Comics XIII

Calibandar

5 hours ago, red snow said:

They turned him into a chimp instead of a cat. So much for Morrison's idea of beast devolving (was a silly notion too). Worse they turned him into a psychopath who had such a passionate hatred for Cyclops that he threatened the timeline and kidnapped young cyclops so that he could tell him his older self would become a genocidal maniac. Which Cyclops has never done (so far).

It was insane the lengths they went to to show beast trying to destroy cyclops at every opportunity.

Even worse was the fact that he did that while in NA he was working with the Illuminati and wonderful people like Maximus the Mad, mind-wiping Captain America, etc.

There's also the fact that he whine about Cyclops establishing a X-force team, but had no problem with Wolverine doing the same, even continuing after Cyclops tried to shut down the team.

3 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Even worse was the fact that he did that while in NA he was working with the Illuminati and wonderful people like Maximus the Mad, mind-wiping Captain America, etc.

There's also the fact that he whine about Cyclops establishing a X-force team, but had no problem with Wolverine doing the same, even continuing after Cyclops tried to shut down the team.

I forgot he supported another x-force team that was a kill squad.

The guy is a very dangerous hypocrite. Did Bendis establish it was because he also loved Jean Grey (who doesn't, it seems to be her power) so all this cyclops hate was down to that?

On 4/2/2019 at 3:23 AM, red snow said:

I forgot he supported another x-force team that was a kill squad.

The guy is a very dangerous hypocrite. Did Bendis establish it was because he also loved Jean Grey (who doesn't, it seems to be her power) so all this cyclops hate was down to that?

Pretty much every straight X-man had a crush on Jean at some point (then again, if you had a teammate that looked like Sophie Turner or Famke Janssen, it wouldn't be so shocking), but I'm not sure that's a reason, even because they were best friends for a long time. Or maybe Bendis did establish that, but his run was so bad and the theory so ridiculous no one paid attention.

Did the young x-men ever go back in time? The idea that they could be allowed to run amok even if their deaths would destroy Time itself...ridiculous.

Didn't know the Hickman issues are $8 a pop...gonna have to really think about those.

I have way too many unread comics, but doing Hickman rereads at the moment. FF was first, now Avengers Vol 1 & 2...I disliked Secret Wars but may go back as a couple people at my local shop really liked them...

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2019 at 9:34 PM, Winterfell is Burning said:

Eventually they did.

At this point it feels like comic X-Men could do with a Disney style restart. I'm really hoping Hickman's run streamlines the franchise and builds it back up again. Still no word on whether they'll hand the main books over to Hickman after his mini series are done. I guess they are waiting to guage orders/response but it's the kind of thing that would get me trying the books again. Does Hickman have any go to collaborators? A bit like snyder and tynion, rucka and brubaker? I think my dream team in terms of getting me reading several x-books would be hickman on uncanny/x-men and Remender on X-force or ancillary X-team. Give Ellis one book to do whatever he likes too.

Or do something really crazy and convince brian k Vaughan to do an x-book. Saga has shown he has soap opera down which used to be a core component of the x-books. I'm just not sure marvel would give him the freedom to do so and his ultimate x-men run was forgetable. Him doing new mutants or a core book would definitely draw people in.

On a separate note, i finished vol 31 of walking dead. The series is clearly in one of its lulls as they drag out the slow revelation that the new group is rotten. Even the characters admitted it saying they are just preparing for the next war. What Rick did to Dwight was contrived. I'm not even sure such a move wouldn't have resulted in someone else's death. There were obviously better ways to diffuse the situation.

On 4/20/2019 at 6:14 AM, red snow said:

At this point it feels like comic X-Men could do with a Disney style restart. I'm really hoping Hickman's run streamlines the franchise and builds it back up again. Still no word on whether they'll hand the main books over to Hickman after his mini series are done.

Solicits indicate all the X-men books are ending in July, so Hickman likely will get at least one, possibly two.

7 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Solicits indicate all the X-men books are ending in July, so Hickman likely will get at least one, possibly two.

Seems promising. So the main line is cancelled while we get the specials and then we get a seasonal relaunch with Hickman likely in charge? 

$6 an issue is going to be a problem for me. If the 40 pages are story then that's palatable but it's rare that's the case and it's usually filler. I guess in the case of Hickman it'll be 10 pages of diagrams with a quote attached. Both series are biweekly so it's €6 a week for 3 months. I can probably trade wait this and save money for other comics. I hope younger readers are all getting by on marvel unlimited subscriptions as i don't see how people without a decent disposable income manage this hobby. 

8 hours ago, red snow said:

Seems promising. So the main line is cancelled while we get the specials and then we get a seasonal relaunch with Hickman likely in charge? 

$6 an issue is going to be a problem for me. If the 40 pages are story then that's palatable but it's rare that's the case and it's usually filler. I guess in the case of Hickman it'll be 10 pages of diagrams with a quote attached. Both series are biweekly so it's €6 a week for 3 months. I can probably trade wait this and save money for other comics. I hope younger readers are all getting by on marvel unlimited subscriptions as i don't see how people without a decent disposable income manage this hobby. 

neither do i.  its ridiculous. its just going to push ppl to pirate.

4 hours ago, D_P said:

neither do i.  its ridiculous. its just going to push ppl to pirate.

Two comics or Netflix for a month. There's not much competition.

Same with piracy, marvel and dc should do same day release for Digital. But they always hide behind the claim they need to protect comic stores. I don't think the two things are really in competition except with regards to price. And charging $6 for a weekly comic is not helping comic stores in the long run.

Free comic book day is a bit of a joke if newcomers are then discovering how expensive the hobby is for the rest of the year.

Ascender finally arrived. I’m happy to get to return to that setting. The artwork* was the main feature this time, while the storyline was a basic fantasy starting point (a poor countryside kid hero and an evil magician that needs to be defeated).

space dragons and sky turtles, oh my

On 4/25/2019 at 12:19 PM, Teng Ai Hui said:

Ascender finally arrived. I’m happy to get to return to that setting. The artwork* was the main feature this time, while the storyline was a basic fantasy starting point (a poor countryside kid hero and an evil magician that needs to be defeated).

Hide contents

space dragons and sky turtles, oh my

Is this a genuine sequel to descender or us it simply a creative sequel by the writer/artist? I thought descender was about a robot kid in space whereas this seems to be a fantasy setting. If the answer is spoilery then I'll settle for a "it's a genuine sequel, read descender and find out"

@red snow I don't think you would label this a "genuine sequel."  Even though the universe is the same, the landscape within the universe is vastly different.  Plus, there has been a time jump of about 15 years.  Also, only 1 character from Descender made an appearance in Ascender #1, and none of the storyarcs were revisited.

5 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

@red snow I don't think you would label this a "genuine sequel."  Even though the universe is the same, the landscape within the universe is vastly different.  Plus, there has been a time jump of about 15 years.  Also, only 1 character from Descender made an appearance in Ascender #1, and none of the storyarcs were revisited.

Thanks for the non spoilery clarification. It actually has me intrigued. Need to start the first trade sitting in my to read pile

• 2 weeks later...

Did you see all those marvel creator announcements? I suspect they are all gimmicky oneshots that will cost $8+ but if these were all somehow ongoing series then it'd probably lead to me reading substantially more marvel comics. 

On 5/8/2019 at 1:00 AM, Winterfell is Burning said:

Aaron's first arc is among the best things ever made in comics, but it goes downhill after that. Dropped it right after, or around the time of that Titania/Absorbing Man issue, which is among the worst I ever read.

Probably going back a few years to find Aaron's first arc on Thor. Keep meaning to check it out and it sounds beyond costing a fortune that war of realms is pretty good

Archived