Video Games: Dawn of Waaaaagh!

Werthead

Caligula - you listed off all the stuff that did bother me in the game pretty much. The Architect fights in particular really annoyed me, I wondered if it was because I first encountered the one on Voeld and the game expected me to do have already done the one on Eeos, but when I went back and found that one I didn't get a big "WTF was that?" - I just get the same "quick, interface with its head!" umm...when did we find that out? Does it work if you do Eeos first?

Overall I think a lot of the problems ultimately stem from trying to make it into the true open world game. Skyrim blew up along with the Witcher games and they've tried to copy that particular attribute in both DA:I and ME:A, and I just don't think it works for the way they write. The exploration and making the planets viable is great and all, but Bioware work better running a more straight line narrative - yes give the player the illusion of control over which planet is first, how you go about making it viable etc, but have the passing of time be much clearer. Have the gatekeeping of particular content behind this passing of time etc.

I guess the most disappointing thing is that just like ME3 I feel there is a truly brilliant (and different to that game, suffering different problems) within this game but its just brought down by flaws. As I said before, I just hope its still been successful enough to not get cut - and I do think its still sold pretty well? Just getting massacred by criticism despite the sales.

13 hours ago, AndrewJ said:

Yeah, the difficulty increases and the boss fights can be fairly challenging. But you're right - the game as very much about learning each enemy's weakness and exploiting it to the fullest. As you're finding, managing your SP to get as far as possible before it runs out is key (at least until you gain ways to mitigate lost SP).

Yep, after my second venture into the castle I got up to the tower area and now the enemies are all at a much higher level than me. I think I'm level 9 and everything I'm fighting is like level 16 or something. Had to back out again after nearly dying. I have 8 or 9 days left till the deadline. As far as I know there's no way to level outside of just combat so I guess I'll have to go grind on the lower levels of the castle for a while. Now it feels like a proper JRPG :P

8 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Yep, after my second venture into the castle I got up to the tower area and now the enemies are all at a much higher level than me. I think I'm level 9 and everything I'm fighting is like level 16 or something. Had to back out again after nearly dying. I have 8 or 9 days left till the deadline. As far as I know there's no way to level outside of just combat so I guess I'll have to go grind on the lower levels of the castle for a while. Now it feels like a proper JRPG :P

I haven't really found a need to grind out levels much. I recall the encounter you mention. And that does happen on a couple of occasions - meeting a single, significantly higher enemy. You might not beat him first time up - but through every different type of attack at him and learn what he's weak to. Then come back (healed up and with sufficient SP) and you should be able to spam effective attacks from the start, rather than burn turns on learning what works. And you can use characters with no effective attacks to heal/buff/debuff.

So yeah - treat the first attempt as a practice run. You should be able to win second time round.

4 hours ago, AndrewJ said:

I haven't really found a need to grind out levels much. I recall the encounter you mention. And that does happen on a couple of occasions - meeting a single, significantly higher enemy. You might not beat him first time up - but through every different type of attack at him and learn what he's weak to. Then come back (healed up and with sufficient SP) and you should be able to spam effective attacks from the start, rather than burn turns on learning what works. And you can use characters with no effective attacks to heal/buff/debuff.

So yeah - treat the first attempt as a practice run. You should be able to win second time round.

If you mean the guy in the Chapel who's like a mini-boss I had gotten past him before that other post. I ran into some guys who were red (on the Thief Vision thing or whatever it's called) shortly after and assumed that the rest of the enemies for the rest of the dungeon would also be a higher level than me but most of them weren't. I finished the first dungeon tonight without having to do any grinding so that was nice. 

Now I'm trying to balance the dozen or so things I want to do with the fact that I can only do one per day (or two on Sundays). It's frustrating :P 

If it makes you feel any better - trying to balance everything you want/need to do only gets a lot worse. :lol:

Balancing everything you want to do is really at the core of the game. From trying to get the most from your SP and getting as far as possible in a dungeon in a single day - to trading off between spending time with confidants, raising stats and earning money.

On 20/04/2017 at 1:30 AM, RumHam said:

Nintendo reportedly working on min-SNES

I'd imagine people are going to pre-order the shit out of these once they're announced. 

I imagine they could make it the size of a smartwatch, though I suppose they will be using the traditional wired controller rather than make a bluetooth one.

Blizzard is giving away Star Craft and the Brood Wars expansion for free, so I picked them up yesterday. If I enjoy the campaign I may just end up buying SC2, so giving SC away for free isn't a silly move.

Started playing some Overwatch again. Didn't mean to; just happened. I like the new temporary PVE mode, seems a lot more fleshed out than the Halloween one was (if there were others, I missed them), but it still gets old after a few matches. Which is why I suspect Blizzard's been so resistant on adding a permanent PVE option. The gameplay systems (and the maps) just don't lend themselves towards anything robust enough for that. 

Just now, Fez said:

Started playing some Overwatch again. Didn't mean to; just happened. I like the new temporary PVE mode, seems a lot more fleshed out than the Halloween one was (if there were others, I missed them), but it still gets old after a few matches. Which is why I suspect Blizzard's been so resistant on adding a permanent PVE option. The gameplay systems (and the maps) just don't lend themselves towards anything robust enough for that. 

It's definitely possible to create new gameplay systems to facilitate PVE, though.  Team Fortress 2 did it pretty successfully with MvM mode for a while before they stopped adding new content for it.  A lot of people still play MvM, though.

13 hours ago, briantw said:

Just a heads up, anyone who has both Amazon Prime and a linked Twitch account can grab Kentucky Route Zero, a well-rated adventure game, for free for the next four days.

https://blog.twitch.tv/twitch-prime-members-travel-to-the-bluegrass-state-in-kentucky-route-zero-28b0cf7014b7

I'm an Amazon Prime member, but don't know anything about Twitch Prime... this feels like a game I should probably get though.  :lol:  @MisterOJ and @Ded As Ned

Just a heads up, anyone who has both Amazon Prime and a linked Twitch account can grab Kentucky Route Zero, a well-rated adventure game, for free for the next four days.

https://blog.twitch.tv/twitch-prime-members-travel-to-the-bluegrass-state-in-kentucky-route-zero-28b0cf7014b7

Did the final episode of that game ever come out? Knowing it was unfinished for so long was what always held me back from getting it.

It's definitely possible to create new gameplay systems to facilitate PVE, though.  Team Fortress 2 did it pretty successfully with MvM mode for a while before they stopped adding new content for it.  A lot of people still play MvM, though.

Sure, but the keyword there is "new" and it seems that the Overwatch dev team has been focused on continuing to polish and expand the systems that are already in place. Making sure the new characters and maps slide into the existing meta without disrupting anything, and relentlessly testing balance changes before implementing them, stuff like that.

And if they have been working on something new, it'd probably make business sense to hold off on implementing it until they need a carrot to lure players back because the playerbase has gotten too small.

On 4/17/2017 at 1:07 AM, Simon Steele said:

I think there are a lot of us--but a lot of apologists too. I read an article the other day where the interviewer was telling one of the Bioware guys that basically "complainers" were ruining the game due to "some bad animations." The game has so many more problems than its animations. And, oh, by the way, those animations are pretty awful. I don't see Bioware turning it around (this is unfortunate--I want them to turn it around, I loved Mass Effect 1 and 2 and some of 3). They seem like they outright refuse to hear criticism. 

It's the EA effect, we all knew it was a matter of time. :( I loved ME3, warts and all, DA:I was fun-ish and I just wanted Andromeda to be passable fare. But playing this game is like watching the family dog wasting away from age, eventually it just needs to be taken to the vet to be put down. That's what Andromeda is for me, it's seeing my favoritest studio lying on its side in a puddle of filth barely able to draw breath for the pain of its failing body, and the eyes... It's the eyes. All the pain and fear has faded out of them to be replaced by a simple desire by the beast to finally let go of the life to which its family has selfishly clung too long, ignoring the signs and causing more damage to everyone than we'd ever thought previously possible. 

Now our memory of the studio that brought us KotOR and Mass Effect and helped create other vestiges of our cultural persona will always be marred by the descent from youthful vitality that culminated in Andromeda being unable to gain purchase on the waiting lap of those who wanted only to spend time with it. 

Or somethin' like that.

I picked up FFX Remastered for the PS4 the other day on a whim of nostalgia.  Cranked up the game just to see the pretty graphics in HD but got sucked in for a 6 hour session the other night.  I think I'll keep going.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

I'm an Amazon Prime member, but don't know anything about Twitch Prime... this feels like a game I should probably get though.  :lol:  

Basically you just need to link your Twitch account with your Amazon account.

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

It's the EA effect, we all knew it was a matter of time. :( I loved ME3, warts and all, DA:I was fun-ish and I just wanted Andromeda to be passable fare. But playing this game is like watching the family dog wasting away from age, eventually it just needs to be taken to the vet to be put down. That's what Andromeda is for me, it's seeing my favoritest studio lying on its side in a puddle of filth barely able to draw breath for the pain of its failing body, and the eyes... It's the eyes. All the pain and fear has faded out of them to be replaced by a simple desire by the beast to finally let go of the life to which its family has selfishly clung too long, ignoring the signs and causing more damage to everyone than we'd ever thought previously possible. 

Now our memory of the studio that brought us KotOR and Mass Effect and helped create other vestiges of our cultural persona will always be marred by the descent from youthful vitality that culminated in Andromeda being unable to gain purchase on the waiting lap of those who wanted only to spend time with it. 

Or somethin' like that.

Man... I feel like I need to go watch Old Yeller now or something...  :crying: 

2 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Or somethin' like that.

Again though, it wasn't your favorite studio, it was Bioware: Montreal, a studio which had never made a full game on its before. Your favorite studio is Bioware: Edmonton, which made both ME3 and DA:I (separate teams though), has been working on some secret new IP ever since wrapping up work on those.

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

Again though, it wasn't your favorite studio, it was Bioware: Montreal, a studio which had never made a full game on its before. Your favorite studio is Bioware: Edmonton, which made both ME3 and DA:I (separate teams though), has been working on some secret new IP ever since wrapping up work on those.

I thought Mass Effect 3 was pretty great up until the last act when it completely shit itself and nothing you did actually ended up mattering, but I found Inquisition to be very boring after about ten hours.  It was fun at first because it was pretty and a new Dragon Age game, but once the initial charm wore off it just seemed like Operation: Fetch Quest.  Like, I'm the leader of the fucking army.  Why am I out here picking flowers?

Archived