Comics XIII

Calibandar

So, I’m new to all this comic business. Fancied getting into Marvel comics, and had a look at some popular runs ... there was secret wars, which kept coming up as a possibility for Phase 4 of the MCU, but one glance at the synopsis made me glaze over. It’s exactly what’s put me off comics all these years - a confusing mesh of multiverses all intertwined in some impenetrable way, not very inviting for newcomers.

What I could use is some kind of jumping on point, a new beginning, a ‘fresh start’ if you will. Well look at that! Marvel just started something by that very name. So I’ve got Marvel Unlimited and started with Avengers #1. So far, so good. I was planning on making my through chronologically, trying out the various #1’s and seeing how I got on.

What I don’t quite follow is how one is supposed to read the various runs. Should I read Avengers 1-7 (all that’s available on MU at the moment), then move on to another series? Or is release order the way to go? Going chronologically, Venom #1 and then Black Panther #1 come afterward. Except I can’t help but notice that Black Panther is in Avengers #1 and #2 ... does he pause briefly to tend to his own story, or is chronology not really a thing with individual comics? I was really hoping it was, so you could read along with the whole universe at once.

Any tips?

2 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

So, I’m new to all this comic business. Fancied getting into Marvel comics, and had a look at some popular runs ... there was secret wars, which kept coming up as a possibility for Phase 4 of the MCU, but one glance at the synopsis made me glaze over. It’s exactly what’s put me off comics all these years - a confusing mesh of multiverses all intertwined in some impenetrable way, not very inviting for newcomers.

What I could use is some kind of jumping on point, a new beginning, a ‘fresh start’ if you will. Well look at that! Marvel just started something by that very name. So I’ve got Marvel Unlimited and started with Avengers #1. So far, so good. I was planning on making my through chronologically, trying out the various #1’s and seeing how I got on.

What I don’t quite follow is how one is supposed to read the various runs. Should I read Avengers 1-7 (all that’s available on MU at the moment), then move on to another series? Or is release order the way to go? Going chronologically, Venom #1 and then Black Panther #1 come afterward. Except I can’t help but notice that Black Panther is in Avengers #1 and #2 ... does he pause briefly to tend to his own story, or is chronology not really a thing with individual comics? I was really hoping it was, so you could read along with the whole universe at once.

Any tips?

Well, first of all, there's many Avengers volumes, I'm assuming you're referring the most recent one, that has BP, Strange, Ghost Rider, etc. But anyway, while I'm not currently reading it or Black Panther's solo,  usually these days writers just ignore the stories of the others, unless it's absolutely indispensable, which then they'll make a reference, or you might have a costume change all the sudden.

By contrast, Secret Wars is actually pretty good because you can read it without knowing much beforehand, and the whole alternate worlds thing is not as confusing as you would think, it's well explained there, Although you would be much better served if you read Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four/Future Foundation and Avengers/New Avengers runs beforehand.

On 5/13/2019 at 4:58 PM, DaveSumm said:

Any tips?

You can’t really read along with the marvel universe, like WiB says each series will only make reference to events from outside their own story if it’s really essential and even then they often just don’t do it.  Usually the shared universe just means different characters turn up in each other’s books but there’s no coherent overall story except in very broad terms.  So Black Panther can quite happily be with the Avengers in NYC and also in Wakanda in his own book which may or may not be happening at the same time.

You’re right though that #1s are a good jumping on point.  Marvel do a lot of them so it’s pretty easy to find a place to start.  As far as the Avengers go, Mark Waid did a run before Aaron, Hickman did a much acclaimed run before that, Brian Bendis helmed it for a while, his stuff is very easy to read.  Or you could just pick and choose the best storylines from the original volume, Korvacs saga, Kree Skrull war, Ultron, Avengers Forever, Infinity, Disassembled, all that.  That’d be my recommendation.

It's just deciding which number 1 to start from!

Trying marvel unlimited (sort of marvel Netflix with comics) is probably a good way to jump in as you can easily find tie-ins etc. There's loads of useful reading guides online for reading order of events too. Marvel unlimited is not so useful if you want to follow up to date books.

Generally I'd say the safest way to navigate marvel is to follow certain writers who at least maintain continuity amongst the titles they work on eg Jason Aaron, remender, bendis, waid and Hickman (I'm not saying they are all good).

I'd insist you read "vision" it's not tied into anything but is the best book they'be done this decade.

Hickman is a safe bet as his stories do tend to work towards something and can be almost viewed like the movies in the sense each arc is a film and they build to a big event. Between his two avengers books i felt like i was getting a good overview of everything happening in the MCU when i was only reading spider-man and odd issues of x-men.

Which is why I'm happy they've just confirmed Hickman will be taking over the entire line of x-books with him writing a couple of core books and apparently having overall control in direction/choosing other creators to work on other x-books. Very promising.

2 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

My fellow geeks, is Jonathan Hickman's X-men worth it?

Like winterfell says not out yet. I'm very optimistic about the potential of the story. I'm not so sure if it will be worth it though in terms of hard cash. Each issue is $6 and there are two 6 issues series. There will be an issue every week so it'll be finished in 12 weeks and the trade collections will be out shortly after at probably $15-$20. So $30-$40 dollars depending on whether it's 1 or 2 collections vs $72 as single issues. I know which option I'll be going for which is a shame considering I'm genuinely excited about it.

On 5/13/2019 at 7:00 PM, Winterfell is Burning said:

snip

13 hours ago, red snow said:

snip

Thanks for the tips. I’ve read a bunch of people saying that you can’t do it chronologically, but I’m actually getting on OK with it. I’m reading literally everything from Fresh Start onward, it’ll probably get too overwhelming eventually but for now they seem to have gradually rolled out titles so it’s manageable. 

Particularly enjoyed Venom, Hulk and Deadpool of what I’ve read. The chronology can be slightly wonky - it kinda works if you just assume Avengers takes place at some other time, the rest don’t seem to clash too much. Black Panther could easily be set thousands of years from now and not even feature T’Challa (no spoilers though please), the only other thing was that the exact roster of Avengers showed up in Deadpool.

At the moment I’m quite content catching up with what’s on MU and just pretending that’s the present for me, it’s certainly way cheaper that way.

I've heard the recent run of hulk is very good, leaning more into horror?

I think donny cates is a rising talent although I've yet to read anything by him. Think he does venom and ghost rider?

It's mainly time and cost that keeps me from a lot of comics these days. Probably read most of them on my phone to be honest when commuting or in queues.

19 hours ago, red snow said:

I've heard the recent run of hulk is very good, leaning more into horror?

Only read the first trade but as a longtime Hulk fan, it's better than any Hulk comic I've read for many years. The horror angle is definitely present but the series doesn't go where you think it'll go. 

I'm more confident it's genuinely good now a few of the boarders have confirmed. I'll be checking it out - sounds like a genuinely good hulk run. He's not my favourite character but i enjoyed planet hulk and the run by Bruce Jones way back.

Terry Moore's Five Years... anyone pick it up yet? I'm a SiP junkie, but haven't made it to the shop yet.   I'm not 100% on board with the idea of merging characters from all of his various series, but at the same time, I can't and won't quit...

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Is that Moira McTaggart? It would help to know who it is xavier is looking at.2nd guess was Rogue.

Hopefully not him reading Jean Grey and realising he loved her for the first time. It sometimes feels like this is the driving force of X-Men.

Bit disappointed the list of creators is for an 80 page special meaning we're only getting 1-4 pages off each. Seems a bit sad/desperate that they don't have a 1000 issue old comic so are simply inventing one for their 80th anniversary.

It also looks like creators from marvel and dc have been chatting too much for them both to do be doing "villains" storylines. 

On 5/16/2019 at 6:53 AM, red snow said:

I'm more confident it's genuinely good now a few of the boarders have confirmed. I'll be checking it out - sounds like a genuinely good hulk run. He's not my favourite character but i enjoyed planet hulk and the run by Bruce Jones way back.

Think I might pick up the first couple trades after seeing all this praise. I haven’t read anything from Marvel since Vision, so it’s been quite a while. 

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Think I might pick up the first couple trades after seeing all this praise. I haven’t read anything from Marvel since Vision, so it’s been quite a while. 

Same here. First issue was definitely promising.

What did others think of Tom King being fired off "Batman"? Haven't read his run yet but it always appeared to be a 100 issue arc (which is a bit reckless/unlikely on a non creator owned title). He's getting to finish the story in a new title batman/Catwoman but seems a bit off for King and those who have been following the story. Be interesting to see who is replacing him (some big fish like bendis?) And how sales of batman vs the batman/catwoman fare.

I'm also left wondering whether King will try creator owned. I think sales on batman have been dropping and his "heroes in crisis" has received criticism (I've enjoyed heroes in crisis, mainly for the art but also for the head panel pages). I get the impression King works best without interference and it sounds like HiC was changed by editorial into a blood bath whodunnit (with mandated perp/victims) instead of it's initial pitch as "superhero therapy sessions". Hopefully things don't sour between him and dc - it sounds like management know his "vision"/"mr miracle" are long term trade sellers but maybe his bimonthly hero titles aren't as profitable?

Marvel should try and poach him back if they get the chance.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived