Comics XIII

Calibandar

I just found out that DC is starting a book for Batman Who Laughs.  Ugh, I just don't understand the popularity of this character.  When I look at this character, I just see ridiculousness, not horror.  How can he see with that stupid dog collar over his eyes?  Does anyone like that character?  If so, why?

13 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

I just found out that DC is starting a book for Batman Who Laughs.  Ugh, I just don't understand the popularity of this character.  When I look at this character, I just see ridiculousness, not horror.  How can he see with that stupid dog collar over his eyes?  Does anyone like that character?  If so, why?

I'm with you.  The character concept could be interesting, and, I think was for the Metal event.  However, I completely agree on the character design.

23 hours ago, hauberk said:

I'm with you.  The character concept could be interesting, and, I think was for the Metal event.  However, I completely agree on the character design.

He's definitely been shoved down our throats in a "the Inhumans are a great X-Men replacement" kind of way. They even claimed in the DC nation magazine that he's the single biggest threat to DC universe. He just feels like judge death in design and he comes off too much as joker in a different suit than Bruce Wayne gone mad. But my dislike of heavy metal event is well documented here. Maybe the people who loved that series loved that character?

Read the first two issues of "heroes in crisis". I like the art and the story is ok but I'm clearly getting too jaded with superhero comics. Batman lying about having kryptonite for what feel like at least the third time I've witnessed. Booster gold as the potential villain and the fear Skeets is evil again. And superman being a bit stupid in revealing his identity on a video recording when all the other interviews were of heroes in their costumes but for some reason superman turns up as Clark? Seems a bit contrived. I also completely missed poison ivy as a victim in issue one.

It's also not really clear to me what the sanctuary actually does. The story seems more interested in the murder than the actual therapy setting which feels a little like false billing based on the build up.

I suspect neither booster or Harley are to blame. Or at least not the "present" booster - I could see the twist possibly being they are inadvertently creating the "future" booster who may indeed go back and commit the crime. The mystery and art is what will keep me coming back for now. That and it does feel self-contained

9 hours ago, red snow said:

He's definitely been shoved down our throats in a "the Inhumans are a great X-Men replacement" kind of way. They even claimed in the DC nation magazine that he's the single biggest threat to DC universe. He just feels like judge death in design and he comes off too much as joker in a different suit than Bruce Wayne gone mad. But my dislike of heavy metal event is well documented here. Maybe the people who loved that series loved that character?

Read the first two issues of "heroes in crisis". I like the art and the story is ok but I'm clearly getting too jaded with superhero comics. Batman lying about having kryptonite for what feel like at least the third time I've witnessed. Booster gold as the potential villain and the fear Skeets is evil again. And superman being a bit stupid in revealing his identity on a video recording when all the other interviews were of heroes in their costumes but for some reason superman turns up as Clark? Seems a bit contrived. I also completely missed poison ivy as a victim in issue one.

It's also not really clear to me what the sanctuary actually does. The story seems more interested in the murder than the actual therapy setting which feels a little like false billing based on the build up.

I suspect neither booster or Harley are to blame. Or at least not the "present" booster - I could see the twist possibly being they are inadvertently creating the "future" booster who may indeed go back and commit the crime. The mystery and art is what will keep me coming back for now. That and it does feel self-contained

The Judge Death thing is a great pick-up!  I knew that he was reminding me of something but I was going more Hellrazor Centobyte.  

I've only read the first issue of HiC so far.  I get my books shipped once a month so they won't be here for another week.  Completely agree that it's a very pretty book.  

6 hours ago, hauberk said:

The Judge Death thing is a great pick-up!  I knew that he was reminding me of something but I was going more Hellrazor Centobyte.  

I've only read the first issue of HiC so far.  I get my books shipped once a month so they won't be here for another week.  Completely agree that it's a very pretty book.  

Hope I didn't spoil anything? News outlets usually do before the event comics come out but I can spoiler tag HiC ones if you want?

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, time finally caught up on Stan Lee and he passed away. Sounds as though he had a rough time of it since he lost his wife in 2017 so hope he passed peacefully.

What a legacy though. Most people would be content creating Fantastic Four, Spider-man, Thor, Iron Man, The avengers, the X-men or Daredevil but this guy co-created them all (along with Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko) and essentially the marvel universe. It would be like one person creating all the DC characters. It's great he lived to see his creations become cultural phenomenons and kings of the box office. Beyond his role in creating these characters he was also a life-long ambassador for comics appearing pretty much everywhere and lending his voice as narrator to so many of the marvel cartoons I watched as a kid.

If people live on through their creations, Stan will be around for a long time to come.

10 hours ago, red snow said:

Damn, time finally caught up on Stan Lee and he passed away. Sounds as though he had a rough time of it since he lost his wife in 2017 so hope he passed peacefully.

What a legacy though. Most people would be content creating Fantastic Four, Spider-man, Thor, Iron Man, The avengers, the X-men or Daredevil but this guy co-created them all (along with Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko) and essentially the marvel universe. It would be like one person creating all the DC characters. It's great he lived to see his creations become cultural phenomenons and kings of the box office. Beyond his role in creating these characters he was also a life-long ambassador for comics appearing pretty much everywhere and lending his voice as narrator to so many of the marvel cartoons I watched as a kid.

If people live on through their creations, Stan will be around for a long time to come.

QfT 

Probably the best balanced column I've read on Stan Lee's legacy, from a few years ago but still valid:

http://comicsalliance.com/stan-lee-legacy-jack-kirby-steve-ditko-marvel-history/

There are few people where you can say 'there'll never be another like him' but Stan Lee is one. I'm glad for everything he gave us. 

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know how many of you here have a "local comic shop" but I've had one since i was a kid and was shocked/upset to find the owner had died in between visits (i only get to visit the store every 3+ months as have lived away from home town for 20 years. He was a real professional who put his heart into the job and was always happy to chat about comics with me and give honest recommendations (and often talked me out of purchases). I certainly wouldn't be reading comics now (or at least have as long a history with them) if he hadn't had the only shop in the county selling US imports and encoraged my habit.

Living several hours away from the shop the main reason to maintain a pull-list was out of customer loyalty and enjoying catching up with him. Comics really won't be the same without getting to shoot the breeze with him when visiting the store. I know things are moving into a digital and chain-store era with comics but that one-to-one brick and mortar store was actually a key part of my enjoyment in the medium. A real champion of the cause and nice to see he was known and respected within the industy by the likes of bryan hitch and simon furman who thanked him for his friendship and support when they lived in the area. He certainly made an impact on me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2018 at 10:54 PM, Sci-2 said:

Finished Mr. Miracle...what a great run.

IMO one of the best books to come out in years.

Based on this recommendation I read all 12 issues the last week.

On the one hand, I was captivated and kept on reading.

On the other, I kept being so confused about what is going on with his mental state.

Is he depressed, suicidal, really weird.

• 4 weeks later...

What were your comic book favorites this year?  I know Mr. Miracle probably got the most buzz, but my favorite was Batman #51~53.  I can't remember the name of the storyarc, but basically it was Bruce Wayne on jury duty.

7 minutes ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

What were your comic book favorites this year?  I know Mr. Miracle probably got the most buzz, but my favorite was Batman #51~53.  I can't remember the name of the storyarc, but basically it was Bruce Wayne on jury duty.

Saga is probably still my favorite year after year. Even if BKV lives to make his readers sad. 

Seven To Eternity continues to be the best book nobody seems to talk about, imo. Probably my favorite Remender title atm, even over Deadly Class. Jerome Opena’s art is gorgeous in this one. 

Gideon Falls is my favorite new book of the year. Horror comic by Jeff Lemire (his family drama series Royal City was really good too). 

East of West is always up there too. Only one more arc to go. 

On 1/1/2019 at 1:55 AM, Teng Ai Hui said:

That arc was quite good.  

Others would be:

Black Science - the book has been spectacular from the beginning.

The 2 issue return of Lazarus - Jonah's story was excellent

Archived