragged my feet. However, after, or maybe during, the third episode it got really good and I whole heartedly binged the rest. I won't say that the plot holes or clichés completely get explained or disappear, I think it does tighten up though, but it's the acting and the directing that's excellent and it becomes compelling and most of all just really damn fun to watch whether you can guess what's coming or not.

8 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

I felt pretty similar to you did after watching the first episode. I was unenthusiastic about to keep going with it and dragged my feet. However, after, or maybe during, the third episode it got really good and I whole heartedly binged the rest. I won't say that the plot holes or clichés completely get explained or disappear, I think it does tighten up though, but it's the acting and the directing that's excellent and it becomes compelling and most of all just really damn fun to watch whether you can guess what's coming or not.

Just finished the 2nd and 3rd episodes and I feel much better about it. You're right, the acting and directing is really well done. And things are starting to tighten up and get more interesting than I thought it might be based on the first one.

Watched The Nice Guys last night. Perfect 1.5 beers, Friday night film for when you're worn out and you need something that's entertaining without being hard. At times it did walk the line between being genuinely funny and trying a little bit too hard to be funny. But it was only a couple of times so I'll let it off. I also LOVED all the 70's clothes/music/attitudes and so on.

10 hours ago, Joey Crows said:

Just finished the 2nd and 3rd episodes and I feel much better about it. You're right, the acting and directing is really well done. And things are starting to tighten up and get more interesting than I thought it might be based on the first one.

It keeps getting better. In true Yost fashion, the show continues to escalate and all of the minor side threads get wrapped into the main thread. It's so good.

11 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Progressing through The 100 nicely. Second season is more impressive than the first.

I just finished up the third season, I'm really enjoying this show. My only slight gripe is

Spoiler

Octavia, Warrior Princess. I can deal with the obvious need for plenty of suspension of belief in the show and it doesn't bother me too much, but I think they take Octavia a little too overboard.

3 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

I just finished up the third season, I'm really enjoying this show. My only slight gripe is

Hide contents

Octavia, Warrior Princess. I can deal with the obvious need for plenty of suspension of belief in the show and it doesn't bother me too much, but I think they take Octavia a little too overboard.

Yeah I was thinking the same the other night.

she goes from boarded up secret to war animal... A little too much for me, but not the most egregious thing the show has done. I gotta say I like Bellamy a lot  more this season. He was by far my most hated character 75% of the way through the first season. He's pretty likable at this point. Currently my most hated is Abby. Cannot stand her...

21 hours ago, Isis said:

Watched The Nice Guys last night. Perfect 1.5 beers, Friday night film for when you're worn out and you need something that's entertaining without being hard. At times it did walk the line between being genuinely funny and trying a little bit too hard to be funny. But it was only a couple of times so I'll let it off. I also LOVED all the 70's clothes/music/attitudes and so on.

Fucking loved that movie.  I thought it was a slight improvement on the director's previous work, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, which I also loved.  I really hope it gets a sequel.

23 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Progressing through The 100 nicely. Second season is more impressive than the first.

I've fallen out of touch with the Magicians the last 3 weeks. Need to get back on that.

I still need to continue with season 3 of The 100 I haven't been watching much TV lately at all but it's definitely one of my recent favourite shows 

Almost done with Iron Fist. I don't know why I'm still watching it. It's on par with Luke Cage but with less memorable moments and no interesting villain like Cottonmouth. The writing and dialogue is so cheesy and the acting in the romance scenes is really cringeworthy (and Finn Jones is just bad all around). The fight scenes are few and not very interesting compared to the grittiness of Daredevil or the graphic violence and tension in Jessica Jones. This is real B production stuff... like the makers of CSI or the CW network put this show together for an audience of 10 year olds. I'm wondering if Netflix is trying to take on so much original content that the overall quality of their more successful franchises is falling short here. The one bright side is, I really did like the actor that played Ward (also the ex Neo-nazi from Banshee). He did a fine job out of all of the characters.

Going to go back to season 1 of Gomorrah. Good stuff.

13 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Watched a decent little western called The Salvation with Mads Mikkelsen. It also has Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Eva Green. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's worth a watch.

I saw this like a year and a half ago and didn't care for it at all. Very forgettable. Such a waste because it has an amazing cast. 

Gonna start Gomorrah soon too.

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

I saw this like a year and a half ago and didn't care for it at all. Very forgettable. Such a waste because it has an amazing cast. 

Gonna start Gomorrah soon too.

It was decent but I agree it could have been so much more with the cast.

Just watched "Passengers" points awarded for the trailer not giving the main story away but

a really dark story given the way in which passenger number two is woke up. The show doesn't shy away from it and there's 15 minutes where I thought it was going to be a very claustrophobic thriller but then the film says "ah fuck it" and opts for a traditional ending which leaves a very dubious taste in my mouth given the message it delivers. Also too many contrivances to make the story work - no spare pods or safety protocols simply because nothing has gone wrong before? Really? And the first thing the captain should have done was wake up the rest of the actual crew - pretty sure that's what they were paid for otherwise no point in them. Chris Pratt was also miscast for such a creepy role - they needed someone who can give off a stalker vibe eg Cillian Murphy (who i don't think is a creep but could certainly pull it off on screen).

I watched Rogue One. Really pleased with it! I'm definitely not an expert on the subject, but I felt this film was in better harmony with the saga than episode VII (that felt awkward). Now I feel like watching again the saga XD

Also finished Dirk Gently's, as I saw several posts here recommending it. Thanks for the recommendation guys. 

I convinced my mom to watch Stranger Things, and so far she's liking it (she's on episode 4 iirc), aaaand rewatched What we do in the shadows with a friend Friday night (YES, it finally appeared in my Netflix!! :D )

Archived