Video Games: Dawn of Waaaaagh!

Werthead

2 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

So how is Mass Effect? I can't get too far into the trial--I don't know if this is because of the game or because I subconsciously know there is a timer. Sometimes that really effects me. The reviews seem good to really rough. I'm so on the fence about this. I guess I just wanted Shepard, Garrus, Grunt, Legion, Tali, Miranda, Thane, Aria, Wrex, Mordin, EDI, and Javik to come back. 

And, again, Legion. He was so cool. For two missions.

I had a good discussion on this with my ME2 replay.  I was going Renegade and decided to say "F@&$ it... I'm getting Legion now." Got him right after Haestrom, but wish I had gotten him before that.  Took him on every mission in the last half of the game.  Dr. Chakwas was very judgemental of me.  You'd think she would just be grateful to have been rescued... but noooooo it's all "I watched everyone turned into goo while you took your sweet time!!!"

Made it really hard when I decided at the last second that I couldn't let Legion download the Reaper code to the Geth.  Put three bullets in him.  Hitting that Renegade action button was not easy. :crying: 

I played a bit of Andromeda. While the face animation is bad, and it even diminishes what I think is good voice acting, the rest of the animation is quite good. But I haven't gotten the hang of the combat yet. I keep pressing the space bar because that's what I used to access the command hud in the previous games, but I'm not even sure the command hud is even a thing in this one. So I keep jumping like an idiot, instead.

1 minute ago, Corvinus said:

I played a bit of Andromeda. While the face animation is bad, and it even diminishes what I think it is good voice acting, the rest of the animation is quite good. But I haven't gotten the hang of the combat yet. I keep pressing the space bar because that's what I used to access the command hud in the previous games, but I'm not even sure the command hud is even a thing in this one. So I keep jumping like an idiot, instead.

Change the key bindings. 

29 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

There's also that movie where the guy got trapped in the crevice in the desert and had to chop his own arm off to escape.

That had quite large segments with other characters on screen.

5 hours ago, Fez said:

I almost mentioned All is Lost, and Cast Away, as examples of where this did happen; but Cast Away had pretty long sections at the beginning and end with other characters (plus Tom Hanks as the star back when big actors were a box office draw by themselves) and All is Lost barely made its money back. Not exactly a promising example.

I know of Life of Pi was a huge success, but I didn't see it. Is the kid alone for all/nearly all of the movie?

I too would love to see a movie adaption of a video game that was focused on a personal story though, and I think Firewatch is a good candidate. 

Life of Pi isn't a solo movie in the the way All is Lost is. It has several scenes with other characters.

20 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Well I won't if there is no command hud. I didn't see that among the key bindings. Is there?

No there's not. Just the 3 abilities you have on your quick bar now. You can't give your party members commands anymore, except to make them move to a certain spot. One of the changes I'm not happy about. 

7 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

No there's not. Just the 3 abilities you have on your quick bar now. You can't give your party members commands anymore, except to make them move to a certain spot. One of the changes I'm not happy about. 

Yeah, this and the general floatiness of the combat are two things that'll probably keep me from buying it, at least so far.  I'm still in the trial but there's a lot of little things just irking me.  

28 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

I agree, but in one of their videos they said you can coordinate combo actions with your squad mates. How can you do that, if you can't issue commands?

21 minutes ago, MerenthaClone said:

Yeah, this and the general floatiness of the combat are two things that'll probably keep me from buying it, at least so far.  I'm still in the trial but there's a lot of little things just irking me.  

Among the little things that I find annoying: accessing the map essentially activates the menu, so you have to Escape twice to get back to the game.

9 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I agree, but in one of their videos they said you can coordinate combo actions with your squad mates. How can you do that, if you can't issue commands?

Among the little things that I find annoying: accessing the map essentially activates the menu, so you have to Escape twice to get back to the game.

I had this problem as well, if you press Tab it takes you straight back into the game. 

The way combos work is that certain abilities will set an enemy up for a combo activation. When the enemy you're aiming at is susceptible to one the ability on your hot bar will blink, and if you use it on them they'll explode or catch on fire or something and it does loads more damage. 

1 hour ago, KiDisaster said:

I had this problem as well, if you press Tab it takes you straight back into the game. 

The way combos work is that certain abilities will set an enemy up for a combo activation. When the enemy you're aiming at is susceptible to one the ability on your hot bar will blink, and if you use it on them they'll explode or catch on fire or something and it does loads more damage. 

So you have to wait for a squad mate to initiate the first ability to set up the combo? I thought it could work either way. It should be simple enough for the squadmate AI routines to follow up with a combo as long as their ability isn't on cooldown and they are in range. Can you set ability uses like you could in Dragon Age? If enemy is asleep, use horror, for instance. 

13 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So you have to wait for a squad mate to initiate the first ability to set up the combo? I thought it could work either way. It should be simple enough for the squadmate AI routines to follow up with a combo as long as their ability isn't on cooldown and they are in range. Can you set ability uses like you could in Dragon Age? If enemy is asleep, use horror, for instance. 

The way it works is certain abilities are combo primers and others are combo detonators. So flamethrower for example is a primer, when you use it on unshielded enemies they catch on fire and then if you or one of your teammates hits them with a combo detonator (like Concussive Shot or Overload) it pops and they take a ton of damage. 

As far as I know you can hit the enemy with the primer and detonator yourself, or detonate enemies your squadmates primed, and they can detonate enemies you've primed. It's kinda random unless you do it all yourself though because you can't tell your damn teammates when to use their abilities. So dumb. 

As far as I know there's no way to set ability priorities either, no. They just use stuff when they feel like it. Which keeps leading to Cora bio-charging at enemies who are in the air that are already about to die and then just falling to the ground looking like a moron. 

Got to play a couple hours of MEA last night. Made it through the initial quest. I'm still trying to get the combat down. First thing that really annoyed me is I couldn't change my shooting arm when sitting in cover. Perhaps I'm just an idiot and couldn't figure it out, but I refuse to believe that you just stick as a right handed shooter throughout the game. Trying to get the jump booster thing down. I'm fine jumping rock to rock but using it in combat is a different animal. I need some more reps to get that down.

The ridiculous facial animations are apparent. It's been pointed out, and I now see it. That won't affect the way I play or view the game. Annoying yes, and that shouldn't be an issue with games in 2017, but get over it. Don't know enough about the game to comment on the story. Like I said, just a couple hours in. Seems like a game that ME players will like, just not sure if it will be a classic. Reviews would say no to that, but I'll come to my own conclusion.  

4 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

I think the floatiness is better than it was in 3, but it still lacks that satisfying impact and weight that ME2's combat had. 

Shotguns and a few of the Sniper Rifles feel pretty satisfying; all the Assault Rifles and Pistols I've used so far have felt pretty floaty. I haven't messed around with all the abilities yet, but it seems like tech does more damage than biotic, but biotic feels better. Though other than some of the Wave 6/7 enemies in multiplayer (which I assume will show up in the campaign eventually too), charge>nova>melee kills just about everything and feels good; sometimes there's a shotgun blast before the melee if needed. The jumpjet is an issue too. I like what it does for combat mobility, but too often it causes you to get caught on outcroppings; only for fractions of a second, but enough to add to the floatiness feeling.

I guess I've played for around 16 hours now; though I restarted my character yesterday since I wasn't happy with how the first one looked and I've played a decent amount of multiplayer, so I'm not that far in the game. Just finished up Eos; or at least the first main story quest there and came back to the Nexus. It still mostly feels like Mass Effect to me, especially when I'm on the Tempest, so it was very worth the $59 to me; even with the well-documented flaws surrounding some of it.

1 hour ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Got to play a couple hours of MEA last night. Made it through the initial quest. I'm still trying to get the combat down. First thing that really annoyed me is I couldn't change my shooting arm when sitting in cover. Perhaps I'm just an idiot and couldn't figure it out, but I refuse to believe that you just stick as a right handed shooter throughout the game. Trying to get the jump booster thing down. I'm fine jumping rock to rock but using it in combat is a different animal. I need some more reps to get that down.

The ridiculous facial animations are apparent. It's been pointed out, and I now see it. That won't affect the way I play or view the game. Annoying yes, and that shouldn't be an issue with games in 2017, but get over it. Don't know enough about the game to comment on the story. Like I said, just a couple hours in. Seems like a game that ME players will like, just not sure if it will be a classic. Reviews would say no to that, but I'll come to my own conclusion.  

Press alt to flip your aimpoint when in cover.  This irritated me for several hours. And nah, still far floatier than ME3 for me.  I played a ton of ME3's MP and never felt this weird about it.  My favorite class was the Fury, who basically zipped around and required there to be some kind of feedback, so.  

It seems Asari reproduction could have been inspired by a rare form of parthenogenesis called gynogenesis.

A form of asexual reproduction related to parthenogenesis is gynogenesis. Here, offspring are produced by the same mechanism as in parthenogenesis, but with the requirement that the egg merely be stimulated by the presence of sperm in order to develop. However, the sperm cell does not contribute any genetic material to the offspring. Since gynogenetic species are all female, activation of their eggs requires mating with males of a closely related species for the needed stimulus. Some salamanders of the genus Ambystoma are gynogenetic and appear to have been so for over a million years.... In addition, the amazon molly is known to reproduce by gynogenesis.

Interesting.

I've barely had time to play ME:A post-release because of work, but I did manage last night to clear out several missions on the Nexus that I'd missed the first time through (or that were new) and made it to the next planet after Eos. My crew looks to be fully assembled at this point and I'm already starting to warm up to them. My favorite at this point is probably Drack, who brings a different perspective as an older, more grizzled and even-keeled Krogan.

Really looking forward to the weekend so I can dive into the gameplay head first.

I find the combat in Andromeda quite challenging right now. The absence of the command hud and the detailed environment (at least on that first planet) makes me feel like I'm fighting alone every time. I hear the voices of the NPCs, but there is way too much stuff to track. I also prefer the cover system in ME2 and 3, rather than this intuitive cover system.

Also, at what point can you actually add the various shit you pick up to your gear? 

Archived