Daylight savings time sucks spring 2020!!!

Ser Scot A Ellison

19 hours ago, Nugget1229 said:

Um, forgive me but how does it screw up your sleep? I have to be at work at the same time all year and therefore get up at the same time all year?  The only difference for me is I can take my walk outside 3 days a week instead of on the treadmill.

I go into work rather early and have a long commute. My normal time to get out of bed is around 6:00 AM and out the door by 6:30. 

When DST hits, sure, technically I am still getting up at "6:00 AM" but in real physical terms it is actually the 5:00 AM from just a few days prior. The first day (Monday) isn't all that bad, because it's just one day. By Wednesday, I'm at three straight days of my brain and body feeling like it's "getting up an hour early" and am ready to punt my cell phone out the window when the alarm sounds.

This morning (the fifth work day past the time change) wasn't too terrible, so I'm finally getting accustomed to the change. It's still ridiculous and utterly unnecessary.

• 2 weeks later...

The switch came to Europe this weekend. I am warming up to the switch-haters. At least it could be done during work hours, so they take away an hour of the office time - weekends are too short as they are!

I forgot about the switch and was sitting reading an article last night, glanced at my watch at one point, finished the last few pages then checked my phone and had a weird moment of "wow it took me an hour to read 3 pages?!" Then I checked my watch and realised oh it's DST, I need to set it forward an hour

Getting up at 6 a.m. to make my morning workout was not meant to be. I'll try to make it tomorrow.

The worst part is that I'll need to get up at 4-4.15 a.m. on Wednesday, to catch an early morning flight. Hopefully, I'll get used to it by then.

• 7 months later...

Evening shift feels like forever because it’s dark from beginning to end. Whereas before it would get dark and I would realise I was 3/4, 1/2 or 1/4 through my shift (decreasing as daylight hours grew shorter, obviously).  *sigh* 

I was so annoyed yesterday when I was about to take my dog to go run at the park only to discover that it was nearly dark.  At 5:30.  Ugh.  

And two weeks from now it will be dark at like 3.  I need to just go straight into hibernation already.  

This morning for the THIRD CONSECUTIVE DAY (a Monday, no less) the answer to the world's saddest question was "YES!"

Me:  Wakes up an hour before sunrise and asks self, "Can I please go back to sleep?"

Me during Standard time:  "Yes, my dear.  You can go back to sleep UNTIL DAWN.  ENJOY YOURSELF."

I FEEL LIKE A MILLION DOLLARS!

1 hour ago, Lily Valley said:

This morning for the THIRD CONSECUTIVE DAY (a Monday, no less) the answer to the world's saddest question was "YES!"

Me:  Wakes up an hour before sunrise and asks self, "Can I please go back to sleep?"

Me during Standard time:  "Yes, my dear.  You can go back to sleep UNTIL DAWN.  ENJOY YOURSELF."

I FEEL LIKE A MILLION DOLLARS!

YES!  Great minds think alike.  Plus the kiddos actually go to sleep at about 8pm for a week or two until they catch on to my ruse and figure out I didn't change the wall clocks on purpose. 

ETA:  Albeit... I don't really see the sun during the work week until March... but we catch up on weekends and the holidays and a few minutes during the morning and evening commutes once in awhile.  By the spring I'm usually glad to lose that hour of sleep to spend some time together.  

the "fall back" of day light savings is the single best holiday of the year, by far surpassing christmas, thanksgiving and halloween combined. i propose we keep the fall change and abolish the spring one – or even better fall back an hour in the spring as well

9 hours ago, r'hllor's redrum lobster said:

the "fall back" of day light savings is the single best holiday of the year, by far surpassing christmas, thanksgiving and halloween combined. i propose we keep the fall change and abolish the spring one – or even better fall back an hour in the spring as well

Today I extended my joy by turning myself into a wizard.  I was drinking my coffee and listening to the dawn chorus.  After the sun rose, I swished my magic wand at the oven clock AND ANOTHER HOUR TO DRINK COFFEE AND LOOK AT THE BIRDS APPEARED!   MAGIC MAGIC IS REAL!!!!!

@Ded As Ned  I used that trick on Mini Me UNTIL HE MOVED OUT.  Works a treat.  Teenagers don't watch the news.

Archived