Comics XIII

Calibandar

1 hour ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

@red snow I'm willing to give "Heroes in Crisis" a chance (2~3 issue), especially since it seems to have no tie-ins.

From Wiki:

No tie-ins definitely helps. Although there was an announcement yesterday of an extra issue in the main series and a different artist being involved. I don't mind a change in artist do much when it's a different part of the story eg a flashback, different POV etc but it is a shame if one continuing story 

On 9/27/2018 at 9:55 AM, GallowKnight said:

Apparently Norm Breyfogle has passed away. Breyfogle is hands down my favourite Batman artist ever and his run with Alan Grant is by far my favourite run of Batman comics. So Rest In Peace.

I didn't really follow batman that regularly at the time but his style was synonymous with how I imagined batman in comic form at the time.

:( 

It's an overused word, but Ezquerra was a genius. A unique, distinctive style that was technically incredibly accomplished. It's a shame that he was never as famed or popular as some of his contemporaries on 2000AD like Bolland, Dillon, Davis - all of whom were also incredible artists, don't get me wrong, but Ezquerra was as good as any of them. Horror, action, comedy, drama, he could do it all wonderfully well. If you're not familiar with him, do yourself a favour and go find some of his art online. It's stunning. 

6 hours ago, mormont said:

:( 

It's an overused word, but Ezquerra was a genius. A unique, distinctive style that was technically incredibly accomplished. It's a shame that he was never as famed or popular as some of his contemporaries on 2000AD like Bolland, Dillon, Davis - all of whom were also incredible artists, don't get me wrong, but Ezquerra was as good as any of them. Horror, action, comedy, drama, he could do it all wonderfully well. If you're not familiar with him, do yourself a favour and go find some of his art online. It's stunning. 

This recent spate of artist deaths has been rough.  Ironically, just as the news of Breyfogles death was announced, I was hitting his run on the Hal Jordan Spectre series. 

Nothing quite so coincidental with Ezquerra. 

Of the two, Ezquerra was more MY artist.  His contributions to 2000 AD were amazing.  Mega City One would not be what it is without him.  His breakdowns and action sequences unparalleled.  His use of the broken line something beyond.

May he find peace and comfort in his Long Walk.  

I recently finished a series called Injustice 2. (Wiki description: It is set in an alternate reality where a Batman-led insurgency has defeated Superman's totalitarian regime and has to deal with the aftermath.) The writer Tom Taylor nicely handles an epic storyline. It's far better than anything else being published by DC nowadays.

On 9/25/2018 at 2:49 AM, red snow said:

No tie-ins definitely helps. Although there was an announcement yesterday of an extra issue in the main series and a different artist being involved. I don't mind a change in artist do much when it's a different part of the story eg a flashback, different POV etc but it is a shame if one continuing story 

Those were apparently originally intended as a part of the story but were going to be bookends instead of part of the main series numbering.  My take is that this is the superior format.

2 minutes ago, hauberk said:

Those were apparently originally intended as a part of the story but were going to be bookends instead of part of the main series numbering.  My take is that this is the superior format.

Hmm. So the trade as I read it was a bit like those anime films that condense 26 episodes into a 2 hour movie? I guess the format you're suggesting was how "spiderverse" was put together as a trade. It was massive but included all the tie-ins that were essential to the story. 

Maybe this will be the case with the hardcover heavy metal collection?

I'm enjoying no justice and the new justice League series. Snyder is throwing a lot of ideas around and many of them are utter nonsense to the point I can't tell whether it's a parody eg the ultraviolet emotional spectrum while semi mocking Geoff Johns original "emotional spectrum". It helps that the art is great with a strong cast of characters too.

But the fact I'm enjoying Snyder's justice League now does suggest the heavy metal storyline was too condensed in terms of the main series. That or he has broken me down with his storytelling approach!

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Hmm. So the trade as I read it was a bit like those anime films that condense 26 episodes into a 2 hour movie? I guess the format you're suggesting was how "spiderverse" was put together as a trade. It was massive but included all the tie-ins that were essential to the story. 

Maybe this will be the case with the hardcover heavy metal collection?

I'm enjoying no justice and the new justice League series. Snyder is throwing a lot of ideas around and many of them are utter nonsense to the point I can't tell whether it's a parody eg the ultraviolet emotional spectrum while semi mocking Geoff Johns original "emotional spectrum". It helps that the art is great with a strong cast of characters too.

But the fact I'm enjoying Snyder's justice League now does suggest the heavy metal storyline was too condensed in terms of the main series. That or he has broken me down with his storytelling approach!

I don't think that the Metal series is getting collected in this manner.  What I was saying is that there was going to be a Heroes in Crisis Prologue #1 (by whatever title), Heroes in Crisis 1-7 and then a Heroes in Crisis Aftermath #1( by whatever title).  The decision was made to instead issues the same books as Heroes in Crisis 1-9.  To me that is far better than Forge - Casting - Metal and then however the tie-ins should get woven in.  Same was true with Final Crisis... pretty unforgivable that Superman Beyond was a necessary part of the story and not included in the main arc.

8 hours ago, hauberk said:

I don't think that the Metal series is getting collected in this manner.  What I was saying is that there was going to be a Heroes in Crisis Prologue #1 (by whatever title), Heroes in Crisis 1-7 and then a Heroes in Crisis Aftermath #1( by whatever title).  The decision was made to instead issues the same books as Heroes in Crisis 1-9.  To me that is far better than Forge - Casting - Metal and then however the tie-ins should get woven in.  Same was true with Final Crisis... pretty unforgivable that Superman Beyond was a necessary part of the story and not included in the main arc.

So the key differences is self contained events Vs mega crossover event. I recall Final Crisis being hard to grasp which Morrison sometimes does but I also didn't read any tie-ins.

Heroes in crisis appears to be a self contained story. Two bookends are manageable and will probably be I. The trade.

6 hours ago, red snow said:

So the key differences is self contained events Vs mega crossover event. I recall Final Crisis being hard to grasp which Morrison sometimes does but I also didn't read any tie-ins.

Heroes in crisis appears to be a self contained story. Two bookends are manageable and will probably be I. The trade.

Final Crisis was especially impenetrable without knowing that Superman Beyond was really a part of the main story.  I have no idea how they traded it as I bought it in floppy.

Heroes in Crisis is absolutely self contained - the bookends were renumbered into the main title so that it's simply 1-9 and not 1 + 1-7 + 1.  So, they will definitely be included in the trade.

I'm up to date on justice League and I'm finding it a lot of fun (just what I need at moment) with a good stable of artists. Although I was struck by the change in paper quality that's occurred over the last couple of months from DC. It really punishes the colouring and I wonder whether the change in paper was done before the colourists were aware. It seems to be improving with more recent issues at least.

On 10/12/2018 at 8:13 AM, red snow said:

I'm up to date on justice League and I'm finding it a lot of fun (just what I need at moment) with a good stable of artists. Although I was struck by the change in paper quality that's occurred over the last couple of months from DC. It really punishes the colouring and I wonder whether the change in paper was done before the colourists were aware. It seems to be improving with more recent issues at least.

I just got my latest shipment and, if you're referring to the matte paper, I like it quite a bit more than the glossy stock that they were using.  Far less glare on the page.  I'm also pretty tactile so the tooth of the paper is a nice bonus to me.  

15 hours ago, hauberk said:

I just got my latest shipment and, if you're referring to the matte paper, I like it quite a bit more than the glossy stock that they were using.  Far less glare on the page.  I'm also pretty tactile so the tooth of the paper is a nice bonus to me.  

That's the one. I can only judge it off justice League and hawkman but the colours didn't work as well for me. I think it's a matter of the colourists knowing what type of paper the art will be printed on. 

3 hours ago, red snow said:

That's the one. I can only judge it off justice League and hawkman but the colours didn't work as well for me. I think it's a matter of the colourists knowing what type of paper the art will be printed on. 

Looked great on The Dreaming.  

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:16 PM, hauberk said:

Looked great on The Dreaming.  

I've still got those in my to-read pile. It might be interesting to make a note of the colorists when I'm judging too.

The colourist interviews in the DC nation 4+5 magazine have been really informative and are well worth checking out.

Archived