NFL Offseason: Trail of Tears or My Cousin Kirky

Manhole Eunuchsbane

Just now, lancerman said:

I'm not saying he's not the best WR of all time or that he couldn't be successful without Montana or Young. But the fact is most WR's don't get the benefit of 15 of 20 years where they mostly were thrown to by Montana and Young. It does make a difference in the massive gap between him and TO and Moss. 

In fact, how big do you think that gap is if TO or Moss spend 5 years with Brady and 10 years with Brees? Because we know what Moss did with one year of healthy Brady (09 Brady was coming off the biggest injury of his career). Maybe Rice is still ahead. But it's more of a discussion. 

And again the 88, 89, and 94 Niner's were super teams and had a great QB playing at an MVP level. I can say them at a minimum two of those three Super Bowls without Rice. I can't see them winning anything with Montana or Young.

It's a fair point, but I don't think Moss ever challenges Rice in terms of receptions or yardage. He simply wasn't that sort of receiver. He was more of an over-the-top deep threat as opposed to the guy you're looking for on a 3rd and 8 or whatever.

Yeah I would just say if we are talking pure physical dominance as an athlete it's gotta be Jim Brown. He made everyone he played with look like little kids. It's stupid how good his highlight reel is. And that was back when the NFL was a running league that featured the pass and not the other way around. 

If you are talking about impact on a team and championships's it's Brady as he's never had a losing season, has every playoff and win related metric in his favor AND is a top 5 in all bulk stats (with the caveat of having a path to number 1) and no lower than top 3 in efficiency stats. 

47 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

It's a fair point, but I don't think Moss ever challenges Rice in terms of receptions or yardage. He simply wasn't that sort of receiver. He was more of an over-the-top deep threat as opposed to the guy you're looking for on a 3rd and 8 or whatever.

Moss was an absolute cheat code in the Madden games, though.  You could literally just throw a hail Mary every down and win.

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

He was a cheat code in real life, in his fucking rookie season. I don't think I've ever seen a guy make more long catches. Just insane. 

We had to ban people from using the Vikings during my sophomore year in college because it just wasn't fair.

33 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

He was a cheat code in real life, in his fucking rookie season. I don't think I've ever seen a guy make more long catches. Just insane. 

Ah the good old days. His Thanksgiving Day game in his rookie season was unreal. I'm sure Cowboys fans still have nightmares from it.

32 minutes ago, briantw said:

We had to ban people from using the Vikings during my sophomore year in college because it just wasn't fair.

The ultimate cheat code in Madden was the FB pass. 8 yards every time. 

Sweep toss was pretty broken too. Wouldn't always work, but when it did, you got a TD.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Pats fans you guys got a good one in Rex Burkhead. I'm really dissapointed we didn't resign him. 

Nice signing - I'm a bit surprised with James White and Dion Lewis already on the payroll. That said, the more the merrier if you aren't hoping for counting fantasy stats.

CBS' Jason La Canfora is "convinced" the Jets are offering free agent LB Dont'a Hightower "far and away" the most money.

The Jets mostly seem like a leverage play on Hightower's behalf, but La Canfora has been adamant their interest is real. Hightower seems to want to re-sign with the Patriots, but is taking visits as he waits for a better offer. Hightower would be a rather pointless signing for a team that's going nowhere in 2017.

Seems like bullshit from the Jets trying to increase the price for the Patriots. For the Jets, Hightower would cost them money and 2018 draft slots - no need for them to go to the high-end of the market.

Aditi Kinkhabwala of NFL Network has been tweeting about the Steelers meeting with Hightower today. Supposedly he has been offered a contract but has been told if he boards a plane without signing then the offer is off the table. The reasoning being that they don't want Hightower to use their offer as leverage to just get a better deal with the Pats. No update yet on if he's flown out of the city. 

Just now, Reny of Storms End said:

Aditi Kinkhabwala of NFL Network has been tweeting about the Steelers meeting with Hightower today. Supposedly he has been offered a contract but has been told if he boards a plane without signing then the offer is off the table. The reasoning being that they don't want Hightower to use their offer as leverage to just get a better deal with the Pats. No update yet on if he's flown out of the city. 

Yeah, that seems to me to be a good sign that the Pats are in the lead position to resign Hightower of the Steelers are retracting offers.  

Anyway ... 

So, word is that when Malcom Butler visits NO the Saints will trade for him sending the Pats #1 pick (#32 overall) back to the Pats for Butler.  It will be a trade, not FA offer so the Pats will not get another #1 compensatory pick.  

There are some rumblings that the Pats may get back 1) their #32 pick that they sent over for Cooks, 2) the Saints #11 overall pick or 3) the #32 pick and possibly a 2nd or 3rd round pick as well.  Regardless, the Pats are sending signals that this is really close to happening and the Pats are not likely to interfere or pull anything.  

I think Pats fans- myself included -looked at Gilmore and thought about him and Butler and thought it was amazing and we got our hopes up, so we MAY be inclined to be disappointed, but we shouldn't be.  Butler for Cooks (and some draft pick shenanigans) seems about right.  I would HATE to see NO sign Butler to a 4-year 40 mil contract when the Pats could EASILY have done that.  But otherwise I would feel MUCH better with Butler, Gilmore and Cooks, (and I frankly think Butler is better than Gilmore) but two out of three ain't bad.  

3 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Don't get Steeler's position. Upping a rival's costs may be a lesser win than getting the player, but you stil take it over the same player going to the same rival for less.

Yeah that doesn't make any sense. Keep the offer on the table and the worst thing that happens is you up the cost for the Pats to resign.

That's really dumb of the Steelers. But the reality is that most reports expect say every team that Hightower talked to is convinced he's resigning with the Pats. So maybe they just don't want to waste time as a leverage play and are giving a conditional best offer to force his hand?

"like here's an offer but if you don't make it happen now you lose it and you can't use it to negotiate".

47 minutes ago, Week said:

Seems like bullshit from the Jets trying to increase the price for the Patriots. For the Jets, Hightower would cost them money and 2018 draft slots - no need for them to go to the high-end of the market.

Could be. On the other hand, no matter who's leading the front office, the Jets really like signing Patriots players. And the Patriots sometimes really like signing Jets players; usually its a cast-off that Belichick decides to turn into a half-way decent starter just to show that he can. Like Danny Woodhead.

Dont'a Hightower's agent is Pat Dye, Jr. and he also represents some pretty huge names - DeMarco Murry, Demarcus Ware, and Eddie Lacy (because for a second there I thought he only represented guys whose first name began with a "D").  So this is not his first rodeo.  Its possible that Dye has done this before with the Steelers - tried to get his guy a bigger deal by going to the Steelers or another suitor to jack the price-up and this move is more against Dye than it is against Hightower and/or the Pats. 

9 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

I think the reason the Steelers made that ultimatum is that two players who visited recently signed deals with another team either before leaving the city or by the end of the night. 

Who were they?  Just for curiosity sake.  

23 minutes ago, lancerman said:

That's really dumb of the Steelers. But the reality is that most reports expect say every team that Hightower talked to is convinced he's resigning with the Pats. So maybe they just don't want to waste time as a leverage play and are giving a conditional best offer to force his hand?

"like here's an offer but if you don't make it happen now you lose it and you can't use it to negotiate".

yeah.  Very little to go on here, but the Steelers front office is not exactly known for making bonehead moves, so you can give them the benefits of the doubt on this one.

Archived