Calibandar

Comics XIII

Some wild rumors going around that Vertigo may be coming to an end as an imprint.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Some wild rumors going around that Vertigo may be coming to an end as an imprint.

Guess they’ll just move everything over to Black Label...

8 hours ago, Nictarion said:

The Walking Dead #192

Hide contents

So Rick is actually dead. And Carl finishing him off...brutal. I don’t think my jaw has dropped like that while reading something since Jon’s last chapter in ADwD.

Hopefully it will give the series a creative boost as the the last couple of volumes have been dull - the new community isn't doing it for me at all.

Ok, I just saw Into the Spiderverse (which was great), but I have a comics question.  WTF were they thinking making Miles Morales' father be named Jefferson Davis?  What family would name their black son that?  Was this ever explained?  It strikes me as completely ridiculous and a little insulting.

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Ok, I just saw Into the Spiderverse (which was great), but I have a comics question.  WTF were they thinking making Miles Morales' father be named Jefferson Davis?  What family would name their black son that?  Was this ever explained?  It strikes me as completely ridiculous and a little insulting.

You'd have to ask Bendis, but apparently he hasn't/won't answer:

Edited by Little Valkyrie
add link

Yeah, I know it came from him, but I'm just amazed that no one successfully called him on it in the editing process.  I understand he's a (relatively) minor character, but that is just a dumb idea. 

9 hours ago, Maithanet said:

no one successfully called him on it in the editing process.

For the past several years, it's seemed like no one was editing Bendis at all, soo...

7 hours ago, Little Valkyrie said:

For the past several years, it's seemed like no one was editing Bendis at all, soo...

In the big 2, seems increasingly the role of editors is just shut down stories the writers want to do for those they, or editorial higher than they, want to do rather than oversee obvious mistakes and stupid ideas like that, or glaring continuity flaws.

On 6/10/2019 at 7:02 PM, Maithanet said:

Yeah, I know it came from him, but I'm just amazed that no one successfully called him on it in the editing process.  I understand he's a (relatively) minor character, but that is just a dumb idea. 

I'd be looking for answers from Sony tbh. They should have considered it even if the comics side hadn't.

The only angle i could see was the mum wanted to name the kid after her dad/granda and she got lumbered with the surname. Or they were are keen supporters of the confederacy irrespective of slavery. But it's not a case of whether the characters have a reason, like you say it should have just been avoided.

10 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

In the big 2, seems increasingly the role of editors is just shut down stories the writers want to do for those they, or editorial higher than they, want to do rather than oversee obvious mistakes and stupid ideas like that, or glaring continuity flaws.

Yup it's just get ready for the next crossover event and/or relaunch.

Although it sounds as if bendis moving to DC has been beneficial all around, his books seem to be doing well sales/review wise and he's not writing marvel comics. Win, win.

Although it's weird he is treat with such reverence at DC. 

Besides Bendis, who do you think the next batman author will be? I've hear Warren Ellis mentioned a few times in rumours now. If they bring him in to do his usual 6-12 issue run adrenaline shot on a title it could be fun. Although I'd rather he was doing more animated projects to be honest. I think animation suits him as it gives us his widescreen storytelling without the decompression.