Comics XIII

Calibandar

On 13/12/2017 at 2:35 PM, Red Tiger said:

Yeeeeeeep, hence why im excited. No more of this pushing the Inhumans to be the new X-men kind of shit.

The X-books are in desperate need of some TLC. There's little excuse to ignore them once they join the MCU (and they get merch rights back). It also helps that Inhumans the Film-turned-TV show was an absolute disaster. Maybe they'll go back to Fraction's abandoned GOT style feature the real inhumans? Anything resembling the Jenkins/Jae Lee run would be welcome.

I was listing my favourite reads of 2017 over the weekend and oddly "Vision" volumes 1 and 2 came out on top. That book really touched me - moreso in the sense I've never cared about the character but his extended family and his alienation was easily the best thing Marvel has done in many a year. It deserves to be read more widely and if Netflix/disney ever decide to make a limited series with Paul Bettany onboard, I'd be all over.it.

Clean Room, Southern Bastards and East of West were also quite high in the list so even though I know I read less comics and would argue I'm technically off them it's good to know that a well crafted comic is still really hard to top in terms of written/visual entertainment.

12 minutes ago, red snow said:

The X-books are in desperate need of some TLC. There's little excuse to ignore them once they join the MCU (and they get merch rights back). It also helps that Inhumans the Film-turned-TV show was an absolute disaster. Maybe they'll go back to Fraction's abandoned GOT style feature the real inhumans? Anything resembling the Jenkins/Jae Lee run would be welcome.

I was listing my favourite reads of 2017 over the weekend and oddly "Vision" volumes 1 and 2 came out on top. That book really touched me - moreso in the sense I've never cared about the character but his extended family and his alienation was easily the best thing Marvel has done in many a year. It deserves to be read more widely and if Netflix/disney ever decide to make a limited series with Paul Bettany onboard, I'd be all over.it.

Clean Room, Southern Bastards and East of West were also quite high in the list so even though I know I read less comics and would argue I'm technically off them it's good to know that a well crafted comic is still really hard to top in terms of written/visual entertainment.

Yes, I too really loved Clean room. I still haven't heard anything about a season 2.

IMO, other than some netflix shows and the films, Marvel really doesn't do screenwork well. Their cartoons have been forgettable for a while now, Agents of Shield is going nowhere and like you said Inhumans was garbage.

I'll take a look at Vision.

• 2 weeks later...

For a long time now, DC has been pimping a "bold new line" called The New Age of Heroes.  To me, it seemed like a big pile of garbage.  Well, the first issue of the first series, Damage, arrived this week.  I read it just to see if my instincts were correct, and they were.  Even though, I have to admit that the artwork is good, the title character is just a ripoff of The Hulk with a few dashes of Captain America in order to give an appearance of originality.  Also, I hate the trope of the enigmatic, top secret, off the books quasi-governmental agency, and this one issue included two of them.

On 1/19/2018 at 11:03 PM, Teng Ai Hui said:

For a long time now, DC has been pimping a "bold new line" called The New Age of Heroes.  To me, it seemed like a big pile of garbage.  Well, the first issue of the first series, Damage, arrived this week.  I read it just to see if my instincts were correct, and they were.  Even though, I have to admit that the artwork is good, the title character is just a ripoff of The Hulk with a few dashes of Captain America in order to give an appearance of originality.  Also, I hate the trope of the enigmatic, top secret, off the books quasi-governmental agency, and this one issue included two of them.

It's pretty much what I expected from an artist-driven book when the artist is Tony Daniel.  We'll see if any of the others are more compelling and less ~*~SPLASH PAGES!!!~*~

On 07/01/2018 at 5:11 PM, Red Tiger said:

Yes, I too really loved Clean room. I still haven't heard anything about a season 2.

IMO, other than some netflix shows and the films, Marvel really doesn't do screenwork well. Their cartoons have been forgettable for a while now, Agents of Shield is going nowhere and like you said Inhumans was garbage.

I'll take a look at Vision.

The Marvel cartoons were usually pretty solid until Disney got their hands on them and abruptly cancelled what I felt were great shows in Spectacular Spider-man, Wolverine and the X-men and Earth's mightiest heroes (which was Disney but it got cannded for another Avengers cartoon).

On 25/01/2018 at 7:29 AM, KingintheNorth4 said:

Just finished reading Dooomsday #3, the story is still moving at a slow and methodical pace, and the bimonthly schedule doesn't help, but I'm still gonna stick it out.

I'll probably enjoy the trade.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/24/2017 at 10:53 AM, Nictarion said:

Anyone planning on reading Doomsday Clock? I picked up the first issue but haven’t had a chance to read it yet. 

I think it's kind of terrible.

It's got decent enough ideas, at least better than Before Watchmen, but I'm trying to figure out the point.

Also, this stuff should be in the mainstream books.

9 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

It's got decent enough ideas, at least better than Before Watchmen, but I'm trying to figure out the point.

The point is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Batman meets Rorschach! Superman meets Doctor Manhattan! The Watchmen become clearly and irrevocably part of the main DC continuity and fuck you Alan Moore, we own this shit forever! Hey, anybody want to see Rorschach in the Justice League? You'd buy that, fanboys, right? It'd be super awesome.

On 2/21/2018 at 8:41 PM, Nictarion said:

Does anyone read Brian K Vaughan’s Paper Girls? Thinking about picking up the first trade. 

I don't read BKV books until they're done because IME he has a sterling track record of 1) middle-run slumps 2) Gainax-class fuck you endings.  But that Cliff Chiang art...

On 2/27/2018 at 0:35 PM, Little Valkyrie said:

I don't read BKV books until they're done because IME he has a sterling track record of 1) middle-run slumps 2) Gainax-class fuck you endings.  But that Cliff Chiang art...

You’re missing out on Saga. It’s been consistently great for 49 issues now. 

Frank Miller.

Writing Superman.

Oh DC no. No. 

No.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/dc-comics-multiverse-is-expanding-with-a-new-black-labe-1823609708

Who's looking forward to Superman going scorched earth on Iran? Clark Kent exposing the liberal media conspiracy with his new FOX talk show? And of course scantily-dressed prostitutes with guns. Not sure yet how those will be worked in. Maybe Lois goes undercover? 

I really felt like Miller did a good job with capturing Superman as a foil to Batman in The Dark Knight Returns, but he lost the plot a long time ago and this does sound terrible.

Wonder Woman Historia sounds cool, though. Batman: Last Knight on Earth, OTOH, sounds too much like Punisher: The End.

On 3/3/2018 at 6:49 AM, Nictarion said:

You’re missing out on Saga. It’s been consistently great for 49 issues now. 

I'm on and off peeking in on Saga and I understand on a certain level why it's the juggernaut that it is but I don't think it's actually very good, no.

Sarah Horrocks, who has a very distinctive POV on comics I don't always agree with but always appreciate, did a good rundown on it from an art-centric perspective here:

http://whitelippedviper.tumblr.com/post/165251937847/pop-comics-4-saga-46-come-mush-with-me

On 09/03/2018 at 4:44 PM, Ran said:

:rofl:
Seven figure deal to adapt Rob Liefeld's Extreme Universe for Netflix. WTF .

Netflix really should have checked the comparative success of his non-marvel work. This is like giving stan lee a shed load of money for his non-marvel works.

I guess it was other creative teams that made Deadpool and (sort of) Cable into successes. Maybe they are hoping with the correct people working on an adaptation the same will happen again?

Otherwise it feels like buying the IP of things just so others can't make shows out of them.

At this point I have to assume that the Wildstorm (Wildcats/stormwatch/authority) rights are completely tied up with DC/WB now? That could make a great TV/film franhise.

Archived