Comics XIII

Calibandar

It seems lazy to say Saga but the last 6 issues were great. And it's the only comic i read ASAP. At least it can't be my book of 2019.

I'm enjoying Snyder's justice leave despite hating his heavy metal series.

House of whispers has me hooked but i'm flagging with the other sandman books. Thankfully they are stand alone.

I really need to catch up on all of remender's image books and East of West as I decided to switch to trades only to find myself not buying them either. Lazarus's weird schedule has caused me to lose interest but now it seems to have the new format i'll try and catch up. It's been too ling since i read any "southern bastards" either.

Walking dead has picked up a little in trade format .

I'll be buying mr miracle once the trades are out. The Vision is one of my favourite comics of the last 5 years and eaaily my favourite Marvel comic in a long time. Wanted to read it in one go though.

I've noticed the immortal hulk getting a lot of rave reviews in end if year lists online. Does anyone know if it's genuinely good? Also Donny Cates must be talented/good at promotion as there seems to be a lot of love for him even if his marvel titles don't have me even wanting to try them 

On 1/9/2019 at 8:34 PM, Kalbear said:

Humble bundle is having a deal on Deadly Class for $15 for all the comics

Nice timing with the show about to come out too.

I got mixed up with my rating of the new sandman series. It's "the dreaming" which i'm enjoying. I might also get another issue of lucifer before throwing the towel in.

The $4/$5 comic standard with value of sterling has been really noticeable for my wallet of late. I really need to switch fully to digital and graphic novels. 

I'm scratching my head at DC and Bendis claiming to reach out to young readers with their young justice line of books. At $4 for (according to reviews) half a story I'm not sure this is going to win over anyone but rich kids or kids who steal online. I just hope the digital versions are at a price kids can buy with their pocket money. It sort of feels like this should be the line of comics sold in supermarkets rather than the one currently being sold. As it is i suspect this new line of comics is only really going to be read by older comic readers which sort of misses the point

12 hours ago, Knight of Ashes said:

Just finished Justice League's The Totality volume 1. 

Any collection that has Batsy saying "I'm inside Clark's body" as merely a very minor highlight has to be very good and it is.

Yeah it's tongue in cheek fun. I mean they bloe up the moon and no-one seems that fussed. Then they have superman punch it back together. There's an old school playfulness with the concept.

10 hours ago, red snow said:

Then they have superman punch it back together. 

I actually  missed that part :mellow:

I also liked that the TRINITY was sidelined in favor of J'onn, John Stewart, Flash, and Hawkgirl.  It reminded me of Morrison's epicness (particularly that bit of Luthor going to the end of time or whenever) without being reminded of how awesome Batgod is.

Eta:

And I'm not sure whether that bit where Diana had to give Barry a pep talk had anything to do with the tv show.  (Though JL Flash had more valid reasons to be shaken.)

23 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Picked up the 1st issue on the new Criminal. It’s really good. Apparently Brubaker and Phillips were going to do another story set in The Fade Out universe, but decided to return to Criminal instead. Glad they did. 

It's so long since I read criminal I can't really remember any of it. easily 9 years since I read it. Do they at least cut us some slack and feature a stand alone story? 

2 hours ago, red snow said:

It's so long since I read criminal I can't really remember any of it. easily 9 years since I read it. Do they at least cut us some slack and feature a stand alone story? 

Brubaker literally mentions in the back of the issue he wants people to be able to jump right in on this one. It’s obviously connected to the old stuff though. There’s s little rundown of all the previous volumes at the end, too, that might help refresh your memory. 

Issue #10 of Gideon Falls was pretty amazing. I mostly read this book for Lemire, but Andrea Sorrentino’s art was really something in this one. Some of the coolest panels I’ve seen in a long time. Anyone that’s even slightly into horror comics should give this title a try. 

On 1/25/2019 at 3:52 PM, Teng Ai Hui said:

Speaking of Lemire, I finally made time to finish the last 2 volumes of Descender.  Now I'm anxious for the sequel series Ascender to start in April.

So many people have told me how much they live this series. I read the first issue, loved the art as have been a fan of the artist for a ling time but it was pretty clear this was a long form story that was going to frustrate me on a monthly setting. Need to try the trades along with getting back up to speed with remender's work, east of west and southern bastards. Tbh i could probably just spend the year doing this than keeping up with monthlies. Justice League is probably the only super hero comic I'm enjoying. Still enjoying "the dreaming" and "lucifer" as good art/writing combos.

Has anyone read "the wildstorm". Another series i started but gave up on as a monthly largely because Ellis is the master of decompressed storytelling (yet was weirdly the opposite when writing the original storm watch) and also because I can't shake the idea that Ellis is notorious for schedules and not finishing projects (although he seems to have passed that phase). I saw that he is bringing the authority characters into the story now. Is this series in a DC universe or is this more like a genuine separate imprint?

New Wild Storm is probably mappable to a world on the giant Map of the Multiverse--there was a particular gimmick I did not like in the Michael Cray mini that reflected that--but I don't think it's heading for a mainline crossover any time soon, and Ellis is focusing on WS characters.

4 hours ago, Little Valkyrie said:

New Wild Storm is probably mappable to a world on the giant Map of the Multiverse--there was a particular gimmick I did not like in the Michael Cray mini that reflected that--but I don't think it's heading for a mainline crossover any time soon, and Ellis is focusing on WS characters.

So the mini series are worth checking too? 

I think I'd probably be all over a regular stormwatch or authority again.

5 hours ago, Little Valkyrie said:

I didn't like Michael Cray but if there's a Zealot mini I'd be all over it like woah

I think I'd be the same if the authority characters were turning up again in Ellis's hands which seems to be the case. It's just odd when the "real" midnighter is in limbo within the DC universe. Still never got round to reading his solo series but it was the team aspect i enjoyed of a bunch of super powered folk having the ego to change the world the way they wanted and how that was dubious even with good intentions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The rumour that Hickman might be doing an Eternals comic is interesting. It kind of fits given it's going to be a phase 4 film and Marvel have a track record of pumping out some trade collections in advance. It's just with Hickman involved it might actually be good. LEt's just hope they don't ram it down everyone's throats and try to make them X-men substitutes like they did with Inhumans

I've been working my way through the "Mr miracle" collection. It's no "Vision" even if the characters look similar. I also find the constant 9 grid storytelling rather monotonous - although it's better when they do clever things with it eg split a one page spread into 9 panels or use it to show a fight sequence/movement. But most of the time it's just a grind. I also get the impression this is an elseworld's tale - not that it matters too much. I'm also not super familiar with Mr Miracle, Barda or Orion but they feel very different to where I've seen them before as if King is just writing characters that suit his story but may not reflect those characters (if that makes any sense?). I do quite like the characters he's depicting and I guess there are multiple versions of how to portray a character. It's not like Batman has a consistent portrayal

On 2/23/2019 at 9:36 AM, Teng Ai Hui said:

The ads on the left are promoting a new graphic novel called Starport.  The premise sounds interesting.  I'll get it when it comes out.

Is this a one-off project, or does GRRM have plans to make more?

just bought this from amazon.  the artist has also adapted meathouse man a few years back.  

Archived