Kong: Skull Island

ants

Surprised nothing here on this. Saw it last weekend, thought it was pretty good. Always a limit on the level this type of movie can hit, but this hit all the right spots. The storyline actually was tight, the acting top notch, a little bit of humour but a strong sense of doom and danger. I was very pleased with the CGI and Kong "fit". 

Nice to see Hiddleston in a non-villain role, and Goodman, Larson and Jackman were all strong. 

Stay in the cinemas until the end of the credits. It is clear this is going to be part of a franchise, and the first instalment is very strong. 

2 hours ago, ants said:

Surprised nothing here on this. Saw it last weekend, thought it was pretty good. Always a limit on the level this type of movie can hit, but this hit all the right spots. The storyline actually was tight, the acting top notch, a little bit of humour but a strong sense of doom and danger. I was very pleased with the CGI and Kong "fit". 

Nice to see Hiddleston in a non-villain role, and Goodman, Larson and Jackman were all strong. 

Stay in the cinemas until the end of the credits. It is clear this is going to be part of a franchise, and the first instalment is very strong. 

did you mean Jackson?

It seems to be getting generally favourable reviews - with most saying it's fun. My problem is with the trailers which painted the film as a by the numbers action film awkwardly struggling and failing to be funny. But trailers are so hard to judge these days in the sense a bad trailer doesn't mean a bad film.

Oops, yes Jackson. 

I don't think the film really aims for any humour. Not that it doesn't have a little bit, mostly around one character, but generally it's pretty serious. Has a bit of an Aliens vibe. 

5 hours ago, ants said:

Unless their plans have changed I think the recent Godzilla movie was actually the start of this franchise. 

I actually want to see this.  I would like to see it in theatres...but I don't know when.  Little Jax (7, and a Jurrasoc World/Park freak) is a bit interested too, but the word on the street is that 7 might be a touch young, no matter how many times he's rooted for the dinosaurs over the humans...

11 hours ago, ants said:

I did comment on it in the 'What are you watching thread'. I definitely enjoyed it more than I expected to, I thought they did a good job of showing that Skull Island has some wonders in it as well as the more horrific aspects of it. Agree that the storyline worked fairly well, it's much better pace than Jackson's King Kong movie even if some of the character actions do seem excessively stupid. Starting off a scientific mission of exploration by bombing the place you are exploring was ridiculous.

Kong himself was great, although I think it's a good thing this supersized incarnation didn't try to balance atop the Empire State Building.

9 hours ago, RumHam said:

Unless their plans have changed I think the recent Godzilla movie was actually the start of this franchise. 

Really? That seems odd given the two movies are set about 40-50 years apart. 

9 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I actually want to see this.  I would like to see it in theatres...but I don't know when.  Little Jax (7, and a Jurrasoc World/Park freak) is a bit interested too, but the word on the street is that 7 might be a touch young, no matter how many times he's rooted for the dinosaurs over the humans...

Don't know if I'd worry about this, man. My daughters are 9 and 7 now, and when we went to the theater to see Lego Batman [finally] they got all gooey when they saw Kong was out and by majority vote over ruled me. They had a blast, even if the movie had [as my 7 year old put it] way too much yapping.

9 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Don't know if I'd worry about this, man. My daughters are 9 and 7 now, and when we went to the theater to see Lego Batman [finally] they got all gooey when they saw Kong was out and by majority vote over ruled me. They had a blast, even if the movie had [as my 7 year old put it] way too much yapping.

Not overly bloody?  And I know it's PG-13, so that's gotta rein in some of Samuel L.'s tendencies towards this F-Bombs, right?  I want him to enjoy it, without wanting to walk out either...

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Not overly bloody?  And I know it's PG-13, so that's gotta rein in some of Samuel L.'s tendencies towards this F-Bombs, right?  I want him to enjoy it, without wanting to walk out either...

There's blood, sure, but it's not obscene gore like severed limbs flying akimbo or disembowelments... well, there's one of the latter, but that's Kong on another monster. Quite a few soldiers got eaten.

Insofar as the swearing, there's some certainly, but way less than from the group of guys in front of us that were cursing like pirates-- until I lost my patience and flat hoofed the back of a chair like Steve Rogers does terrorists and had a few words of my own.

Probably a call only you can make, your son seeing it, but there was no point where I was all, flinch, better get the girls out of here.

On 3/18/2017 at 1:14 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

I saw it in IMAX 3D and it was spectacular fun! It's basically Apocalypse Now meets a monster movie with John C. Reiley thrown in for comic relief. If you dug Pacific Rim or Gareth Edwards' Godzilla film then you should have a kickass time at the movies. And as for your 7 year old, if he made it through Jurassic World okay then he shouldn't have a problem with the fights on Skull Island..

9 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

I saw it in IMAX 3D and it was spectacular fun! It's basically Apocalypse Now meets a monster movie with John C. Reiley thrown in for comic relief. If you dug Pacific Rim or Gareth Edwards' Godzilla film then you should have a kickass time at the movies. And as for your 7 year old, if he made it through Jurassic World okay then he shouldn't have a problem with the fights on Skull Island..

See my problem is that I enjoyed Pacific Rim and really disliked Godzilla.

If they do a crossover isn't Kong going to be a lot smaller than the 2014 Godzilla? I guess they could have a younger Godzilla or have Kong grow between films but from what2014 i recall from trailers/the movie Kong could pretty much ride on the back of 2014 godzilla

14 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Clarification: Little Jax watched Jurassic World when he was six. At least half a dozen times. :P

He's seven now. 

11 hours ago, red snow said:

If they do a crossover isn't Kong going to be a lot smaller than the 2014 Godzilla? I guess they could have a younger Godzilla or have Kong grow between films but from what2014 i recall from trailers/the movie Kong could pretty much ride on the back of 2014 godzilla

I mean, they're not very similar movies save for kaiju battles. However, I enjoyed both. And they scaled up Kong big time for KSI. My guess is they did it for the fact he'll need to be in scale with Godjira for the next film.

11 hours ago, red snow said:

I'd say it's definitely better than Godzilla. This time they seem to have realised that if they promote the movie with a great actor in a prominent role then they shouldn't kill him off in the first half hour of the film. I found the characters to be more interesting than in Godzilla, I think the number of significant characters in the film is maybe a bit excessive but it does juggle their storylines fairly well.

7 hours ago, Leap said:

They also deliberately said ''and he's still growing'', so I guess when we see Kong 45 years older in the crossover film, he'll be even larger. I still think he's going to be small compared to Godzilla.

This article cites the 2014 Godzilla as being 355ft tall (or 108m), whilst the latest Kong is 100ft tall (30m). I doubt they'll make Kong 3x the size if they're going with the explanation that he's still growing naturally, so he'll still likely be half as tall as Godzilla in the 2020 film. I expect the 2020 film to follow roughly the same pattern as BvS in this sense, hopefully minus the shit editing and unnecessarily weird supervillains.

Will Godzilla and Kong both have a mother called "Martha"?

If the two monsters fight I think it's ok for Kong to be a bit smaller - he just needs to be in the same ball park

20 hours ago, red snow said:

I expect they will be fairly similar in size when the two films eventually come out.

The whole point of Kong's tremendous mountain like size in this film is that he is set in the Godzilla universe. Otherwise the size of him in the King Kong film by Jackson would have been fine. They also mentioned that he is still growing which I guess will be used as an explanation for even greater size in 2020.

Saw the film this weekend. I quite liked it, amusing, worth seeing. Certainly not excellent but the reptiles were a passable antagonist I suppose. This made me do a comparison with the 2005 Peter Jackson films.

• I think both versions of Kong look awesome, and I like them, but in terms of size I prefer Jackson's Kong. Surely a Kong the size of a house, several times the size of a man, which is what he is in that film, is more than sufficient. 
  • Still, once you get used to his size in this new film, it's not an irritant. But it feels a lot stranger than 2005 Kong. I also feel that character was more expressive.
  • What brought the 2005 film down was that awful first hour of introduction. Once that is over it's a fine film to watch, but that is one of the slowest intros I can recall. Mercifully this one doesn't have that.
  • I do think this film lacks the real set pieces like the fight against theT-rexes in the 2005 film.

Archived