Comics XIII

Calibandar

On 8/1/2018 at 4:47 PM, mormont said:

This is a nice short blog entry about the insanity of Marvel releasing a five-issue limited series, explicitly aimed at new, younger comics readers, that consists of an issue #0 followed by four separate differently-titled #1s. 

It does make you wonder what marketing skills are present. I suspect part of the reason why image does well with new readers is that they are pretty straight forward in sense you pick up one title and then read the one with a higher number afterwards.

On 8/10/2018 at 1:06 PM, Nictarion said:

Picked up The Sandman Universe #1. I really liked the art on the Dreaming portion so I’ll likely get that one monthly when the 4 separate books start coming out. Probably Lucifer and the House of Whispers, too. Not familiar with Books of Magic. 

I'm mildly curious about these. It would be nice to have a selection of books within a contained universe. 5 titles isn't so bad if they are all good and it looks like they are independent stories.

I'm weirdly enjoying the hawkman book. Largely because of the art and the fact Hitch has actually though about how the character would fly and how it would affect his fighting eg he's into kicks using his wings for lift/speed 

15 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Just blitzed through Deadly Class. Holy crap is it good. 

Only read the first trade which was good but not enough to follow further. Does it get better as it goes along or am I just not gelling with it?

4 hours ago, red snow said:

Only read the first trade which was good but not enough to follow further. Does it get better as it goes along or am I just not gelling with it?

It gets quite a bit better, though I would say it doesn't really get into amazingness until volume 3. #2 is pretty great though. That said, if you don't like the character of Marcus and he doesn't speak to you, chances are it's not going to work for you that well; a lot of the reason that it worked for me is how well it captured the despondency and depression and self-doubt of teenagerdom for me. 

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

It gets quite a bit better, though I would say it doesn't really get into amazingness until volume 3. #2 is pretty great though. That said, if you don't like the character of Marcus and he doesn't speak to you, chances are it's not going to work for you that well; a lot of the reason that it worked for me is how well it captured the despondency and depression and self-doubt of teenagerdom for me. 

I'll try and give it another shot. It wasn't bad and I enjoyed the art.

5 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

I really enjoyed the storyarc that recently finished in Batman (issues #51-53).  Tom King takes the plot from 12 Angry Men and drops it into Gotham City.  It was the best plot line that I read this year. 

Not a bad source to riff off. Seems like a good arc to win back those let down by the bat wedding.

I picked up the first two of the new sandman books. Like someone else said it looks potentially interesting and having 4 thematically connected books could be nice. It seems vertigo is having a little bit of a rebirth although non if the new titles mentioned particularly grabbed me they did seem varied and a bit different. Golden age vertigo was always one where it was hard to predict what would become a hit from the pitch so there might be some gold in these releases.

I also weirdly enjoy the DC nation books. It's an advert but it's a free advert and some of the features on the actual making of comics are really interesting and I'm left with an easy checklist for what DC books are coming out on a weekly schedule. Good marketing.

I was reading an online article about some "new/another" marvel No1 launching at $7.99. it was X-Men related. The article was saying how that's clearly a case of marvel milking the existing/waning fanbase rather than trying to get new readers. I think the article went too far suggesting $1 given the content but I do think they'd be better served with a $4 bumper issue or $2 regular one. I think I'd need a stellar creative team and change in Marvel's general approach to try an x-book again but I certainly wouldn't be bothering with an $8 issue 1. I know DC did something similar with action 1000 but that was a landmark issue and also not designed as an intro comic, more a celebration of the comic

Re TWD #180 & "A New World Order"

I was skeptical with this arc at first, but I really enjoyed where it ended up going and what it sets up for the book in the months to come. I really liked how Michonne was the lead for the "A-story" and how it was a mostly positive arc for her. And the darker side of the Commonwealth is also a pretty harsh reflection at modern society, too. I like seeing how these characters are going though a microcosm of human evolution post-outbreak, that is from individual survival, to small groups, to tribes, then communities, and now a society.

On 8/10/2018 at 7:06 AM, Nictarion said:

Picked up The Sandman Universe #1. I really liked the art on the Dreaming portion so I’ll likely get that one monthly when the 4 separate books start coming out. Probably Lucifer and the House of Whispers, too. Not familiar with Books of Magic. 

I read this and Dreaming #1. I was a huge (Yuuuuge) Sandman fan back in the day and even kept up with the first iteration of The Dreaming for a year or so, but both of these books left me feeling kinda humdrum and a bit "been there, done that." Maybe I was just in a mood. But I likely won't purchase issue #2 of either. I might check out the trades if the reviews are good on the first arcs though. :/

31 minutes ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

I read this and Dreaming #1. I was a huge (Yuuuuge) Sandman fan back in the day and even kept up with the first iteration of The Dreaming for a year or so, but both of these books left me feeling kinda humdrum and a bit "been there, done that." Maybe I was just in a mood. But I likely won't purchase issue #2 of either. I might check out the trades if the reviews are good on the first arcs though. :/

I decided I’m only going to get The Dreaming issues monthly. Four books is a lot to keep up with, and the only one that the art impressed me was The Dreaming. 

Also, am I wrong but I thought Sandman Universe #1 was just to set up the individual books? 

Finally finished the dark nights metal trade and what an utter piece of garbage it was. The art is great but what the hell was the story? I'm pretty knowledgeable in DC lore but all the metal crap had me utterly confused and it felt like someone was just throwing together concepts from other writers runs into some "coherent" through line. It wasn't. I know there are tie ins to this but given many characters had side missions in this that didn't go anywhere I'm left feeling the tie ins were actually integral to the plot? Or at least I hope so.

This book epitomised for me what is wrong with mainstream comics and how based on the critical acclaim this nonsense is what the average reader loves. I can only think it's catering to the hardcore fanbase or possibly children as the plot most reminded me of when I'd play with my transformers, he-men and Lego and concoct some super crossover plot with everyone on their own missions around the bedroom.

On a more positive note Bendis' superman books have been ok. I think I prefer action as Gleason has become the superman artist of the current artists but also because I like the plot of small time criminals committing crimes in secret while super man is distracted. I can't remember which book had the superman speech about why he doesn't go insane being able to hear the constant cries for help too.

Rogol zaar is still pretty lame and I don't like his design but overall I'd say it's the first time in a long while I've not being annoyed by Bendis'. The change of scenery has done him good

In fairness the "no justice" book was a lot, lot better than heavy metal. A thinly veiled rip off of Galactus and the teams were mandated more by character popularity/promotion than fitting whatever feeling/state they were going for. But fun dialogue and not getting lost with too many sidequests.

On 9/19/2018 at 1:48 AM, red snow said:

I can only think it's catering to the hardcore fanbase or possibly children as the plot most reminded me of when I'd play with my transformers, he-men and Lego and concoct some super crossover plot with everyone on their own missions around the bedroom.

Terrible! Terrible - you should probably describe more of what happened so we can fully identify the terrible of it!

28 minutes ago, Callan S. said:

Terrible! Terrible - you should probably describe more of what happened so we can fully identify the terrible of it!

Guess it's great from a nostalgia point of view though. The plot is hard to describe as it was so chaotic for me. Some kind of bat demon (that grant Morrison mentioned in his run on batman) hangs out with old batman and superman. Deathstroke and aquaman look for some metal. Green lantern and Mr terrific hang out with elastic man (who is now an egg) because he's some type of metal. Wonder woman hangs out with detective chimp Dr fate and some other people who we never see again besides a panel at the end. And there's a joker batman with piercings who looks a bit like judge death from 2000AD. I guess if you can embrace the insanity of it all it is absolutely amazing. Personally I preferred the "no justice" follow up where there are big ideas but slightly less insane in the execution.

Is anyone here going to check out "heroes in crisis" ? On the one hand it's interesting to look at the psychological side of heroes while in the other I wonder how well the writer can merge superheroine with PTSD? I think it would be easier with less iconic figures. The art looks great and Tom King has a strong track record. Key thing for me will be seeing how many tie ins appear as ideally I'd like the story to be in the series proper.

Archived