Comics XIII

Calibandar

52 minutes ago, red snow said:

Netflix really should have checked the comparative success of his non-marvel work. This is like giving stan lee a shed load of money for his non-marvel works.

I guess it was other creative teams that made Deadpool and (sort of) Cable into successes. Maybe they are hoping with the correct people working on an adaptation the same will happen again?

Otherwise it feels like buying the IP of things just so others can't make shows out of them.

At this point I have to assume that the Wildstorm (Wildcats/stormwatch/authority) rights are completely tied up with DC/WB now? That could make a great TV/film franhise.

DC owns everything Wildstorm lock stock and barrel.

The Ellis reboot is pretty good stuff, Jon Davis-Hunt really gives it a modern and coherent feel.  And it's more of a bonus feel if you happen to have read a shitload of 90s stuff than any kind of prereq.

18 hours ago, Little Valkyrie said:

DC owns everything Wildstorm lock stock and barrel.

The Ellis reboot is pretty good stuff, Jon Davis-Hunt really gives it a modern and coherent feel.  And it's more of a bonus feel if you happen to have read a shitload of 90s stuff than any kind of prereq.

I should probably check it out now there's several issues. The first issue felt like it'd read better as trades and Ellis and his artists tend to run late.

I really liked his stormwatch back in the day and it's good to see him revamping the line. Is the new series in it's own universe (it seemed so)? If they are does this mean that the Authority, etc no longer exist in the DCU? I know Midnighter was part of DCU until recently.

Warren Ellis needs his day in the sun, re: adaptation. Planetary could be amazing,

Also, I'm late to this, but I see last month Ta-Nehisi Coates was moving from BP to Captain America. I'm excited by this, given Coates's remarks on his wrestling with the character and what he means without falling into the mental trap of simply assuming the worst.

Certainly will be better than Steve Rogers, Secret Nazi. :P

On 3/12/2018 at 2:09 PM, red snow said:

I should probably check it out now there's several issues. The first issue felt like it'd read better as trades and Ellis and his artists tend to run late.

I really liked his stormwatch back in the day and it's good to see him revamping the line. Is the new series in it's own universe (it seemed so)? If they are does this mean that the Authority, etc no longer exist in the DCU? I know Midnighter was part of DCU until recently.

As best I can tell, some of the Wildstorm characters also exist in the DCU with somewhat different histories etc. (N52 Stormwatch was a book that somehow no one could make work, and is best left in the past), but The Wild Storm is off in its own Earth.  In fact, in the Michael Cray book, there are Wildstorm versions of DCU mainline characters, which isn't a conceit I'm crazy about and the execution has been meh, but it's a thing.  As someone who's always been meh on The Authority in part for how it came to take over WS, it's nice that Ellis has been spreading the love around--not a hint of Apollo or Midnighter yet, but lots of the C.A.T.S. and others.

Maybe more Entertainment than Literature, but what the hell: Kurt Busiek is penning a pilot script for a potential Astro City series, from the production company behind American Gods. I adore Astro City.

http://deadline.com/2018/03/astro-city-comic-book-anthology-tv-series-american-gods-producer-fremantlemedia-north-america-1202339180/

On 3/23/2018 at 2:07 PM, Ran said:

Maybe more Entertainment than Literature, but what the hell: Kurt Busiek is penning a pilot script for a potential Astro City series, from the production company behind American Gods. I adore Astro City.

http://deadline.com/2018/03/astro-city-comic-book-anthology-tv-series-american-gods-producer-fremantlemedia-north-america-1202339180/

always been a fan myself.  this is potentially excellent news.

• 3 weeks later...

East of West is being developed by Amazon. Could make a great show and should hopefully make it easier for Hickman to pursue creator owned. Although I'd still like to see him tackle legion, superman or give the X-Men a go.

Didn't know there was a full season order for remenders deadly class either. Guess it's the most adaptable project by him. I'd like to see someone try low or black science though!

Bleeding cool's rumour that Grant Morrison is taking over "Green Lantern" will have me buying the book for the first time since Geoff Johns left.

None of the other rumoured changes have resulted in a similar reaction yet. I was concerned Morrison was done with DC as I found it odd that he (and Quietly) didn't get to feature in action 1000. I guess All Star wasn't action comics but still. Picked up action 1000 as irrespective of the contrived way of reaching that number it's still one hell of a landmark and the fact it featured words and art from some of the main contributors over the years made it a worthwhile purchase - even if I'm not currently reading the superman books. I've heard Tomasi has done a good job.  Curious that Tom King got to do a story - wonder if he's getting a superman title or JLA book anytime soon? Or does DC just realise King can craft a great story and it's worth keeping him happy? Even if his best stories are using B-characters rather than A listers.

"Bendis is coming" feels more like "winter is coming" than some herald of good tidings and I've still no interest in reading his take on Superman. I can see why DC thinks it's exciting but I think the Marvel folks who liked him are probably loyal to marvel rather than Bendis. I think if he was writing a street level character or something like the Qustion, I'd be curious but I can only think of bad things with his take on superman. Although the Daily planet and the reporting side may be more interesting with him.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just read Lazarus #27 and apparently after #28 the book will start a new format and new schedule. It’s going to be quarterly now, and expand to 64 pages (44 being the comic) with essays, artifacts, and short fiction by Rucka and others. Larger issues will be nice, but waiting that long in-between kind of sucks. 

On 29/04/2018 at 5:22 PM, Nictarion said:

So I just read Lazarus #27 and apparently after #28 the book will start a new format and new schedule. It’s going to be quarterly now, and expand to 64 pages (44 being the comic) with essays, artifacts, and short fiction by Rucka and others. Larger issues will be nice, but waiting that long in-between kind of sucks. 

Yeah - the big gap over last year lead me to missing out on issue 1 of the fill in series and essentially caused me to lose track of the title. I bought the GN covering that but after the wait and this news part of me feels as if I might just stick to the trades and save up the story.

The new format sounds like the death of the book for me unless Rucka is planning on telling 44 page stories. I certainly don't have the patience or ability to enjoy a story that takes at least 6 months to play out. But it might just work if they are self contained stories.

Seems really weird to essentially grant the series a slow death when it's being developed into a show for Amazon. Guess if Rucka's actively involved in the show he knows where the money will come from and is maybe more interested in playing the story out on TV - it's certainly a concept that would be well suited to TV.

21 hours ago, red snow said:

Seems really weird to essentially grant the series a slow death when it's being developed into a show for Amazon. Guess if Rucka's actively involved in the show he knows where the money will come from and is maybe more interested in playing the story out on TV - it's certainly a concept that would be well suited to TV.

IIRC, the motivation is that Lazarus would be DOA if it were going by the sales of the singles, but it has a steady amount of trade sales that play out over a longer period of time (as opposed to how singles are ordered by shops and sold and not kept on the shelf for an extended period).  So reorienting the work flow toward the trade waiters makes sense for both the creative and the money side of things.  I would worry about the pacing (I haven't read any of this book, but I've read enough of Rucka to know that he likes to take his time/holy decompression, Batman) in this extended format--some people really make it worth the while, some people need the tighter structure of the monthly to not indulge themselves.

45 minutes ago, Little Valkyrie said:

IIRC, the motivation is that Lazarus would be DOA if it were going by the sales of the singles, but it has a steady amount of trade sales that play out over a longer period of time (as opposed to how singles are ordered by shops and sold and not kept on the shelf for an extended period).  So reorienting the work flow toward the trade waiters makes sense for both the creative and the money side of things.  I would worry about the pacing (I haven't read any of this book, but I've read enough of Rucka to know that he likes to take his time/holy decompression, Batman) in this extended format--some people really make it worth the while, some people need the tighter structure of the monthly to not indulge themselves.

It also suggests that while the single sales may not be the driving force they must still play a significant role as otherwise why not just bring a trade out every 9-12 months with a whole story in? I imagine one can't exist without the other even if the trades are the largest income.

I suppose the TV show is still a long way off and may never become a reality but I imagine Lark, Rucka and Image would love to have a decent trade library waiting if it does air. It would also seem a bad PR if the comic was cancelled prior to the release of the show

The discussion of Lazarus and its changes reminds me of the fact that after a very long silence, Eric Shanower has some news concerning Age of Bronze, his truly awesome, Eisner-winning comic adaptation of the Homeric cycle. In brief, it's going full color, starting with a reprint of the first issue (already on-sale, and available on Comixology for just $1), and then all the collections will be re-released in color, leading up to the long-awaited issue #34 being published early next year as a digital-only release. All future issues will be digital-only, with the collected trades being printed.

Only thing I'm sad about is that it doesn't sound like they'll continue the really cool annotated Age of Bronze app, which had commentaries from a classics grad student delving into Shanower's adaptation and its sources.

If you haven't read Age of Bronze, that first issue is a good, cheap way to get a look at it. Highly recommended.

Tried using search but nothing came up about Tom King's Mr. Miracle? I assume someone here is reading the Best Book on the Stands?

Tom King really got to me with this book, I think the relationship between Barda and Scott is one of the best I've seen depicted in fiction for quite some time.

He also does the convergence of what the New Gods are - Gods who are Super Heroes who have very Human sensibilities. The mystery of what exactly is happening, and how beings who can alter reality might play their games against each other might work. I want to say more but feel like it would spoil too much.

Age of bronze sounds like it's worth a look. After "Troy fall of a city" I'm open to different takes on the story.

Thanks to my move to Birmingham where the comic shops close at 6 and I can't get there until 6:05 after work I've fallen out of single issue comics, mainly because it requires a 1 hour journey and books are often sold out at the weekend. Oddlt realised I've always lived/worked somewhere within 10 mins of a comic shop until recently. Definitely affects my buying habits.

Anyway, I was wanting to buy Mr miracle as it felt like it could be Tom kings DC "vision" in the sense it's a property I imagine DC doesn't hold the writers to a tight leash. By the same token, I suspect it will read better as a genuine graphic novel so waiting for 12 issues worth before starting to read. I'm guessing it's a maxi series posing as a regular?

• 4 weeks later...

'Locke and Key' Picked Up to Series at Netflix

After eight years and multiple writers and outlets, IDW's beloved comic Locke and Key is finally coming to the small screen.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Netflix is near a series-order deal for the drama based on Joe Hill's graphic novel from showrunner Carlton Cuse. Netflix declined comment as deals are not done.

Sources say the streamer is in talks to license the rights for the IP and redevelop the drama with IDW Entertainment. The Netflix series is not the Hulu pilot. Instead, Cuse and Joe Hill will redevelop the series for the streaming giant with an entirely new cast and new director. Andy Muschietti, who helmed the Hulu pilot, is busy with It 2 and is no longer avaialble to direct. He will still be credited as an executive producer on the Netflix series.

Congrats to Joe Hill. Hung out with him in Madrid last year and one of the things we talked about was Locke & Key. He was very optimistic that it was going to go forward this time around, and in fact noted he'd been having calls with the producers and writers while there.

Archived