Malta's Azure Arch featured in GoT collapses

Dya of Oldstones

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/08/azure-window-malta-collapse-game-of-thrones

Hope this is the right forum to post this in, but sad to see such a landmark go, regardless.

As arches go, the Azure Window had celebrity status, featuring in films such as Clash of the Titans and The Count of Monte Cristo and serving as the backdrop to the Dothraki wedding scene in the television version of Game of Thrones.

But now, the limestone arch, one of Malta’s most famous landmarks, is no more, having collapsed into the sea after a heavy storm.

Malta’s prime minister, Joseph Muscat, said the news was heartbreaking. “Reports commissioned over the years indicated that this landmark would be hard hit by unavoidable natural corrosion. That sad day arrived,” he said.

I vaguely remember it from S1 in Dany and Drogo's wedding scene, but must admit I had to read the article to jog my memory on it. Maybe not big show news per se, but regardless of what we think of the show, the set locations are one thing that makes it memorable.

Archived