Daylight savings time sucks spring 2020!!!

Ser Scot A Ellison

36 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

The worst thing in the world is when you are night shift and the clocks go back, that one extra hour feels like torture.

I'm not sure which part was worse. Doing the whole hour you'd already gone through over again. Or a few hours later when you hit the time you actually would've been leaving, and knowing you still had another hour. 

Nah, I think this is the one with the lost hour.

Anyway, I am curious whether and how they will abolish the whole thing. In theory it looks like a good idea. In practice there are still some issues to solve. Afterall, the national parliaments have to abolish summer/winter time. And they better agree on one, otherwise this could look like some sort of patchwork timezones, with Sweden and Italy using a different one to France. I can see how the likesay Finnland would rather have the winter time than the summer time. That should not be the biggest problem in the world to agree on one time.

Though the Ireland could be the most fun one. Let's say the ROI (and the EU as a whole) abolished the summer/winter time and clock changes, while the UK (and Northern Ireland) wouldn't do the same. That would lead to annoying 6 months each year for commuters. 

It actually won’t matter all that much if the countries choose differently between normal and summer time. There are already different time zones within the EU. Finland and Sweden have different time zones for instance, to the endless amusement of Haparanda-Tornio residents who can cross the border and celebrate New Year twice.

It would help if everyone stopped switching back and forth though. Changing the clock when you’re travelling is much less of a hassle than everyone doing it twice a year.

• 6 months later...

For @Ser Scot A Ellison

https://www.change.org/p/eliminate-daylight-savings-time?j=503108&sfmc_sub=174550847&l=32_HTML&u=66575161&mid=7233053&jb=1944&utm_medium=email&utm_source=aa_sign_human&utm_campaign=503108&utm_content=&sfmc_tk=6z27HwELzjHYPzGQUdqKQCcw8rFSpa3NX90stLRKa7NBPleaeyrhgh1k6uggKFC2&j=503108&sfmc_sub=174550847&l=32_HTML&u=66575161&mid=7233053&jb=1944

This morning, most of the United States adjusted clocks an hour ahead in observance of daylight-saving time. Thousands of supporters — including Lynne, who started this petition — believe the practice is outdated, unnecessary, and burdensome. Join the movement to end daylight-saving time as multiple states have recently done. Sign and share Lynne’s petition now.

I completely forgot DST was starting today until I woke up this morning and was very disorientated by the time my clocks were telling me. Not a great start to the day.

Going forward isn't the part that gives me personally an issue so much. It's gaining an hour where we run into issues with systems in the hospital. Any time you can't get a med out of a cabinet because the patient supposedly hasn't been admitted yet is a problem. Having issues putting a patient in a bed and hooking them up to the bed's linked devices because their stay overlaps with the stay of another patient who was transferred out of the bed thirty minutes ago.

Basically, don't go to a hospital prior to the daylight savings change in the fall (tangent, try to avoid going to a teaching hospital at night in July in general).

Also, DST increases energy consumption by 1% generally and 2-4% in the fall, so completely fails its main purpose: https://www.nber.org/papers/w14429

I m just glad that as of right now at least, tomorrow will be my first day of sleeping in since the clocks change.  It would have been a poker sin to leave that table Saturday night before around 4 30am but man that and daylight savings has been a real double whammy.

• 6 months later...

I hate the jet lag I get from the spring forward, but I like the longer hours of sunlight during the times when I'm awake. Any sunlight that hits the earth earlier than 7AM is wasted for me.

2 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

9:02 in this video is for @Ser Scot A Ellison

Words fail me, much like intelligence failed that person.

Archived