US Politics: Ask Fox News

3 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

So, tomorrow is Comey Monday. Any bets on whether something of importance will come up with the cameras rolling, or if it's going to be a first step out of the Russian swamp for Trump?

From what is sounds there is alot of smoke but no one can find the fire

8 hours ago, Rippounet said:

Sooo, no discussion about the budget? Is it too horrible to debate or do you guys think it's useless to discuss something that is bound to evolve -at least a little bit ?

I find it really worrying how much the USA spends on military. That would pay for clean water worldwide, and be much more productive.

It's also weird that America's conservative agenda is expanding the military. Surely the return on investment is zero. I know that there are enormously influential lobby groups like Lockheed-Martin who pile on pressure for the USA to keep renewing expensive contracts, and that manufacturing in the USA is now firmly tied to military spending...

But even still, that's a lot to be spending on blowing things up. Or, as is the case in the huge number of tanks they purchase but don't drive, that's a lot of obsolete technology to leave lying around for police forces to later buy and use to help quash the next protest against the 1%.

What's weirdest to me, though, is that it's as though this budget was specifically designed to most harm Drumpf's core supporters. And they're not at all bothered by this. They keep saying in interviews, "But we know he won't let anything happen to us," or they're saying, "Things are already better."

Just now, Yukle said:

What's weirdest to me, though, is that it's as though this budget was specifically designed to most harm Drumpf's core supporters. And they're not at all bothered by this. They keep saying in interviews, "But we know he won't let anything happen to us," or they're saying, "Things are already better."

Perhaps something like this:

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/trump-supporter-credits-him-obamacare-benefits

The Washington Post noted a health care anecdote out of Nashville that I read three times, just to make sure I wasn’t getting it wrong.

Soon after Charla McComic’s son lost his job, his health-insurance premium dropped from $567 per month to just $88, a “blessing from God” that she believes was made possible by President Trump.

“I think it was just because of the tax credit,” said McComic, 52, a former first-grade teacher who traveled to Trump’s Wednesday night rally in Nashville from Lexington, Tenn., with her daughter, mother, aunt and cousin.

The price change was actually thanks to a subsidy made possible by former president Barack Obama’s Affordable Care Act, which is still in place, not by the tax credits proposed by Republicans as part of the health-care bill still being considered by Congress.

Bang Your Head

Conservative nonsense will drive you mad.

Also,

GOPDND. That's hilarious.

43 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

“I think it was just because of the tax credit,” said McComic, 52, a former first-grade teacher who traveled to Trump’s Wednesday night rally in Nashville from Lexington, Tenn., with her daughter, mother, aunt and cousin.

Holy smokes, this idiot was a teacher?  We're doomed I tells ya, doomed.

Just now, Nasty LongRider said:

Yeah it's pretty depressing.

I've met or know quite a few people that have had gotten a chance at a decent education and spew all sorts of nonsense. Usually, it's because they get so neck deep in the conservative bubble, they don't hear anything else. 

21 hours ago, Triskan said:

Wow, here's that actual clip.  It's worse than it sounded with the intro.  What  the dude doing the intro says is worse than KG's which is is muted and subdued when you see it.   See for yourself, I suppose.  

who needs the secret service? is david huckabee not available?

The GOP clown show:

http://washingtonmonthly.com/2017/03/14/there-is-no-grand-strategy-to-repeal-obamacare/

I’d like to highlight what we’ve seen from conservatives/Republicans/the White House since then. If anyone can see a grand strategy here, I’d like to hear about it.

HHS Sec. Tom Price and OMB Director Mulvaney said you can’t believe what the CBO says.

No, you should believe what John Birch society sorts of people like Mulvaney say. Whether you're talking about flouride or the gold standard.

Speaker Paul Ryan praised the CBO report.

Evidently, contradicting Price and Mulvaney.

The White House produced a report that was even worse than CBO’s – suggesting that 26 million people would lose coverage.

Also, contradicting Price and Mulvaney.

Breitbart validated the CBO report by broadcasting the news that Paul Ryan’s plan would result in 24 million people losing their health insurance.

Seemingly contradicting Mulvaney, Price, and Ryan.

Almost simultaneously, Breibart released a tape from last October in which Ryan said he was abandoning Trump forever and wouldn’t support him.

Evidently, at this point, Ryan didn't know Trump wanted to cut taxes for the wealthy. But, now that he knows, it's all good.

The easier position to defend is that this is a party that doesn’t know how to govern and it’s being exposed for its inadequacies. The silver lining is that it could be good news for the 24 million people who want to keep their health insurance.

When all you can do is say, "The Free Market!!" (that and of course cranking out nutty conspiracy theories), and haven't really thought about policy is it any surprise when it turns out you don't know what the fuck you're doing?

^^^^^What a cluster fuck!  Briebert in there putting knives in Ryan's back is just so funny!  They keep throwing each other anchors, go ahead, throw some more around.

Baehner is somewhere drunk and laughing his ass off. 

Trump's current ratings: 37%

http://www.gallup.com/poll/201617/gallup-daily-trump-job-approval.aspx

But, maybe that is not the most interesting thing. Let's see how he's doing in Republican land:

Republicans - 88%

Liberal Republicans (though I didn't know such a thing really existed these days. I'd call them "less crazy" Republicans. But, anyway.) - 70%

Conservative Republicans - 90%

Breaking this down a little more by groups that identify as liberal, moderate, conservative:

Liberal - 10%

Moderate - 33%

Conservative - 74%

Now file this away, in the old brain housing group, for later information retrieval, when you start hearing, "but, but he wasn't a 'true conservative!!!".

http://www.gallup.com/interactives/185273/presidential-job-approval-center.aspx

Possible Comey hearing outcomes, from best to worst:

Best-case scenario:
COMEY: "We have just concluded a thorough investigation into the president's ties to Russia. (Stands up, long FBI coat swirling.) NOW SEIZE THAT MAN!"

Optimistic scenario:
COMEY: "We are actively investigating possible connections between the president and Russia, but that's all I can say. Now, I'll leave the press to hammer Donald Trump with baseless speculations over the next 6 months and watch his polls numbers sink into the toilet. I'm out, bitches."

Worst-case scenario:
COMEY: "The FBI is not currently investigating any ties between the president and Russia. However, we have reopened investigations into Hillary Clinton's emails based on newly uncovered information. See ya."

Feel free to add other possible scenarios.

48 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

Feel free to add other possible scenarios

Better late than never scenario:

It's policy not to comment on any possible open investigations and I can't even say if there is an investigation or not. 

:rolleyes:

41 minutes ago, Leap said:
1 hour ago, denstorebog said:

Possible Comey hearing outcomes, from best to worst:

Best-case scenario:
COMEY: "We have just concluded a thorough investigation into the president's ties to Russia. (Stands up, long FBI coat swirling.) NOW SEIZE THAT MAN!" [Pulls off mask to reveal Barack Obama] 

FTFY.

:owned:

DJT owned by BHO!!!!   

Awesome sauce.

12 hours ago, Nasty LongRider said:

You know, there is a reason that many of us in academia make fun of or look down on Education classes. Traditionally they have been both among the easier, more boring, and least backed up by evidence parts of a college curriculum.

And people who end up teaching elementary school have usually majored in Education. High school teachers more likely majored in the subject they teach and effectively minored in Education.

So it wouldn't surprise me at all if elementary school teachers on the average were less adept at critical thinking than the average college graduate.

Jesus, we're back to the subjective interpretation of polls again. While Gallup sees Trump at his lowest ever, Rasmussen sees him continually improving and almost at 50/50. Either there's a ridiculous difference between anonymous responders (Gallup) and people who voted last time (Rasmussen), or we just have to stop looking at polls altogether.

Just now, denstorebog said:

Jesus, we're back to the subjective interpretation of polls again. While Gallup sees Trump at his lowest ever, Rasmussen sees him continually improving and almost at 50/50. Either there's a ridiculous difference between anonymous responders (Gallup) and people who voted last time (Rasmussen), or we just have to stop looking at polls altogether.

A couple of thoughts here:

1. Sometimes looking at trends is perhaps more important than just looking at the raw numbers. I would note on the Ramussen Poll, Trump had a 56% approval rating on Jan 20. He now has about 49%. That's a seven point drop. Under Gallup, it looks like he started with an approval rating of about 45% and now has about a 37% approval rating. That's an 8 point drop.

2. I don't think it's crazy to think that people who voted last time might have a higher opinion of Trump than people who didn't vote ,on average. And we know, I believe, that lots of people didn't vote. Of course, why they didn't vote, and then complain about Trump is a mystery to me.

21 hours ago, denstorebog said:

If we're going to be able to focus on the actual issues instead of misdirection and self-promotion, we need to be a lot better at differentiating between what Trump says because he genuinely believes it, and what he says because it makes him look good to the degenerates.

I think this is a mistake.  He's a narcissist.  If he thinks something will make him look good to his voters, he's gonna own the shit out of it.... until it doesn't at which point he will change.  But when he's for it, he's for it 100%.  There are numerous examples of this.  We should take everything from his mouth as if it's literal, because it is.... until it isn't.  And the only way to make him walk back his crazy talk is to keep reacting as if everything he says he genuinely believes.  Because he does.

The hearings this morning.

My, my, my, the Republicans really want to nail leakers. They want to make sure a Michael Flynn never gets outed again, so a Trump can keep him on his staff. Representative Trey Gowdy (R) really pounded Comey on the fact of the leak of Flynn's name.

Archived