Daylight savings time sucks spring 2020!!!

Ser Scot A Ellison

Half measures avail us nothing.  I think we should set the clocks forward 12 hours this Sunday.  Give it a few generations and maybe your descendants will be able to see in the dark or develop echolocation.  Plus think of all the solar energy we'll save while the sun is turned off the extra twelve hours a day.

17 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Half measures avail us nothing.  I think we should set the clocks forward 12 hours this Sunday.  Give it a few generations and maybe your descendants will be able to see in the dark or develop echolocation.  Plus think of all the solar energy we'll save while the sun is turned off the extra twelve hours a day.

:thumbsup:

Standard time means that the sun sits the highest in the sky at 12 (give or take some, depending on where in your time zone you are). This makes sense from an astronomical perspective. Daylight saving time means this happens at 1 pm instead. 

I think, if we decide to get rid of the DST, we should go with standard time rather than perpetual daylight saving time. If people like the extra hour of sunlight in the evenings, we should change our work schedules rather than mess around with the definition of time.

22 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Then people are phrasing what they mean very poorly.

Can't be that poor if everyone else gets what they mean. If you are asleep in a darkened room during an hour of sunlight versus being awake, up, and about, then yes, you are getting an extra hour of sunlight.

But, hey, I also think Ben Kenobi's "certain point of view" explanation was a clever write around for telling Luke Vader killed his father, so that scene never bothers me in "A New Hope". So I can be lenient with phrasings.

Have to say I agree with the OP.  So many strange happenings on spring forward/fall back days over the years.

The only positive thing I have to say about "living in the middle", states/provinces in the Central USA/Canada region, has been that the clocks don't move forward or backwards.

13 hours ago, Liffguard said:

Man, I don't get how people's routines can be so rigid that an hour's difference twice a year is worth getting upset about. My normal sleep patterns can vary by four hours on any given night anyway.

Exactly.  The whole time zone thing is a crazy idea.  We should all work off GMT or UTC or something uniform and get up whenever you need to for whatever reason.  Shifting time zones based on some preconceived notion of what time it has to be for certain activities absurd. DST is for people whose life is so rigid they need the official time to agree with what they think they should be doing.

14 hours ago, Liffguard said:

Man, I don't get how people's routines can be so rigid that an hour's difference twice a year is worth getting upset about. My normal sleep patterns can vary by four hours on any given night anyway.

I'm 46 (or will be in less than a month) the older I get the more difficult it is for me when my sleep pattern is disrupted.  As I've said a million time before it is the change I object to and that causes so many documented problems.  Pick one and bloody stick to it.

On 3/9/2017 at 10:18 AM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

<snip> screw up our sleep patterns, <snip>

Um, forgive me but how does it screw up your sleep? I have to be at work at the same time all year and therefore get up at the same time all year?  The only difference for me is I can take my walk outside 3 days a week instead of on the treadmill.

25 minutes ago, Nugget1229 said:

Um, forgive me but how does it screw up your sleep? I have to be at work at the same time all year and therefore get up at the same time all year?  The only difference for me is I can take my walk outside 3 days a week instead of on the treadmill.

I have to make a conscious effort to go to bed early because I'm not tired when I would normally be tired due to the time shift.  Further I'm getting up an hour earlier than I'm accustomed to getting up.  As I age my body remembers the times I normally get up and go to sleep more readily (at least that is my perception).  Thus shifting an hour ahead or an hour back screws that up. 

Just pick one set time and stick to it.  Is this a terribly hard concept?  There is no need to shift back and forth biennially.  It is stupid.

18 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I have to make a conscious effort to go to bed early because I'm not tired when I would normally be tired due to the time shift.  Further I'm getting up an hour earlier than I'm accustomed to getting up.  As I age my body remembers the times I normally get up and go to sleep more readily (at least that is my perception).  Thus shifting an hour ahead or an hour back screws that up. 

Just pick one set time and stick to it.  Is this a terribly hard concept?  There is no need to shift back and forth biennially.  It is stupid.

Thanks for the clarification.  Unfortunately, I'm of no help because I have no power to fix it for you.

Archived