Comics XIII

Calibandar

The Room is kind of an obscure reference, I'd say.  Although you might think the editor would've looked it up or something.  But otherwise, that seems like a pretty standard letter for a marvel letters page.  I'm often surprised by the depth of feeling on display in there.  That's geeks for you though, more power to them. And fuck 4chan.

Yeah, if your trolling attempt hinges on that reference, it's shit. Not because it's obvious but because it doesn't work. Basically what these guys did was write a letter of praise and ho-ho, it got published. The clever bit is that the praise is supposed to be obviously insincere because nobody could imagine that someone could possibly sincerely like The Room? Sorry. That's just a bit rubbish, really.

What is a good trolling attempt? Isn't trolling supposed to be pointless in itself? Also, if I hear somebody comparing my work to something, id like to know what it is.

Anyway, the trolling was not my main point, it was poorly-written series that are "so bad it's good".

Weirdly, I'm reading Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter comics almost exclusively with only Tekken on the horizon.

I think it's strange but fighting game comics interest me more than standard superhero now.

I also just ADORE the art of Udon's Street Fighter.

On 25-9-2017 at 9:01 PM, C.T. Phipps said:

Weirdly, I'm reading Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter comics almost exclusively with only Tekken on the horizon.

I think it's strange but fighting game comics interest me more than standard superhero now.

I also just ADORE the art of Udon's Street Fighter.

The story and their handling of potential rape on the other hand....

2 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

Ugh and they'd done so good too.

There was never any hint Bison was abusing his dolls so far.

I sadly am all caught up EXCEPT for the Darkstalkers vs. Street Fighters comic.

Edit:

I wonder how many readers know, "Curiously attractive for a fish man" is a line from the cartoon almost no one watched.

7 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

Ugh and they'd done so good too.

There was never any hint Bison was abusing his dolls so far.

I sadly am all caught up EXCEPT for the Darkstalkers vs. Street Fighters comic.

Edit:

I wonder how many readers know, "Curiously attractive for a fish man" is a line from the cartoon almost no one watched.

I know it is. The line was used all the time. Doesn't really make the comic page any less.....questionable, though.

I saw the anime of it recently, I liked it.

Oddly, I hated the anime because it removed the few good characters of the series. Felicia and Raptor teaming up against the Catholic Church is wrong on three or four levels.

But yes, totally agree with the comic's questionability.

• 1 month later...

Great, now it's time for the speculation on "What book that I would otherwise like is Bendis going to shit up with his inability to direct a plot, his maybe-slightly-more-than-one character voice, and wait, I don't actually know what DC stories he's read and will lean upon repeatedly".  Sigh.

Still, something must be deeply weird/wrong at Marvel for him to leave a place where he's gotten to do everything he wants with very little editorial oversight.

19 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

DC threw an armored car full of money at him. 

I dunno, I still don't get it--DC is doing really well for itself right now, and Bendis-qua-Bendis as a selling point is something I'm pretty unconvinced by.  Sure, way back USM was a juggernaut, but that was in a different market and also hit the zeitgeist incredibly well.  Much the same with his Avengers: it's not shocking that you could boost the sales of a venerable but never top-shelf book by adding Spider-Man and Wolverine to the team.  But a number of his personal pet projects you might expect to sell on his name didn't, and CW2 was just godawful.  So I wonder: did he jump or was he pushed?  Maybe we'll find out in a few years.

(I should add and be very clear: I have an incredibly low opinion of Bendis as a writer, which I am happy to discuss in specific detail.  This is kind of a nightmare scenario for me as a fan, except he'll probably end up on a Batbook.)

Ellen Page Joins ‘Umbrella Academy’ Series at Netflix

Ellen Page has been cast in the upcoming Netflix adaptation of the popular comics and graphic novel series “The Umbrella Academy,” Variety has learned.

The live action series follows the estranged members of a dysfunctional family of superheroes (The Umbrella Academy) – Luther, Diego, Allison, Vanya, Klaus and Number Five – as they work together to solve their father’s mysterious death while coming apart at the seams due to their divergent personalities and abilities. Page will play Vanya, the black sheep of her family.

“The Umbrella Academy” series is based on the graphic novels of the same name created and written by Gerard Way, illustrated by Gabriel Bá, and published by Dark Horse Comics.Dark Horse Comics announced that its Eisner Award-winning superhero series The Umbrella Academy will be coming to Netlifx in 2018.

Axel Alonso is stepping down as EIC at Marvel. To be replaced by CB Cebulski. Marvel desperately needs a change from the top down but I suspect there's a business approach flaw with marvel (overpriced and event driven) that isn't going to help the creative approach until changed.

1 hour ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Well, that was inevitable with Marvel bleeding talent, disappointing sales and lackluster books overall.

I wonder how much clout Quesada has in the comics now?

I hope Marvel gets its shit together as it's bad for the industry when they aren't. The comic store from where i grew up is only clinging on and it's because Marvel have gone from generating 60% of sales to 15%. Part of that could be Marvel's audience being digital although I'd like to see what sells digitally - I usually suspect it's their smaller titles - not the A-listers.

I still think they need to fundamentally change their approach. My impression with Marvel now is that they continue to bleed dry the ever dwindling older audience at the expense of maintaining more casual readers and attracting new ones. I'm not sure DC does much to bring in new readers but it seems to be better at keeping the ones they had.

There was an interview with Jeff Lemire on his x-men work and it just seemed like editorial was a nightmare.

5 hours ago, red snow said:

There was an interview with Jeff Lemire on his x-men work and it just seemed like editorial was a nightmare.

Yeah, it was pretty clear the plot was handed to him, with no chance of major deviations, which is straight from the Harras' playbook. All that to make the Inhumans look cool,,,*sigh*

4 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Yeah, it was pretty clear the plot was handed to him, with no chance of major deviations, which is straight from the Harras' playbook. All that to make the Inhumans look cool,,,*sigh*

One positive if Disney buys the X-men back from Fox would be an end to the bizarre antics at the comics division.

Credit to Alonso when he was X-men editor he oversaw the messiah complex arcs. It was only when he became EIC they seemed to go rapidly downhill.

I anyone following the DC Doomsday storyline? I've only heard snippets of it - I'm not even sure whether it's out yet or not.

Metal or heavy (whatever the Snyder event is currently being published) hasn't interested me at all. From what I can gather it just seems to be an excuse to have lots of different Batmen running around. There's nothing other than that to draw me in. Does anyone have a better spin on it?

I'm missing "Clean room"

Archived