Acrophobia 28: Lomas Longstrider's notes - CONCLUDED

Dolorous Gabe

6 hours ago, Howlin' Howland said:

If you're looking for a theme, I think how a character would describe themselves in an online dating app would be a pretty good theme.

This is an absolutely great idea, thanks! :D If you let me borrow it, I will use it. 

I am old, old.... I opted out of the twitter theme because I couldn't stand to learn about tweeting but I am up for dating profiles. I was just surfing around and reading articles on how to write a good profile because again, I couldn't bear to actually sign up to one to see what they were like even when they are free. I was wondering about rules, as a I see there are some commonly used acronyms, and I was wondering if we could use them or indeed invent our own ASOIF ones e.g. R7 means you follow the faith of the seven, HB means highborn. Well actually you could just use the word highborn so an acronym wouldn't give you more flexibility. The trouble with using existing acronyms is that some of us won't know them (I could do without knowing some of the ones on the attached link), but they would add a bit of fun. Perhaps a rule like you can risk using an ASOIF based acronym if you think people will figure it out?

http://www.loveservices.co.uk/online_dating_blog/#sthash.1gkFNy2e.dpbs

Sorry I disappeared, but I really had to get my taxes done. I also at the same time had to buy a new car. :P

Both got done, and I am getting a nice refund cheque. My new (4 year old) wheels are lovely. :) 

This was an amazing game with a lot of incredible entries. This last set was the best of all. Congratulations, Gabe, for a game well run and to Julia for a game well fought!

OK, I'm here.

On 2017. 05. 08. at 3:07 AM, Castellan said:

I am old, old.... I opted out of the twitter theme because I couldn't stand to learn about tweeting but I am up for dating profiles. I was just surfing around and reading articles on how to write a good profile because again, I couldn't bear to actually sign up to one to see what they were like even when they are free. I was wondering about rules, as a I see there are some commonly used acronyms, and I was wondering if we could use them or indeed invent our own ASOIF ones e.g. R7 means you follow the faith of the seven, HB means highborn. Well actually you could just use the word highborn so an acronym wouldn't give you more flexibility. The trouble with using existing acronyms is that some of us won't know them (I could do without knowing some of the ones on the attached link), but they would add a bit of fun. Perhaps a rule like you can risk using an ASOIF based acronym if you think people will figure it out?

http://www.loveservices.co.uk/online_dating_blog/#sthash.1gkFNy2e.dpbs

Hm... To be honest, I didn't even realize that this topic would be similar to the tweeting one. I really like the idea of self-description for potential dates, but I don't think I want to or even could do a topic that requires the knowledge of the special language or rules of an internet community I'm not part of. (As for profiles, I am notoriously bad at creating profile pages - just look at my profile on this website and you will see what I mean). Perhaps this topic could be just about the characters introducing themselves any way they want (as long as they stick with the acronym), keeping in mind the dating purpose, of course. I don't mind the use of any known ASOIAF acronyms (we had a list of those in the tweeting game, it should be easy to find and copy). Inventing new ones could be fun but risky as well, so perhaps players could just decide to take this risk or not. 

What do you all think?

To All Who May Be Interested:

The 29th game of Acrophobia has started here:

The first round was announced a few minutes ago. Everyone is welcome to join, including @redriver, @Castellan@Fragile Bird@lil' ghost and @The Bastards Giant Friend, who have already expressed their interest in the game but haven't sent a PM yet. Please, check out the new thread and, if you like the idea, join the game! :)

On 2017-5-20 at 2:36 AM, rocksniffer said:

@Dolorous Gabe sorry i missed it Brother...but i am back now....ready and willing ;)

:smoking:

No worries, y'old sea dawg :D

(Speaking of sea dogs, I recently had the pleasure of partaking in some beers by Sea Dog Brewing Company and they were delightful. As someone usually none-too-keen on fruit ales, I was particularly impressed with the Wild Blueberry Ale)

41 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

No worries, y'old sea dawg :D

(Speaking of sea dogs, I recently had the pleasure of partaking in some beers by Sea Dog Brewing Company and they were delightful. As someone usually none-too-keen on fruit ales, I was particularly impressed with the Wild Blueberry Ale)

man, small world...when SwmbO and i visited space bandito in bangor we ate lunch at sea dog brewing restaurant great lobster bisque and lobster rolls accompanied by windjammer blonde for her and old gollywobbler brown for me

Archived