Characters that could've been merged/combined [Show & Book Spoilers]

Good Guy Garlan

Personally, I would've done the following mashups, were I the show runner:

- Young Griff/Edric Storm: Personally, I think this would've been an improvement on the books in many ways. For starters, Edric shows up in season 2, so viewers would get to know him early on instead of Young Griff showing up seasons later. Also, it does away with the convoluted baby-swapping angle, and it simplifies Varys and Illyrio's plot as they just taking advantage of one of Robert's bastards for their own gain. In a similar vein...

- Jon Connington/Jorah Mormont: Instead of having Jorah take Tyrion to Meereen in an unconvincing gesture, I'd have him join the Shy Maid crew after Dany sends him away. 

- Obara/Tyene/Nym: Instead of getting 3 one-dimensional characters, you'd get a single, more compelling one, with Obara's back story, Tyene's fake-innocent personality, and Nym's...looks, I guess. 

- Jeyne Westerling/Jeyne Poole: One of the most frequent arguments of those in favor of the "Sansa in Winterfell" storyline is that the audience wouldn't have had a strong attachment to Jeyne Poole. The solution: send Jeyne Westerling in her capacity as Queen of the North to marry Ramsay and solidify the Bolton's hold of Winterfell. Of course, I guess first you would've needed to include Jeyne Westerling in the first place :/ 

Nice OP.  I'm satisfied enough with the Gendry/Edric Storm mash-up and the Jorah/JonCon mashup (at least the greyscale part, though we don't know why it's important yet) they actually did.  I would have enjoyed a Victarion/Aeron composite character, a sort of Warrior-Priest for the Iron Born who would have been a real threat at the Kingsmoot (instead of Theon) and being a sympathetic character through which we could see how screwed up Euron is, while also being a bad-ass at the same time.  Might have been hard to pull off, but they could have introduced him in S2/S3 and had a brief appearance in S4 like Yara/Asha did.

Archived