Comics XIII

Calibandar

Walked into an area comic shop today, as I need a new one for the Milwaukee area...yes, I'm trying to get Little Jax into comics, but my main reason was I needed to find Strangers in Paradise XXV #2, 3, 4, as I wasn't able to pick them up due to the move and getting settled...couldn't find it on the shelves.  So I asked the guy behind the counter about it.  He had no idea there was a SiPXXV.  He said it's been a while since he's been surprised like that.  I think I'm going to look for a different shop...

On 6/2/2018 at 4:45 PM, Red Tiger said:

I have given up on The Clean Room getting a season 2. Eh, im certain Image Comics will make something else that's interesting in the future.

Image has plenty of great books atm. Far more than the big 2 anyway. 

Give Gideon Falls a try if you’re interested in another horror title. Only a few issues so far, but I’m liking it. 

8 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Give Gideon Falls a try if you’re interested in another horror title. Only a few issues so far, but I’m liking it. 

No thanks, I don't like the artwork.

On 6/2/2018 at 9:45 PM, Red Tiger said:

I have given up on The Clean Room getting a season 2. Eh, im certain Image Comics will make something else that's interesting in the future.

It was by Vertigo or did Gail Simone transfer publishing over to Image?

On 6/5/2018 at 3:32 AM, Nictarion said:

As I've mentioned I'm going through a lull thanks to comic shops in my area having antisocial opening times but I have to admit about no longer being so excited about new Image realeases. A few years back and I was trying everything they released but I was burned by a few mediocre releases story/art wise and the sheer number. Now I'm more willing to wait for the trade and positive reaction to spread.

6 minutes ago, red snow said:

As I've mentioned I'm going through a lull thanks to comic shops in my area having antisocial opening times but I have to admit about no longer being so excited about new Image realeases. A few years back and I was trying everything they released but I was burned by a few mediocre releases story/art wise and the sheer number. Now I'm more willing to wait for the trade and positive reaction to spread.

I’m the exact opposite. I like to support my LCS as much as possible. I don’t really try just anything though. Mostly stick to writers/artists I like. 

53 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Vertigo, I got them mixed up.

Easy enough to do considering Image became vertigo in all but name when the DC imprint imploded.

4 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I’m the exact opposite. I like to support my LCS as much as possible. I don’t really try just anything though. Mostly stick to writers/artists I like. 

Oh I'm still loyal to my childhood LCS (24 years and counting) and my regular pull list is there. But it's impractical for New releases unless the creative team is a no brainer for me. Although weirdly there are some artists I avoid if teamed with Mark Millar where I'd otherwise buy.

Amazon Greenlights ‘Invincible’ Superhero Animated Series From Robert Kirkman

Amazon Studios has given an eight-episode hourlong animated series Invincible, from The Walking Dead‘s Robert Kirkman, Cory Walker and artist Ryan Ottley, based on Kirkman’s popular comic book series of the same name.

Co-created by Kirkman and Walker and based on the Skybound/Image comic, Invincible is an adult animated superhero show that revolves around Mark Grayson, a normal teenager except for the fact that his father is the most powerful superhero on the planet.

Invincible cartoon, nice. Was looking for a new cartoon after dropping Voltron.

In other news, Marvel doesn't have the balls to follow through on the Shadowcat/Colossus wedding. What else is new. Welp, at least Rogue and Gambit tied the knot.

The events within Dark Nights: Metal have affected most of DC's books.  Its comic book universe has changed drastically.  With that in mind, how does DC expect readers to care about Doomsday Clock, the mini-series that finally explains the events that established its previous reboot, DC Rebirth?

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2018 at 5:39 AM, TyrionFan82 said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned but has anyone read Fables? It's a Vertigo title and is finished but it's REALLY cool!

It's really good. I read it as the trades were out. I think I have the last 3-4 volumes to read. I basically hit a patch where an entire volume was set up so I decided to wait until it was finished, then never got round to finishing.

Jack of fables is also a very worthy spin off as is the telltale game.

Saga 54 is magnificent but damn BKV and staples announcing the book is going on at least a 1 year hiatus. That's a long time to let events from this issue sink in. It's rare that a comic stirs my feelings this much. 

4 hours ago, red snow said:

Saga 54 is magnificent but damn BKV and staples announcing the book is going on at least a 1 year hiatus. That's a long time to let events from this issue sink in. It's rare that a comic stirs my feelings this much.

BKV is certainly good at that. Him and Jeff Lemire can get to me like nobody else. 

Really sucks it’s going on such a long break. It’s been the book I look the most forward to every month for years now. First Lazarus, now Saga. 

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

BKV is certainly good at that. Him and Jeff Lemire can get to me like nobody else. 

Really sucks it’s going on such a long break. It’s been the book I look the most forward to every month for years now. First Lazarus, now Saga. 

Ennis was able to do it with Preacher as well especially in terms of making you really hate characters you were rooting for a couple of issues earlier.

If the ending is taken at face value the intermission may actually work well as the comic will be different from here on out.

Hopefully towards the end of the intermission they might be able to treat us with 12 issues rather than the usual 9 a year.

I'm also wondering whether we'll be hearing an announcement of Fiona staples doing something for Marvel/DC? I don't know if she has a favourite comic but I imagine that would be something to help her recharge. 

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up The Sandman Universe #1. I really liked the art on the Dreaming portion so I’ll likely get that one monthly when the 4 separate books start coming out. Probably Lucifer and the House of Whispers, too. Not familiar with Books of Magic. 

Archived