Comics XIII

Calibandar

3 hours ago, mormont said:

I haven't read it, but I understand there is some punching of Nazis. Terrible stuff. Nick Spencer would not approve.

Oh that's one thing I approve of. Problem is that the ending is a massive copout.

On another note, I am enjoying Ms America. Girl power hasn't been this entertaining since I watched Powerpuff Girls way back when.

54 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Oh that's one thing I approve of. Problem is that the ending is a massive copout.

On another note, I am enjoying Ms America. Girl power hasn't been this entertaining since I watched Powerpuff Girls way back when.

So let me guess, Cosmic Cube solves everything?

1 hour ago, Red Tiger said:

Lurved me some Powerpuff Girls. Mojo Jojo was my shit. Used to love watching that and Dexter's Lab with my daughter. Good times. 

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Lurved me some Powerpuff Girls. Mojo Jojo was my shit. Used to love watching that and Dexter's Lab with my daughter. Good times. 

Was at a restaurant the other day, a friend of mine started saying some lines in English. The waiter came over and thought we were Americans, I corrected him and told him "god bless, Cartoon Network".

Powerpuff Girls was awesome, but good luck introducing something like Him on today's tv.

1 minute ago, Red Tiger said:

Was at a restaurant the other day, a friend of mine started saying some lines in English. The waiter came over and thought we were Americans, I corrected him and told him "god bless, Cartoon Network".

Powerpuff Girls was awesome, but good luck introducing something like Him on today's tv.

I was just thinking that. A cross dressing(?) devil, with a ridiculously over-the-top drama queen voice? In a children's cartoon? Lulz. I still have that Beat-Alls T-shirt. Get lots of comments on it everytime I wear it.  

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I was just thinking that. A cross dressing(?) devil, with a ridiculously over-the-top drama queen voice? In a children's cartoon? Lulz. I still have that Beat-Alls T-shirt. Get lots of comments on it everytime I wear it.  

My last post on the Powerpuff girls, as I don't want to derail the thread.

On 01/09/2017 at 8:39 AM, Nictarion said:

So Scott Synder and Jock's Wytches is back. Unfortunately it's only in serialised form in Image+, but since I absolutely loved that book I'll take what I can get. Even if that's only 8 pages. 

odd choice of delivering the series.

I'm behind on my comics. Still in shocked disgust at comic shops closing at 5:30pm - especially on a Wednesday in Birmingham. Another black mark against this move. I mean, what kind of comic shop would commit such an evil act? It means I can't get a new comic until Saturdays now and that usually means all the good stuff (saga, etc) is sold out. But maybe less competition with such worker unfriendly hours?

On 30/08/2017 at 10:13 PM, GallowKnight said:

So let me guess, Cosmic Cube solves everything?

Not just that but turns out Captain Nazi wasn't Captain America despite all the BS about it all being "real" etc, at the start of this stupid run. I mean, we all knew it wasn't going to last but I don't understand why Marvel felt the need to make this point. We're all grown-ups and know how superhero comics work - give it to us straight or at least don't flat out lie. Marvel's credibility at this stage is something of a joke.

I've been catching up on the latest Spider-man run (although it's probably been rebooted since then anyway). The one where he's head of an international company. I'll give it credit for doing something different but I think part of the problem for me is that it doesn't feel very much like Spidey anymore. I like the banter and the international flavour but it just feels a bit like he's now Spidey; agent of SHIELD. I think I'd have liked it to have been a bit more shameless in it's "homage" of BAtman incorporated and had various spidey's in all the countries. A bit like they initially did with Prowler as Spidey. It might also just be that I find Zodiac pretty lame as well. I'll keep reading though because, as I say, it's something different and we all know it will revert back eventually. I just noticed Slott's been writing Spidey for almost 10 years now, probably making him one of the longest writers of the book (although a quick check shows there are a lot of writers who did long stints on the book).

On 8/30/2017 at 7:42 AM, Red Tiger said:

Well. Gentlemen, I have just had the pleasure of reading Secret Empire #10. It was an experience to remember.

VOMITS VIOLENTLY

I assume it ended the same formulaic way that most of Marvel's big events usually do. Everything returned to the status quo, making any possible long lasting changes to the Marvel Universe null and void.

12 hours ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

I assume it ended the same formulaic way that most of Marvel's big events usually do. Everything returned to the status quo, making any possible long lasting changes to the Marvel Universe null and void.

Yeah, but in this one Marvel wasn't even trying. Civil war was bad, Civil War II was horrible (especially when you are promoting Captain Marvel in the MCU and she's portrayed as a fascist in the comics) but this really takes the cake. Utterly shameless.

Anyway, Motor Crush is back and im happy.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Okay, a question for the brain trust, do you have a series that is utterly horrible logic-wise, but you consider fun because it's "so bad it's good"?

The Ms. America comic is bad....really bad, but strangely still fun to read for me.

The writer also got trolled

Well, All Star Batman and Robin was certainly entertaining in all its over the top ridiculousness and insanity.

So, I'm guessing the America Chavez book never got better after the first issue. Judging from what I've seen of the comic online I feel like one of the Issues with Ms America is that the writer don't really get how to write comic books.

1 hour ago, GallowKnight said:

Well, All Star Batman and Robin was certainly entertaining in all its over the top ridiculousness and insanity.

So, I'm guessing the America Chavez book never got better after the first issue. Judging from what I've seen of the comic online I feel like one of the Issues with Ms America is that the writer don't really get how to write comic books.

The writer really, REALLY tries to be cool and "down with the kids" so to speak. Problem is in the course of this she forgets to really write a fulfilling story. The book constantly hammers you with America being Latina, spicy and gay, as if those are the only things she has to offer.

It's confusing as all hell to read, as there really doesn't seem to be much of a point to the first story arc, other than America's dealings with love and girl power. Also, it has people endlessly telling the reader how amazing and fantastic she is. It's like the writer never heard of "show, don't tell".

There is clearly passion and energy in this story and im sure the writer worked hard....but the writing is shit.

12 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

Okay, a question for the brain trust, do you have a series that is utterly horrible logic-wise, but you consider fun because it's "so bad it's good"?

The Ms. America comic is bad....really bad, but strangely still fun to read for me.

The writer also got trolled

I mean, I have not read the comic but as a trolling attempt that's pretty shit.

3 hours ago, mormont said:

I mean, I have not read the comic but as a trolling attempt that's pretty shit.

You are completely missing the point.

Off course the trolling is bad, what really makes it pathetic, is that the writer of the comic failed to see the obvious insult and Marvel went for it. The attempt worked.

The comic got compared to arguably the worst film in the history of mankind and she thought it was supposed to be a compliment.

Archived