Let's fill the Shieldhall

A post the other day got me thinking; who might take the Black? Due to pending events, there might be a resurgence with the Nights Watchs numbers. Not necessarily in the fight to come but probably as a result of it. So, who do you think might one day take the black? Who would you like to see take the black?

I think that these folks will take the black eventually:

Jaime Lannister 

Jorah Mormont

JonCon (big IF he is cured of greyscale)

Some I would like to see take the black include:

At least a few of the "queens men"

Victarion

Darkstar

Lancel

8 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

I like your list. I'll have to think about who, if anyone, I would add.

Also I think the Unsullied would be great for the Night's Watch. They're ultra disciplined, know no fear, and can take things most men can't.

Namely, a swift kick to the groin. 

19 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

I like your list. I'll have to think about who, if anyone, I would add.

Also I think the Unsullied would be great for the Night's Watch. They're ultra disciplined, know no fear, and can take things most men can't.

I thought about the unsullied. I have a really hard time considering what all those men will do once they are too old for active military service. Obviously creating a family is off the table. So the Black would seem fitting, I do think they would do well in that militaristic environment. But it also seems like a really sad storyline for them.

Similarly, a lot of Golden Company men could end up there at the wall.

15 minutes ago, Smirking Knight said:

Namely, a swift kick to the groin. 

Ha!

Nobody. The Night's Watch will cease to exist (at least for a long time) once the Wall is broken and the dead come through. Once a certain understanding is made with the Others and they go back to where they came from, there won't be a need for the order anymore. The North will focus on rebuilding and getting through winter. The wildling refugees living on the Gift will be the ones mostly in charge of dealing with the ones still left north of the Wall. 

*puts tinfoil hat back on the shelf*

46 minutes ago, Renly's Banana said:

Nobody. The Night's Watch will cease to exist (at least for a long time) once the Wall is broken and the dead come through. Once a certain understanding is made with the Others and they go back to where they came from, there won't be a need for the order anymore. The North will focus on rebuilding and getting through winter. The wildling refugees living on the Gift will be the ones mostly in charge of dealing with the ones still left north of the Wall. 

*puts tinfoil hat back on the shelf*

At the very end, it actually is feasible that the Night's Watch won't be necessary anymore. But in the mean time we can speculate about who all would end up at the Wall before the story ends.

2 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

I've always dreamed of the "Last Battle of the Unsullied" standing the ground and protecting some site of metaphysical importance against a zillion of wights/Others until the dragons comes or something of that sort.

I don't think the NW will exists after the Battle of the Dawn 2.0, but some people will participate on it, dressed in black.

Strong candidates: Stannis, Jaime, Thoros, Sandor, Jorah

Other possibilities, Aegon, Gendry, Brienne (yes!), Loras, Davos, Tormund

Bonus point: Caggo from the Windblown. He got a Valyrian steel arakh and was nickenamed "Corpsekiller". It's just too much foreshadowing to be wasted.

40 minutes ago, rotting sea cow said:

I've always dreamed of the "Last Battle of the Unsullied" standing the ground and protecting some site of metaphysical importance against a zillion of wights/Others until the dragons comes or something of that sort.

I don't think the NW will exists after the Battle of the Dawn 2.0, but some people will participate on it, dressed in black.

Bonus point: Caggo from the Windblown. He got a Valyrian steel arakh and was nickenamed "Corpsekiller". It's just too much foreshadowing to be wasted.

I would like some epic stand of the unsullied that truly demonstrated their discipline.

Caggo is an excellent catch, I like it.

I left Gendry and Edric off because I think on earth or both of them will start a house or be legitimized.

I had considered Brienne, and a Dany Flint situation, but I wasn't sure how the two would correlate.

I would prefer that we don't get into the fate of the Watch. For this post I am more concerned with who might take the black or who folks would like to see take the black. Even if the wall comes down or the Others are completely finished, or a (new) pact is made, there is always at least a symbolic need for a unit that "guards the realms of men".

Even if there is no need for the NW to guard against either the Others or Wildlings at the end of the series, the North and possibly beyond is going to need a lot of rebuilding work.

1 hour ago, rotting sea cow said:

A lot has been made out of the no women rule and whether the logic behind it holds up to scrutiny for it to go unchallenged. Brienne seems very plausible to me. Maybe Arya as the first Lady Commander? That would solve part of the too many Starks and not enough roles conundrum.

3 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

What do you think of adding Strong Belwas to the mix...assuming he lives long enough?

Of all the candidates I've seen so far on here, I'd have to say the strongest is probably Jorah. 
There's no way he'll stay with Dany 'till the end. Him learning his father's last wish is still an open plot line that needs to be resolved. And once Sam tells him, he'll most likely join the Watch willingly. 

@AryaGonnaEatThatDeadFatGuy
I don't think Pycelle is gonna be going anywhere except the ground any time soon <:c

11 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

What do you think of adding Strong Belwas to the mix...assuming he lives long enough?

We know him already quite well and he is too simpled minded for that role. No internal conflicts. No contradictions. Does he really have a role if he survives Meeren?

10 hours ago, AryaGonnaEatThatDeadFatGuy said:

Is Theon too obvious an answer? As long as he's not too far broken to recover.

I think Theon is a strong possibility, but I guess he has other roles to play during the Battle of the Dawn, like bringing down Euron.

It would be cool to see some of these characters join the NW cause.  I think that humans will need as much magic and sorcery during the Battle for Dawn as they can muster in order to combat the Others.  Magic Spells seem to be effective against them.

Qyburn

Howland Reed

Thoros of Myr

Damphair

Marwyn the Mage

Lord Hightower

Benerro

Bran Stark

9 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

We know him already quite well and he is too simpled minded for that role. No internal conflicts. No contradictions. Does he really have a role if he survives Meeren?

<snip

Too simple minded for the Night's Watch? All you have to do is be able to wear black, follow orders, and fight. I wouldn't suggest him for Grand Maester but I think he could handle slashing at the enemy. Give him some dragonsteel and set him loose among the Others.

21 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Too simple minded for the Night's Watch? All you have to do is be able to wear black, follow orders, and fight. I wouldn't suggest him for Grand Maester but I think he could handle slashing at the enemy. Give him some dragonsteel and set him loose among the Others.

When I say too simple minded means he will never take the black willingly, because for that one needs to have some internal conflicts or some sense of duty. Belwas is a fierce fighter, but he is simple, he only cares about eating. I don't even think he is good to follow orders under harsh conditions. 

Archived