US Politics: Ask Fox News

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I know its probably not en vogue to look at poll aggregators any more, but according to 538 Trump has about a 43/52 rating. There has been a slight, measurable uptick in his disapproval numbers recently, probably all emanating from healthcare reform.

Well, gee, given that 538 is the one poll aggregator that it seems to me did get the 2016 election right (they said Trump had about a 30% chance of winning, which given how close the election was seems very reasonable I would certainly think 38 is still well worth looking at. 

10 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Sadder still when IT'S NOT EVEN CLOSE. I don't think we've ever seen incompetence on this level. I'm not sure there's anything even comparable. Rob Ford maybe? The Flint Water failure, I guess? 

Honestly, my take on Trump from early on was that it was as if Americans saw Rob Ford and declared they could do it bigger and better.

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, you're right. In terms of scale it's not truly comparable. 

Yeah, as crappy as he was, Ford could fuck with zoning issues and commandeer fleets of public transport buses for personal usage. Trump has nuclear codes and can basically start WWIII. 

36 minutes ago, Toth said:

You know, speaking more eloquently than Trump is a very, very, very, very low bar to step over.

Like seriously, I can't even listen to this guy. My English teacher used to joke about how simple Bush jr. puts his words, but she's likely shaking her head in disbelief listening to the nonsense he sprouts. But I guess that's just the way his base needs their hate-speeches.

I've said this before, but I believe the way Trump speaks is a key component of why some voters love him. It's exceedingly simple, yes, and so they never feel he's talking down to them.

Pence, being the more competent person, would not neccesarrily be a good thing though. If the Orange nutjob cannot stay focused on implementing his agenda, why would we want to replace him with a religious zealot, but able minded 2nd in command who will stay focussed and actually get more terrible stuff accomplished. I'd rather not see Pence in there, let the Donald keep burrying himself. Before the terms over he will have all sides united against him and in 4 years we could go back to having a real President again. Trump staying on the job and blabbing about conspiracy theories will slow down the bad policy from getting passed.

Either way its sadly going to be a term that Americans will have to suffer through but thats the price you pay for electing a deranged person, the U.S. voted for this now they own it.

2 minutes ago, Notone said:

Why do I have to think of Ford's infamous I am a married man. I eat at home moment. And it sounds like something Trump could have said, word for word.

Aside from being at opposing extremes on substance abuse, there are all kinds of parallels if you allow for scale. Both inherited lucratative businesses but portray themselves as self-made men, both are famous for cronyism and corrupt business practices but embraced by their supporters as a refreshing alternative to political corruption and cronyism. Both came into office with troubling records re: personal behaviour that would normally make any political career DOA but generate so much controversy in the now that people generally forget about the past. Both have florid bombastic styles that supporters love and the rest find dumbfounding in it's appeal. Both tick the box on several 'isms' but somehow get a pass by blaming everything on liberal/biased media, even when it comes directly from their own mouths. Etc.

32 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Sadder still when IT'S NOT EVEN CLOSE. I don't think we've ever seen incompetence on this level. I'm not sure there's anything even comparable. Rob Ford maybe? The Flint Water failure, I guess? 

What if that incompetence is actually what is saving us?  What if the agenda being pursued is just your typical GOP agenda with a gross amount of incompetence from actually getting anything done?  

13 minutes ago, Commodore said:

The police surveiling and then leaking information about US citizens, Gowdy should be angry

Comey says they take it seriously, but why is no one ever prosecuted?

Lol, they go after journalists of course. Many of the leakers are likely elected members or personnel from the White House. How have news agencies been able to break news about all kinds of matters, including government plans? Parties leak all kinds of shit when it's to their advantage and then feign horror when it's not.

Holy fuck, Trump stood there last July and called on the Russians to hack Clinton. But now he screams at leaks and says but the Clinton leaks weren't confidential information!

He reminds me of that famous comment of Winston Churchill:

“Churchill: "Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?" Socialite: "My goodness, Mr. Churchill... Well, I suppose... we would have to discuss terms, of course... "
Churchill: "Would you sleep with me for five pounds?"
Socialite: "Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?!" Churchill: "Madam, we've already established that. Now we are haggling about the price”

23 minutes ago, aceluby said:

What if that incompetence is actually what is saving us?  What if the agenda being pursued is just your typical GOP agenda with a gross amount of incompetence from actually getting anything done?  

I get that angle, but what happens when 9/12 hits? Or we're looking at a true wartime situation? At that point, you're going to be begging for competence. 

3 minutes ago, Triskan said:

So it's confirmed not only that there's still an ongoing FBI investigation of Trump but also that it's been ongoing since July 2016.  So the FBI Director dropped the Clinton bombshell but never mentioned the other far more troubling investigation during the campaign.  Unreal. 

Which isn't a surprise given all his answers. Clinton email investigation was over. Trump investigation is still ongoing. It's why they never released that information in the Intelligence report about Russia interference.

28 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

He reminds me of that famous comment of Winston Churchill:

“Churchill: "Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?" Socialite: "My goodness, Mr. Churchill... Well, I suppose... we would have to discuss terms, of course... "
Churchill: "Would you sleep with me for five pounds?"
Socialite: "Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?!" Churchill: "Madam, we've already established that. Now we are haggling about the price”

[tangent] Churchill never said this. [/tangent]

Archived