Comics XIII

Calibandar

8 hours ago, Nictarion said:

The Walking Dead #192

Hide contents

So Rick is actually dead. And Carl finishing him off...brutal. I don’t think my jaw has dropped like that while reading something since Jon’s last chapter in ADwD.

Hopefully it will give the series a creative boost as the the last couple of volumes have been dull - the new community isn't doing it for me at all.

Ok, I just saw Into the Spiderverse (which was great), but I have a comics question.  WTF were they thinking making Miles Morales' father be named Jefferson Davis?  What family would name their black son that?  Was this ever explained?  It strikes me as completely ridiculous and a little insulting.

55 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Ok, I just saw Into the Spiderverse (which was great), but I have a comics question.  WTF were they thinking making Miles Morales' father be named Jefferson Davis?  What family would name their black son that?  Was this ever explained?  It strikes me as completely ridiculous and a little insulting.

You'd have to ask Bendis, but apparently he hasn't/won't answer:

Yeah, I know it came from him, but I'm just amazed that no one successfully called him on it in the editing process.  I understand he's a (relatively) minor character, but that is just a dumb idea. 

7 hours ago, Little Valkyrie said:

For the past several years, it's seemed like no one was editing Bendis at all, soo...

In the big 2, seems increasingly the role of editors is just shut down stories the writers want to do for those they, or editorial higher than they, want to do rather than oversee obvious mistakes and stupid ideas like that, or glaring continuity flaws.

On 6/10/2019 at 7:02 PM, Maithanet said:

Yeah, I know it came from him, but I'm just amazed that no one successfully called him on it in the editing process.  I understand he's a (relatively) minor character, but that is just a dumb idea. 

I'd be looking for answers from Sony tbh. They should have considered it even if the comics side hadn't.

The only angle i could see was the mum wanted to name the kid after her dad/granda and she got lumbered with the surname. Or they were are keen supporters of the confederacy irrespective of slavery. But it's not a case of whether the characters have a reason, like you say it should have just been avoided.

10 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

In the big 2, seems increasingly the role of editors is just shut down stories the writers want to do for those they, or editorial higher than they, want to do rather than oversee obvious mistakes and stupid ideas like that, or glaring continuity flaws.

Yup it's just get ready for the next crossover event and/or relaunch.

Although it sounds as if bendis moving to DC has been beneficial all around, his books seem to be doing well sales/review wise and he's not writing marvel comics. Win, win.

Although it's weird he is treat with such reverence at DC. 

Besides Bendis, who do you think the next batman author will be? I've hear Warren Ellis mentioned a few times in rumours now. If they bring him in to do his usual 6-12 issue run adrenaline shot on a title it could be fun. Although I'd rather he was doing more animated projects to be honest. I think animation suits him as it gives us his widescreen storytelling without the decompression.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 3:52 PM, red snow said:

Hopefully it will give the series a creative boost as the the last couple of volumes have been dull - the new community isn't doing it for me at all.

No need to worry about that. Apparently tomorrow’s issue (#193) is the the end of the book. 

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

No need to worry about that. Apparently tomorrow’s issue (#193) is the the end of the book. 

It's quite a good stunt to not end at 200 and surprise people. Maybe Marvel has me too well trained as i find it really hard to believe there won't be a spin-off title coming out along the lines of "walking dead: the next generation". If there isn't, kirkman and image get my respect for not milking the series into obscurity.

The recent death in the comic seems like a natural (and depressing) point at which to end things.

Image's sales will be awful for the rest of 2019. No walking dead or Saga.

Apparently folks have the final issue via kindle, and one at least says

Spoiler

that it ends in such a way that sequel stories seem unlikely (except maybe for one character). 

I admit, I didn't expect Kirkman to pull the trigger and end it.

7 hours ago, Ran said:

Apparently folks have the final issue via kindle, and one at least says

Reveal hidden contents

that it ends in such a way that sequel stories seem unlikely (except maybe for one character). 

I admit, I didn't expect Kirkman to pull the trigger and end it.

It still leaves room for "interquels". But the issue sounds like one he could have had ready to pull out at any time in last 5 years or so.

Like i said it's more of a surprise from image's POV, I'm sure kirkman is wealthy enough to lose the cash cow but it was Image's biggest seller. It may have a knock on effect of how many new books they can publish. That said image has a very different business model where the risk is largely on the creators.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived