Comics XIII

Calibandar

On 2/2/2019 at 4:54 AM, red snow said:

So many people have told me how much they live this series. I read the first issue, loved the art as have been a fan of the artist for a ling time but it was pretty clear this was a long form story that was going to frustrate me on a monthly setting. Need to try the trades along with getting back up to speed with remender's work, east of west and southern bastards. Tbh i could probably just spend the year doing this than keeping up with monthlies. Justice League is probably the only super hero comic I'm enjoying. Still enjoying "the dreaming" and "lucifer" as good art/writing combos.

Has anyone read "the wildstorm". Another series i started but gave up on as a monthly largely because Ellis is the master of decompressed storytelling (yet was weirdly the opposite when writing the original storm watch) and also because I can't shake the idea that Ellis is notorious for schedules and not finishing projects (although he seems to have passed that phase). I saw that he is bringing the authority characters into the story now. Is this series in a DC universe or is this more like a genuine separate imprint?

warren is my favorite creator and you are totally right about his need to lay groundwork and then move on.  i've read most of the wildstorm stuff and its good.  i still lament fell, which he did give up on, once, for a fairly decent reason...the same reason for desolation jones if i'm not wrong.  

looking back on the first couple of decades from image and his shit was the best.  his novels are also not bad...at all.

7 hours ago, D_P said:

warren is my favorite creator and you are totally right about his need to lay groundwork and then move on.  i've read most of the wildstorm stuff and its good.  i still lament fell, which he did give up on, once, for a fairly decent reason...the same reason for desolation jones if i'm not wrong.  

looking back on the first couple of decades from image and his shit was the best.  his novels are also not bad...at all.

I've read one of his books "crooked little vein" maybe? It was good fun.

I think marvel once tried tapping into Ellis' ideas but little follow through tendencies in the early 2000s when he curated 4 X-men books. This should have worked on paper but the only one i can remember was X-man which was a major overhaul but appears to be the version they are currey using for an "event".

But i genuinely think he could make a great comic editor where he comes up with the ideas and lets others execute them. It's just a question of whether others can execute as well. 

Big fan of Ellis as well. Such a fertile imagination. Also, he can be funny as heck, as this classic proves. I actually attended a virtual book signing event in Second Life when he was promoting Crooked Little Vein. Think I still have my virtual signed copy in my inventory somewhere....

I never got into The Authority, but I adore Planetary. That or TransMetropolitan would be my favorite works. 

12 hours ago, Ran said:

Big fan of Ellis as well. Such a fertile imagination. Also, he can be funny as heck, as this classic proves. I actually attended a virtual book signing event in Second Life when he was promoting Crooked Little Vein. Think I still have my virtual signed copy in my inventory somewhere....

I never got into The Authority, but I adore Planetary. That or TransMetropolitan would be my favorite works. 

He is surprisingly versatile with his range of styles - I think Jason Aaron's the only other comic author I can think of who has a similar range. Hickman and Remender have great hit rates but I always feel like I know exactly what to expect with them (and that's fine).

I've heard Ellis has done a great job with Castlevania (haven't seen all of season 2 yet) and I wonder whether this might be where his future lies? Being able to do mature cartoons on Netflix seems perfect for his ideas. It also probably locks him into hitting his deadlines too. 

16 hours ago, Ran said:

The Authority staryed strong and then fell off, in my opinion.

Still need to read TransMet actually

Planetary is possibly the greatest deconstruction of comics and genre that's ever been.  Would that it hadn't ended...

19 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

The Authority staryed strong and then fell off, in my opinion.

Still need to read TransMet actually

Planetary is possibly the greatest deconstruction of comics and genre that's ever been.  Would that it hadn't ended...

Would that it hadn't taken 2+ years to end unless ellis and cassaday were being inadvertently meta about how schedules have become much more erratic over the years. I loved the first two volumes but honestly lost interest due to the delays.

I think stormwatch is better than authority as it's interesting to see Ellis evolve that series into (what became a genre/style) wide-screen comics action.

Finished Mr Miracle, it's not in the same league as Vision but the last two issues definitely made me look back on tbe whole story and has left me thinking about it for a whole lot longer than any "event" comic series has.

i quite like the idea that everything may be from the point of view of his suicide as it makes everything so bittersweet. Big barda is wonderful but is she "real" and is his wife in the real world ok? There seems to be some debate as to whether he's in heaven or hell (actually discussed in the comic) whereas i think he's in purgatory as he gets to experience heaven in his content but mundane homelife and hell in his constant warmaking with apokololips. Like the comic concludes, he can escape whenever he decides to.

My other meta interpretation is that he isn't dead at all and has actually escaped the DC universe which is why he can actually experience things on a more "real" way with less inteference editorially and escaping continuity restrictions. I think i commented on how i wasn't convit the characters were truly reflective of their traditional takes but this actually explains it to some extent.

I really hope DC don't use mr miracle and big barda in any of their regular comics as it will burst this maxi series in some ways. They should at least allow king to write them if they do appear.

The artwork is hard to fault as i don't think it's his decision to stick to 9 panel grids throughout although tbe payoff double page spread in issue 11 is almost a worthy pay-off.

I hope king continues to do these more intimate miniseries with lesser known characters as i think it's where his strength lies. I think the rumour was Adam Strange might be his next target. It'll be interesting to see how he grounds that character into some semblance of domestic life like he has with Vision and Mr miracle

8 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Hickman is back at Marvel, writing X-men. Maybe they'll finally be entertaining after many years.

Definitely sounds intriguing...

Marvel Editor-in-Chief C.B. Cebulski said that Hickman's X-Men would mark a new milestone for the team in the vein of Giant-Sized X-Men #1, Lee and Claremont's X-Men #1Age of Apocalypse, and Grant Morrison's X-Men, calling the titles "something totally different" for the franchise. 

On 3/23/2019 at 10:41 PM, Winterfell is Burning said:

Hickman is back at Marvel, writing X-men. Maybe they'll finally be entertaining after many years.

It can't get any worse than it currently is. I'm really curious about this and will be checking the series out - at least until I discover Marvel is charging $8 an issue at which point I'll wait 3 months and buy the trades. Also odd how the regular series will continue alongside. Maybe they'll hand the main books over to Hickman once they know the reception for his maxi series.

Speaking of expensive comics Lazarus starts its new format at $8 for 44 pages of story and 20 pages of other stuff. Lazarus other stuff is usually quite good and logically this format is the equivalent of 2 issues in price and material yet for some reason it just highlights to me that I'll be better buying the trade for $2 more which will have 6 issues of story. 

16 hours ago, red snow said:

It can't get any worse than it currently is. I'm really curious about this and will be checking the series out - at least until I discover Marvel is charging $8 an issue at which point I'll wait 3 months and buy the trades. Also odd how the regular series will continue alongside. Maybe they'll hand the main books over to Hickman once they know the reception for his maxi series.

Speaking of expensive comics Lazarus starts its new format at $8 for 44 pages of story and 20 pages of other stuff. Lazarus other stuff is usually quite good and logically this format is the equivalent of 2 issues in price and material yet for some reason it just highlights to me that I'll be better buying the trade for $2 more which will have 6 issues of story. 

it is marketing degrees.  which has absolutely fuck all to do with telling a coherent story.  i'm just glad to be old enough to be meta without it needing a term.

On 3/23/2019 at 11:41 PM, Winterfell is Burning said:

Gawds, I hope so. I've been an X-men fan since the 90s, but their stories just haven't gone anywhere in years.

1 hour ago, Red Tiger said:

Gawds, I hope so. I've been an X-men fan since the 90s, but their stories just haven't gone anywhere in years.

I'd be happy for the X-men to be good again. Hickman is a good choice at trying to give the franchise a kick. Probably biggest change since Morrison. There have been other decent teams since Morrison but none of them have left a mark on the books besides making Cyclops one of the best characters. Although i think that was possibly driven editorially and accidentally in the sense they wanted him to come across as villainous.

I get the feeling Hickman's books are going to be a "secret history" type of thing. If lucky it might make some coherent sense or in a worsr case scenario it'll add more complexity to an already overly complicated timeline.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

I'd be happy for the X-men to be good again. Hickman is a good choice at trying to give the franchise a kick. Probably biggest change since Morrison. There have been other decent teams since Morrison but none of them have left a mark on the books besides making Cyclops one of the best characters. Although i think that was possibly driven editorially and accidentally in the sense they wanted him to come across as villainous.

I get the feeling Hickman's books are going to be a "secret history" type of thing. If lucky it might make some coherent sense or in a worsr case scenario it'll add more complexity to an already overly complicated timeline.

Hickman's a methodical guy, as long as Marvel is patient with him he can do for X-men what he did for Fantastic Four.

On another note, Wicked + Divine is ending soon. Good series, but im glad it's ending while it's still good.

7 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

The problem was editorial driving the stories for years because they wanted to make Avengers/Inhumans look good, and after that ended the books were directionless because the most important and/or interesting characters were dead or in limbo (Cyclops, Wolverine, Emma, Xavier) or simply ruined beyond recognition (Beast, Kitty).

12 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

Hickman's a methodical guy, as long as Marvel is patient with him he can do for X-men what he did for Fantastic Four.

On another note, Wicked + Divine is ending soon. Good series, but im glad it's ending while it's still good.

He's currently got 12 issues so hopefully this is a backdoor to him doing a long run afterwards. It's not like marvel have any issues relaunching within a year of their last line relaunch.

13 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

Same with East of West and Black Science. Between those three ending, and Lazarus being quarterly now, my pull list will be getting smaller.

Looking forward to Ascender starting up this month though. 

8 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Same with East of West and Black Science. Between those three ending, and Lazarus being quarterly now, my pull list will be getting smaller.

Looking forward to Ascender starting up this month though. 

And no Saga for the foreseeable future. I'll try and time catching up with East of West and Black Science with the release of their final volumes as haven't read either for over a year.

I've got a nice signed postcard edition of descender to read. Always been a fan of dustin Nguyen from his authority/wildcats days and he's always been reliable on batbooks

20 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

The problem was editorial driving the stories for years because they wanted to make Avengers/Inhumans look good, and after that ended the books were directionless because the most important and/or interesting characters were dead or in limbo (Cyclops, Wolverine, Emma, Xavier) or simply ruined beyond recognition (Beast, Kitty).

Emissary of the Murray, I have followed Kitty Pryde's disastrous character assassination, but I haven't heard much  about Beast. Could you elaborate as to what happened to him?

6 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Emissary of the Murray, I have followed Kitty Pryde's disastrous character assassination, but I haven't heard much  about Beast. Could you elaborate as to what happened to him?

They turned him into a chimp instead of a cat. So much for Morrison's idea of beast devolving (was a silly notion too). Worse they turned him into a psychopath who had such a passionate hatred for Cyclops that he threatened the timeline and kidnapped young cyclops so that he could tell him his older self would become a genocidal maniac. Which Cyclops has never done (so far).

It was insane the lengths they went to to show beast trying to destroy cyclops at every opportunity.

Archived