Jump to content
Calibandar

Comics XIII

Recommended Posts

I just found out that DC is starting a book for Batman Who Laughs.  Ugh, I just don't understand the popularity of this character.  When I look at this character, I just see ridiculousness, not horror.  How can he see with that stupid dog collar over his eyes?  Does anyone like that character?  If so, why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up the Halloween special of Wytches. It concludes the Bad Egg storyline that has been running in Image+. Kind of pricey at $8, but it’s massive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

I just found out that DC is starting a book for Batman Who Laughs.  Ugh, I just don't understand the popularity of this character.  When I look at this character, I just see ridiculousness, not horror.  How can he see with that stupid dog collar over his eyes?  Does anyone like that character?  If so, why?

I'm with you.  The character concept could be interesting, and, I think was for the Metal event.  However, I completely agree on the character design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, hauberk said:

I'm with you.  The character concept could be interesting, and, I think was for the Metal event.  However, I completely agree on the character design.

He's definitely been shoved down our throats in a "the Inhumans are a great X-Men replacement" kind of way. They even claimed in the DC nation magazine that he's the single biggest threat to DC universe. He just feels like judge death in design and he comes off too much as joker in a different suit than Bruce Wayne gone mad. But my dislike of heavy metal event is well documented here. Maybe the people who loved that series loved that character?

Read the first two issues of "heroes in crisis". I like the art and the story is ok but I'm clearly getting too jaded with superhero comics. Batman lying about having kryptonite for what feel like at least the third time I've witnessed. Booster gold as the potential villain and the fear Skeets is evil again. And superman being a bit stupid in revealing his identity on a video recording when all the other interviews were of heroes in their costumes but for some reason superman turns up as Clark? Seems a bit contrived. I also completely missed poison ivy as a victim in issue one.

It's also not really clear to me what the sanctuary actually does. The story seems more interested in the murder than the actual therapy setting which feels a little like false billing based on the build up.

I suspect neither booster or Harley are to blame. Or at least not the "present" booster - I could see the twist possibly being they are inadvertently creating the "future" booster who may indeed go back and commit the crime. The mystery and art is what will keep me coming back for now. That and it does feel self-contained

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, red snow said:

He's definitely been shoved down our throats in a "the Inhumans are a great X-Men replacement" kind of way. They even claimed in the DC nation magazine that he's the single biggest threat to DC universe. He just feels like judge death in design and he comes off too much as joker in a different suit than Bruce Wayne gone mad. But my dislike of heavy metal event is well documented here. Maybe the people who loved that series loved that character?

Read the first two issues of "heroes in crisis". I like the art and the story is ok but I'm clearly getting too jaded with superhero comics. Batman lying about having kryptonite for what feel like at least the third time I've witnessed. Booster gold as the potential villain and the fear Skeets is evil again. And superman being a bit stupid in revealing his identity on a video recording when all the other interviews were of heroes in their costumes but for some reason superman turns up as Clark? Seems a bit contrived. I also completely missed poison ivy as a victim in issue one.

It's also not really clear to me what the sanctuary actually does. The story seems more interested in the murder than the actual therapy setting which feels a little like false billing based on the build up.

I suspect neither booster or Harley are to blame. Or at least not the "present" booster - I could see the twist possibly being they are inadvertently creating the "future" booster who may indeed go back and commit the crime. The mystery and art is what will keep me coming back for now. That and it does feel self-contained

The Judge Death thing is a great pick-up!  I knew that he was reminding me of something but I was going more Hellrazor Centobyte.  

I've only read the first issue of HiC so far.  I get my books shipped once a month so they won't be here for another week.  Completely agree that it's a very pretty book.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hauberk said:

The Judge Death thing is a great pick-up!  I knew that he was reminding me of something but I was going more Hellrazor Centobyte.  

I've only read the first issue of HiC so far.  I get my books shipped once a month so they won't be here for another week.  Completely agree that it's a very pretty book.  

Hope I didn't spoil anything? News outlets usually do before the event comics come out but I can spoiler tag HiC ones if you want?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn, time finally caught up on Stan Lee and he passed away. Sounds as though he had a rough time of it since he lost his wife in 2017 so hope he passed peacefully.

What a legacy though. Most people would be content creating Fantastic Four, Spider-man, Thor, Iron Man, The avengers, the X-men or Daredevil but this guy co-created them all (along with Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko) and essentially the marvel universe. It would be like one person creating all the DC characters. It's great he lived to see his creations become cultural phenomenons and kings of the box office. Beyond his role in creating these characters he was also a life-long ambassador for comics appearing pretty much everywhere and lending his voice as narrator to so many of the marvel cartoons I watched as a kid.

If people live on through their creations, Stan will be around for a long time to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading a bunch of collections all starring the Jane Foster Thor, who's pretty much the only character in comics I've come to care about in quite a while.

Edited by Knight of Ashes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, red snow said:

Damn, time finally caught up on Stan Lee and he passed away. Sounds as though he had a rough time of it since he lost his wife in 2017 so hope he passed peacefully.

What a legacy though. Most people would be content creating Fantastic Four, Spider-man, Thor, Iron Man, The avengers, the X-men or Daredevil but this guy co-created them all (along with Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko) and essentially the marvel universe. It would be like one person creating all the DC characters. It's great he lived to see his creations become cultural phenomenons and kings of the box office. Beyond his role in creating these characters he was also a life-long ambassador for comics appearing pretty much everywhere and lending his voice as narrator to so many of the marvel cartoons I watched as a kid.

If people live on through their creations, Stan will be around for a long time to come.

QfT 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably the best balanced column I've read on Stan Lee's legacy, from a few years ago but still valid:

http://comicsalliance.com/stan-lee-legacy-jack-kirby-steve-ditko-marvel-history/

There are few people where you can say 'there'll never be another like him' but Stan Lee is one. I'm glad for everything he gave us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put Irredeemable and Incorruptible on hold at the library. Incorruptible came first. Can I read it without having read Irredeemable first?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×